Showing icons of science pack on technology

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Showing icons of science pack on technology

Post by Yaua »

I talked about this in FFF#128 : viewtopic.php?f=38&t=20847&start=360#p136136

In short : actually, in the tech tree, you have to click on the technology to see what kind of science packs are needed. My idea is to be able to toggle an option to show what kind of science packs are needed for each tecnhology not researched. This way, you can more easily choose which technology to research if you're short in X color science packs.

I made a visual example with my high skills in photomanipulation to help you to get the idea.

Tech tree with option off
Tech tree with the option acitvated
(Sorry for the bad presentation of images, I don't understand how to use the "spoiler" thing in the forum)
These are only illustration exemples of course, not accurate of real in-game science packs needed for each technologies etc... And it is simply for the idea : science packs can be (better) placed in other places, with more clear visual presentation etc...

And sorry if it has already has been discussed, I took a look but haven't found anything :P

[Koub] : fixed spoiler tags for you, they're tricky to use sometimes :)

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Showing icons of science pack on technology

Post by Oxyd »

This does look interesting. I'll show it to Albert and see what he thinks.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Not a new idea, I've had it posted in my subforum before, but it is a very good idea non the less.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yaua »

Oxyd wrote:This does look interesting. I'll show it to Albert and see what he thinks.
Nice :) Glad you like this idea !
bobingabout wrote:Not a new idea, I've had it posted in my subforum before, but it is a very good idea non the less.
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't found it ! I really tried to look for, but... haven't found ^^" Where is it ? If you want I can update my OP with a link directing to it !
Yep, I think it could be a nice improvement in the research tree : it could add a very useful information (in my opinion) which could help a lot to take some decisions while in tech-tree.

And thanks [Koub] for fixing spoilers in OP, it's infinitely better thanks to you ;)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yaua wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Not a new idea, I've had it posted in my subforum before, but it is a very good idea non the less.
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't found it ! I really tried to look for, but... haven't found ^^" Where is it ? If you want I can update my OP with a link directing to it !
Yep, I think it could be a nice improvement in the research tree : it could add a very useful information (in my opinion) which could help a lot to take some decisions while in tech-tree.
I don't know exactly where it is, it's burried somewhere on my subforum. I don't think it was ever made as an official game sugestion, so, you get bonus points for being the first to sugest it properly.

And as said, an idea I agree with, I'd find it useful myself.
I also have a Patreon.

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

Yaua wrote:
Oxyd wrote:This does look interesting. I'll show it to Albert and see what he thinks.
Nice :) Glad you like this idea !

And thanks [Koub] for fixing spoilers in OP, it's infinitely better thanks to you ;)
Don't worry, You have nothing to apologize for.

Even the greatest ideas encounter times where they must be brought back to the public discussion so that they are not lost and a good argument for an idea, such as the one you have made, is it's own justification.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yaua »

The Phoenixian wrote:Don't worry, You have nothing to apologize for.

Even the greatest ideas encounter times where they must be brought back to the public discussion so that they are not lost and a good argument for an idea, such as the one you have made, is it's own justification.
Your answers show me that I've no reason to worry, that's perfect, I wouldn't have wanted someone to be "angry" :P

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LazyLoneLion »

Just a small detail: there is no need to show all vials. Only highest one would be enough at least at the moment. Like only green if tech needs red+green, and only blue if tech needs red+green+blue.

Hakusho
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hakusho »

LazyLoneLion wrote:Just a small detail: there is no need to show all vials. Only highest one would be enough at least at the moment. Like only green if tech needs red+green, and only blue if tech needs red+green+blue.
But there is also Tech that needs red+green+blue and tech that needs red+green+alien IRC. But in general, yes i would like the idea if it was possible to somehow do it.

Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yaua »

LazyLoneLion wrote:Only highest one would be enough at least at the moment.
Hakusho wrote:But there is also Tech that needs red+green+blue and tech that needs red+green+alien IRC.
And I think too about newcomers ;) For people used to Factorio, it's logic that tech at blue level needs red and green... But if you show only blue icon, I fear it can be confusing. And there is the problem rised by Hakusho with this idea (which isn't bad.). May be put the latest vial with a biggest icon than the others ? This way, you see easily what is the latest color needed, but the others are still shown.
And if the tech-tree is like the preview we had, may be the vials can be put alongside the icons (and not over)(and not necessarily at the horizontal, verticality is a possibility too).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Hakusho wrote:
LazyLoneLion wrote:Just a small detail: there is no need to show all vials. Only highest one would be enough at least at the moment. Like only green if tech needs red+green, and only blue if tech needs red+green+blue.
But there is also Tech that needs red+green+blue and tech that needs red+green+alien IRC. But in general, yes i would like the idea if it was possible to somehow do it.
And don't forget mods too, when you get my alien science lab, you have 8 science packs in there, and the last 6 are all the top tier, but for different things, and most require 2 of them... Long story short, it's best to see all ingredients.

Speaking of only showing the highest though... needing science pack 1, and 2, and 3, and alien is often a bit much... when you're researching things that need science pack 3, is there really such a need to include science pack 1, and 2 also?
I also have a Patreon.

Hakusho
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hakusho »

bobingabout wrote:Speaking of only showing the highest though... needing science pack 1, and 2, and 3, and alien is often a bit much... when you're researching things that need science pack 3, is there really such a need to include science pack 1, and 2 also?
Maybe there could be a way to tag things as "basic science", like make a science potion image that is a 3rd red,green and blue each, or make a simple icon for "basic science". (I have no idea how you could do it, but it's just an idea)
On the other hand, for vanilla this would not make much sense. It would still be Basic Science or Red, Green + Alien.
And defining Red + Green as basic would also just be a very small step and maybe not worth the effort...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Well, the icons are what size, 64x64? 128x128 now? I think for 64x64 there should be plenty enough room for 16x16 icon images (half size of normal) across the bottom, I mean, it does it with modules on machines already now, that leaves enough room for 4 icons.
it doesn't need to even overlap the image itself, it could be placed under it.

Also, does it need to be a half size version of the science pack icon? for example, it could use a custom sprite for the indicator, that could just be a coloured pip, then you'd only need an 8x8 icon, or even smaller. and 8x8 is still enough room to draw a picture, or quarter size icon for custom research items in mods that aren't science packs.
I also have a Patreon.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

I made some figures to show how it could look like before I searched the forum to make sure this idea has not already been posted...well, here they are:
Figures

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Done for 0.15

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”