Build/Destroy Queue

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

azoundria
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Build/Destroy Queue

Post by azoundria »

The game's current response when you are not close enough to build an item is to make an annoying sound and display 'You need to get closer...'. Perhaps the developers feel lonely and I'm sure we would all be happier if we got closer, however I have a proposal.

1) Create a build/destroy queue. When a building is out of range, or overlaps an entity, it is added to the queue. Items in the queue display as 'ghosts' (half transparent) on the map.

2) Whenever an action is added or no movement is done (no shooting, no WASD) for a second, the player moves to a valid location and attemps to complete the action. The queue is ignored if the player has to move on their own (for example aliens are attacking) and there is a key to clear it.

3) Add the ability to add destruction of entire areas to the queue. For example, clearing forests.

4) Add the ability to build long conveyer belts (with correctly facing so materials get from point a to point b), pipes, power lines, railways, etc... to the queue.

5) You could add actions like despositing items in a chest, removing items from the chest, mining a certain amount, simply going to a location, depositing fuel in a device, entering a vehicle or train quickly.

HellEye
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Build/Destroy Queue

Post by HellEye »

Good ideas for me. Maybe making destroy queue with those ghostly buildings is little bit to complicated, making long transport belts will be handy and cutting down whole forest will save tons of derping around.
Should be implemented.

Angelic
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Angelic »

+1 from me in one way or another

Creating ghosts when you're too far until you actually get close gets my vote for sure.
As for automating the character once you haven't done anything in a while...I dunno, to be honest. It would be very handy, but it might be a bit difficult to program (?) and in an RPG-style game it's a bit out of character. Not saying "no", I'm just not sure about that one.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

azoundria wrote:The game's current response when you are not close enough to build an item is to make an annoying sound and display 'You need to get closer...'. Perhaps the developers feel lonely and I'm sure we would all be happier if we got closer, however I have a proposal.
azoundria wrote: 1) Create a build/destroy queue. When a building is out of range, or overlaps an entity, it is added to the queue. Items in the queue display as 'ghosts' (half transparent) on the map.

2) Whenever an action is added or no movement is done (no shooting, no WASD) for a second, the player moves to a valid location and attemps to complete the action. The queue is ignored if the player has to move on their own (for example aliens are attacking) and there is a key to clear it.

3) Add the ability to add destruction of entire areas to the queue. For example, clearing forests.

4) Add the ability to build long conveyer belts (with correctly facing so materials get from point a to point b), pipes, power lines, railways, etc... to the queue.
We were planning this mechanism for the building robots, what would you think about that? (You wouldn't have to go there at all, the building robots would build/clear it).
This would be needed especially for stuff like blueprints of larger concepts.

NatLaTomate
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NatLaTomate »

For a robot, that's ok, but for the main character, that's not really realistic: the character think about all the things that he has to do... you have to think as your hero, your hero can't think about a building here, an engine here, an inserter here in the same time ! If the player don't have to remember what he has to do, that's less funny... (I think)
I'm not really sure you understand my idea :oops: :?

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

For the character it can be weird op and annoying

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

construction bots....
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”