Put cursor item back in filtered toolbelt slot when changing

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Put cursor item back in filtered toolbelt slot when changing

Post by JasonC »

Currently if you have a filter set on all of your toolbelt slots, e.g.:

If you pick up one of the items from the toolbelt, then immediately go to pick up another, it'll try to put the item you're holding in the slot of the item you're picking, up, which leads to "only whatever can go in this slot". So when you're working with the toolbelt, you always have to put the current item down before picking up another one.

So the feature request is: When you pick an item off the toolbelt, if the item you're currently holding already has a matching filter in the toolbelt, put it back in that slot, instead of trying to swap it with the item you're picking up.

That way you'll be able to easily switch between different items in the tool belt in just one click.

Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Khaylain
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Put cursor item back in filtered toolbelt slot when changing

Post by Khaylain »

I too would like this feature in the game. The first time I changed active items without placing the first item back in it's spot I got really confused by how un-intuitive that was. Well, that was by using the number keys. Switching places should happen if you're clicking with your mouse, so that you can organanise your toolbelt.

@JasonC you could make it a habit to press the "Q" key on your keyboard to put the item back in the slot it was taken from before choosing anything else. That should help.

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

I would also like this to be implemented. In my opinion the 'q' hotkey is not really a solution. If you have a slot with a filter, and let's say you have an unfiltered empty slot BEFORE that filtered slot, and then you pick up the filtered stuff in hand, then press 'q' to put it back, it will put it in the other empty unfiltered slot, because I guess it is just looking for the first available entry. Sure you can say 'you should only put filters from left to right, don't leave a slot without filter' but somehow I used to press '3' for electric poles. When I started new game, I've put the electric pole filter to the third slot. When I pressed 'q' to put back the electric poles, they went to the first and second slot often, and that was pretty annoying. Sure, I should have added a filter to the first two slots too. But it seems to me this would be something which is pretty easy to implement (and could be turned off in options, if someone doesn't like it)

Sakata
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sakata »

Vote +1
Reason: All the reasons.

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

JasonC wrote:So the feature request is: When you pick an item off the toolbelt, if the item you're currently holding already has a matching filter in the toolbelt, put it back in that slot, instead of trying to swap it with the item you're picking up
I'll modify this feature request as follows:

Replace the completely braindead implementation of toolbar with a quickbar as it is found in other games. Namely, make the quickbar a "view" on the inventory instead of an extension of the inventory. This would also allow to display the total count for an item in the quickbar, instead of the kind of useless stack count that it displays right now. It would also make it much easier for you to check which items you currently have, because there's only one inventory to check instead of two.

And it would get rid of a host of other inconsistencies that I'm currently not thinking of.

The current implementation of "quickbar" (which is actually a second inventory) is just unintuitive and impractical.

(I understand that it's supposed to invoke the feeling of "belt of tools" that you carry, but give us all a break, since nobody carries diesel locomotives on an actual tool belt.)
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

What you describe here is how it works in 0.13.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Moved to implemented - for 0.13.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”