Finding items in the inventory the easy way

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Kadaban
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Finding items in the inventory the easy way

Post by Kadaban »

I was just searching my inventory for a specific (mod) item again when this idea came to my mind:
How about adding a simple highlight/flashy border/whatever you deem fit to the item in the inventory/belt when the player has his mouse cursor over it's matching counterpart in the crafting selection?

An Example: I was looking for a filter inserter and with the amount of mods installed and the bunch of other unrelated stuff in the inventory I looked through my inventory and didn't see one. So I crafted one and went "huh... where did it go?" only to see I actually had 5 others sitting in the inventory but I missed them.
Maybe even add different highlight colors as in green for "you already have it - right here!" and yellow as in "these are part of what you're hovering over"?

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Finding items in the inventory the easy way

Post by SilverWarior »

That is a realy good suggestion. I have been in your position for countless of times and I ususally don't even play with mods (easier to track game related bugs so I can help developers improve this game).

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

Kadaban wrote:I was just searching my inventory for a specific (mod) item again when this idea came to my mind:
How about adding a simple highlight/flashy border/whatever you deem fit to the item in the inventory/belt when the player has his mouse cursor over it's matching counterpart in the crafting selection?

An Example: I was looking for a filter inserter and with the amount of mods installed and the bunch of other unrelated stuff in the inventory I looked through my inventory and didn't see one. So I crafted one and went "huh... where did it go?" only to see I actually had 5 others sitting in the inventory but I missed them.
Maybe even add different highlight colors as in green for "you already have it - right here!" and yellow as in "these are part of what you're hovering over"?
Good suggestion. I've made the mistake myself several times. Especially when something goes to the hotbar and you're sitting there looking for it in the inventory lol.

Chrille
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chrille »

Obvious, intuitive, great!

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Really nice suggestion, I have added it to our todo list.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I also believe that when something is crafted, there should be visible visualisation where it went to the inventory.
Don't starve done it very nicely.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

This is the way we done it for 0.9:
Attachments
inventory-highlight.png
inventory-highlight.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 5308 times

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

I'd also like to have the ability to search in research window. I've spent a whole lot of time tracking down what I need to research to finally reach X. E.g alien research "bottle".

A textbox somewhere with full-text search over research name itself and what new research/items it gives would be awesome to have. Though I think it will need a whole new type of ingame UI. Haven't noticed text-input used yet outside menus.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Uh? That's so easy: You click on the wanted research and then on the icons below, until you come to a state, where you already researched.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

I always though having tabs for inventory might be ideal:

The inventory retains its current size and form, but 4 tabs are added based on crafting group.

when player opens up one of these tabs it will show all items in same order as they are in crafting side (to make it easier to find specific items - we have already memorized it anyway)

multiple stacks are shown as one item in said tabs with number showing total amount.

absent items are grey

Essentially these tabs would look and feel exactly like crafting tabs but instead of crafting on left click player would pick said item up.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

ssilk wrote:Uh? That's so easy: You click on the wanted research and then on the icons below, until you come to a state, where you already researched.
As a complete newb I had to click through about half the nodes to find what research gives me the blue science packs.

luarvic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by luarvic »

Oh mah, didnt saw this thread, and made new one with this post:
In mid-late game i have problem with searching specific items in my inventory. It goes like this:
1. I need for example fast inserter.
2. I searching and cant find it.
3. Making new one and staring at inventory to see how it appears in empty inventory slot.
4. Its not appearing in empty slot, so i starting to search it more focused, and finally, after 10-20s finding stack of 10 fast inserters.
What would be good is a tabs like in crafting window "logistic, production, etc", and when i press "logistic" i see all inserters, transport belts and etc.
Also highlighting last-created-item (not last-picking) would help.
Thank you for greatest game of all time!
kovarex wrote:This is the way we done it for 0.9:
Okay, this will do, i guess

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Also highlighting last-created-item (not last-picking) would help.
Highlighting an item in inventory when one hovers over in crafting screen would also be nice.

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

Is that a new font I see? It looks really good.

Or just an enhancement to the current one? It looks a lot sharper than the font in 0.8.8 (Least on my screen)

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

TGS wrote:
Is that a new font I see? It looks really good.

Or just an enhancement to the current one? It looks a lot sharper than the font in 0.8.8 (Least on my screen)
Actually it is an old font highlight, that has been lost couple of versions earlier due to some error:D

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”