Automatic power poles placement should consider coverage

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Automatic power poles placement should consider coverage

Post by Harkonnen604 »

Case - running (or sandbox WASD scrolling / mouse movement) to place power poles to power up drills when they are in classic layout back to back with 1 tile spacing for poles. Current pole placement considers only a new pole being linked to other poles, but it does not consider if something gets powered. For mining - with run-and-place-poles approach many necessary poles are skipped because they are close enough to other poles, eventually some drills are not connected and you have to carefully manually click every row at certain distance. My suggestion - automatic power poles placement algo with left mouse button held should track unpowered entities as well. This may also help powering smelting lines and long assembly machine lines with all their inserters.

In details - as I see how current algorithm works in the woods - with left button held game tracks if a pole can be put here (no obstacles + range to nearby poles). Once it detects a tile where a pole is out of range, it places a pole in the last tile meeting those criterias. Proposed algorithm adjustment - with every tile investigated check for unpowered entities that would become powered by a pole placed in current tile, keep track of these entities. Once at a new under-mouse tile some entity tries to leave this list, place a pole at the last investigated valid position. I.e. current cutoff criteria all-other-poles-are-out-of-range should be extended with or-some-entity-that-could-be-powered-will-not-be-powered.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Automatic power poles placement should consider coverage

Post by British_Petroleum »

hmmmmmm that would be nice. What I've often wanted was a way to drag poles such that there are no gaps in the coverage, which would be simpler to implement & require less processing and you're guaranteed to power everything.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”