lay repeating underground pipes like power lines

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: lay repeating underground pipes like power lines

Post by Nic »

I think once this idea is introduced people demand things on the surface to work the same and that would destroy the game for me.
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

Zequez
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zequez »

I would rather have pipes that you can walk over them. Like that mod that I use but I cannot remember the name. It's much more convenient.

Eurofighter1200
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Eurofighter1200 »

Iam fine with how it now works its fun and not to easy

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

"not to easy" << What? Difficulty in the controls is bullshit. The game should be hard, not the keyboard input. (Well, okay, for games like QWOP that's okay.)
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Eurofighter1200
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Eurofighter1200 »

The controles are to hard?? I mean it on the gameplay mechanics if you can lay out the pipes like the energy poles its woukd really easy to build much pipes with diffrent liquids in a small place it actually its a good gameplay element you need space for the pipes and the underground pipes are a good solution.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

I wouldn't call the current method of laying underground pipes "difficult" personally. It is (needlessly) tedious and fiddly when you have a bit of a distance to cover. Doing it the same way powerlines are built sounds like a very good idea to me, takes away some of the not-fun bits and leaves more time for things that are actually challenging.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

glutamate
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by glutamate »

+1, assuming it's simple to implement. Devs response?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This is made sticky by Kovarex, that he "don't forget to implement this".
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

glutamate
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by glutamate »

Sweet :D

Love this game, and love the way it's being developed.

Cdr.MaS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cdr.MaS »

+1

dopefish
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dopefish »

sparr wrote:You can drag-and-run to lay down properly spaced power poles.
Oh god, you can? This changes everything!

Also yes, I support the same functionality for underground pipes, and also for underground belts.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

I don't know if this feature is useful for underground belts. Pipes block the space they are laid on, that's the reason they are used for longer tracks. Belts don't have this problem.

Well, but this would make is consistent with everything else, so I support this idea even for underground belts.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

dopefish
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dopefish »

Nova wrote:I don't know if this feature is useful for underground belts. Pipes block the space they are laid on, that's the reason they are used for longer tracks. Belts don't have this problem.

Well, but this would make is consistent with everything else, so I support this idea even for underground belts.
That's true, it's rare to use underground belts for long rows of belt since you can move over them anyway, but as you say, it'd be consistent so there's no reason not to do it.

jacksonJFord
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jacksonJFord »

I agree, this is a good idea, but i would imagine things like these will come naturally to the devs as they progress the game as it just makes sense.

But you never know :D

Thanks
Jackson
Feel Free To Check Out My YouTube Channel For Factorio Videos (Let's Play)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsf3QF ... oF9SfpLz-Q

Thanks - Jackson

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm, rereading this.

This has many aspects.

A) placing ghosts.

This doesn't work correct yet. Electric and fluids cannot be placed as ghost by running and holding mouse.
And it is for fluids not possible to see the range of underground pipes.

B) dragging

I see this need for poles, pipes, belts and rails.

My idea about this is: the placed entity have something I can drag. For belts, pipes, rails it could be the "end-part". The end-part for rails where introduced with 0.11. The pipes alread have end parts (difficult to see, when facing north). And the belts should become end parts, to see clearly, why the last piece of belt is not needed.
I drag the end-part and as long as I've enough items in my inventory it is just placed at the right point, trees are silently removed, if not matching into inventory it is destroyed. Placing as ghost will deconstruct the area first.
For poles this is eventually useful to show a drag handle, when we have a pole, with a single connection only. But not sure, eventually the handle should be shown on hovering.

There should be also the option to use alt while dragging, which aligns belts/rails/poles/pipes exactly vertical or horizontal (for rails also diagonal). And holding ctrl will build in a straight line, no pathfinding, no matter if there's a lake in-between, the stuff isn't built where not possible.

C) for pipes we need something to measure length, to see, how the pressure/level falls. To know when I need to add small pump.

D) a complete underground view? Suggested manny times.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Okay, I did think about this idea and did come to a conclusion: Whe should make it switchable if this behavior is wanted or not. Why? Because there are cases in which I exactly want the current system.
This is not only for underground pipes, but also for power poles and the other things.
Greetings, Nova.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

ssilk wrote: My idea about this is: the placed entity have something I can drag. For belts, pipes, rails it could be the "end-part". The end-part for rails where introduced with 0.11. The pipes alread have end parts (difficult to see, when facing north). And the belts should become end parts, to see clearly, why the last piece of belt is not needed.
I drag the end-part and as long as I've enough items in my inventory it is just placed at the right point, trees are silently removed, if not matching into inventory it is destroyed. Placing as ghost will deconstruct the area first.
For poles this is eventually useful to show a drag handle, when we have a pole, with a single connection only. But not sure, eventually the handle should be shown on hovering.
Something like that?

Slooney3
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Slooney3 »

bobingabout wrote:There's a mod somewhere that does these "Pipes link where you want them to" things, I think it's called pipe dream on the mods section.
I'm a bit of a noob, I don't know how to install mods.I can find lists of them but I don't know how to download them. LOL

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

Mods are now always packed as a .zip. Find the download link in the first post of the topic of the mod you want, and just place the .zip file in the mods folder of your factorio installation. You don't even need to extract it!

So to it will be like this: ...\Factorio\mods\mod.zip

Good luck :)
Ignore this

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”