Hotkey bar being actual inventory slots is weird

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Hotkey bar being actual inventory slots is weird

Post by sparr »

Coming from games like Minecraft, I am very uncomfortable with the control paradigm presented in Factorio, where the hotkey bar contains 10 extra inventory slots, instead of just being pointers to items in my inventory.

I would love a mode where the hotkey filter system automatically applies to anything I put in a hotkey slot, instead of me having to constantly empty the slot, choose the new item from the filter menu, etc.

AlexPhoenix
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Hotkey bar being actual inventory slots is weird

Post by AlexPhoenix »

this may be strange, but i agree with you, linking to inventory will be better

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

I asked that question last year
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 07&p=14354
don't know what the devs think about it, but yes you are not the only ones that keep wondering :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think this is a bit odd, but currently not important, because it is playable after little adaption.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Phantasm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Phantasm »

It sure feels strange early on. But one can adapt to it sure. Though, it might be better for new players to get into the game easier with system similar to virtually every other game using quick toolbars.

I don't think it would be much work to change this. But would obviously need increasing the normal inventory size by 10 (and another 10 with research for second one) to keep current amount of effective inventory space.

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

sparr wrote:Coming from games like Minecraft, I am very uncomfortable with the control paradigm presented in Factorio, where the hotkey bar contains 10 extra inventory slots, instead of just being pointers to items in my inventory.
How is it different from Minecraft? The toolbar on Minecraft is also inventory slots and aren't just shortcuts. The main difference is that Minecraft has a lot more tools while Factorio has separate slots for picks and 3 primary weapons (and ammo).

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

The only diference with minecraft is that you can pick a item from the inventory and place ot in the world without putting it in the hotbar, like in terraria.

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

I think the main issue here is that it's easy to 'lose' things when they autofill on the selection bar rather than going straight to the inventory. So there really should be a non-convoluted option to not allow this behaviour. So only things you specifically put on the selection bar will be there. (Inventory or not it shouldn't matter). Now that being said. Currently you can 'lock' items onto the selection bar with the middle mouse button. Which is what I mean by it being somewhat convoluted.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”