Exchanging maps

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Exchanging maps

Post by n9103 »

He doesn't want to bloat the required info. Can you imagine what a pain in the ass it would be for someone to hand-copy more than 40 characters, should they have a need?
The basic need of this, is to share seeds so two people can generate the same map, rather than just trading the entire save folder.
Factorio already has everything you'd need to generate a map from a given seed, so long as all the variables match, why bloat the information more than needed?

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

n9103 wrote:Factorio already has everything you'd need to generate a map from a given seed, [...]
How??? o_O

Well, the COULD be the need to hand-copy the code, but well... ^^
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

It's there, didn't say it was accessible :p
The game already generates maps from given parameters, and it's a trivial task to make a random seed adjustable by the user.
By letting us have access to a string of characters to import and change those values, all the world gen parameters and the seed are set to the correct values, and the result *should* be the same as if you had gotten someone's brand new save folder.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

What about this+something similar to spore sharing?

You share an image, that is a normal image, but after the image data, there is more data, that is the game data, and just by dragging the image to the game, the game instas the map.

I think its something pwetty cool.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

ficolas wrote:What about this+something similar to spore sharing?

You share an image, that is a normal image, but after the image data, there is more data, that is the game data, and just by dragging the image to the game, the game instas the map.

I think its something pwetty cool.
It's super cool! Adding custom chunks to PNG is a thing I've wanted to try for a long time. But you know wat the old trailer says:
(In a deep voice with weird accent)You will have to start small.
I will definitely add this for 0.100.0 ;-)
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Using a picture is much more work than just some code. The problem with the large code (no hand-copy) also applies here.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Nova wrote:Using a picture is much more work than just some code. The problem with the large code (no hand-copy) also applies here.
What's the big deal with hand copying? It's a game, you're going to have to take the code from Factorio (on a computer) to Factorio (typically on another computer) 99.99999999% of the time. People are going to paste it into a post/email and the receiver is going to copy and paste that into Factorio, you don't cater to the minority you worry about the majority and after that you can think about making things easier if people are complaining. Even if you are at a friend's house you can use email or a txt file on a flash drive. If someone wants to do it manually, give them the option but why do it manually when there's no need to?

Also, is a picture Really that much more work? I mean you'd take a snapshot (just like when the you save a game) and then add some extra data (a string?) or use Steganography (.net) article: http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/22667 also (Java based) http://openstego.sourceforge.net
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Why should the code be human-readable, if you're only going to copy-paste it?

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Don't know. Maybe because you can manually edit the values. ^^
Greetings, Nova.

Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cordylus »

Implemented in 0.10.0

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

congrats on the 18 month necro to state the obvious. :roll:

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”