Option to scale up/down the GUI - Size of the GUI

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

( Tchey )
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Option to scale up/down the GUI - Size of the GUI

Post by ( Tchey ) »

On my computer, eeePC 901, the screen is small but it's in 1024x600 so it's ok for most of the games i play.

I'd like an option to scale the UI down, i don't need a so big hitpoints, or shortcuts, or research windows.

Here is a screenshot in "normal zoom" (F9) :
The UI is not huge, but still, if i could scale it to 50 or 75% i'll be more happy.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Option to scale up/down the GUI

Post by kovarex »

Hi, most of the gui is scalable already (Fonts, menu, non-game screens like save game, goal description screen etc).
If we wanted to scale the ingame gui that contains item slots, it would be quite a big step, as we would need to scale item icons as well, that is not technical problem, but I'm afraid that those icons would be to small to be recognizable.
We will try to experiment with this in the future.

noddie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by noddie »

I want to add my vote for this to become a feature. Playing this on a 2560x1440 resolution 27" monitor comes close to what I expect your fears are kovarex.

The icons in the hotbar, inventory, crafting menu etc are too small and I find my self leaning in closer to try and figure out what I'm looking at and for.

I could write a lot about scaling of UI elements and how important it is to remember that absolute pixels is not a good implementation given the huge differences in both resolution and screen sizes, but I wont do that, since someone already did:

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ale#p24061

2540 x 1440 is more than 4.5 times the pixels from 1024*768 - I don't want to play 4 games at the same time, I just want to be able to play this very amazing game without binoculars.

I realize I may not have perfect vision, but I do hope that a GUI scale setting can be implemented into the game so that it can be enjoyed even at high resolutions.

rebecca
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rebecca »

yeah my 25" 2560x1440 monitor the text is great but the item boxes are just a tad small not unusable just small

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

Watching a high resolution recording like Factorio: conquer the world ep2 by Gepwin is hard for a nearsighted viewer on any playback resolution.
I just play on 1080p (1280x1024) giving fairly big visible numbers.
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Size of the GUI

Post by Nic »

I want to start recording Let's Play videos of Factorio and I would love to play it in 4K resolution (3840x2160).
The only problem is, that the GUI becomes so small, that you can barely see anything when you watch it on YouTube on a lower resolution (it is fine for me playing the game though).
Therefore I want to ask if it is possible to add a function to rescale the GUI.
Last edited by Nic on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Option to scale up/down the GUI - Size of the GUI

Post by ssilk »

Joined above into this (quite old but easy to find) thread

When I look at the lua-configuartion-files I get the feeling, that this is already possible, could be just a mod?!
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I play this at 2560x1600 and i can barely read text :(
For me even 2x upscale of everything would be ok.

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

For me the problem is not about reading the text (even though it does become much harder with the higher resolution) - my problem is that you can't record gameplay material and upload it to YouTube when you play in very high resolutions, because no one who watches it in a lower resolution or watches it in fullscreen will be able to see any icon or text properly.
That is the only reason for me while my video series is on hold.
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Sounds like a luxury problem. :)
Play in lower resolution?

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

Of course it is a first world problem ssilk - but let's be honest - if you can play a game (which is new) in 1080p but the GUI is too small when you play it in this resolution - you can't tell me that you would play it in 800x600 just to be able to see the icons and be happy with it ;)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Depends on the game. :mrgreen:

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Factorio actually runs on your EEE901? I have an EEE1000H, which is essentially the same system, but 10 inch instead of 9 inch, and I couldn't get it to work on here.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

How about the ability to move a whole gui window by grabbing the border on the sides as well as the top? This way, gui windows that spawn with the top off the screen can be moved to view all the parts of the gui window.

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

starxplor wrote:How about the ability to move a whole gui window by grabbing the border on the sides as well as the top? This way, gui windows that spawn with the top off the screen can be moved to view all the parts of the gui window.
Are you talking about something like this: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=6996 ?

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

Nic wrote:
starxplor wrote:How about the ability to move a whole gui window by grabbing the border on the sides as well as the top? This way, gui windows that spawn with the top off the screen can be moved to view all the parts of the gui window.
Are you talking about something like this: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=6996 ?
The first pic there has no gui elements, second one only has the edge of one, and it is not a tall one.

I am specifically refering to the extra large chests that have so many inventory slots then they can take up the entire screen vertically, and still not show them all. As it is, you can grab a window and move it if you can click on the top border area. If a gui is too large, this top border is off the screen and cant be clicked on to move.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

We need scaling for the GUI if the game should ever be "finished and fully functional". That's not debatable. The only question could be: When and how.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

starxplor wrote:
Nic wrote:
The first pic there has no gui elements, second one only has the edge of one, and it is not a tall one.
If you click the pictures they expand to their full size.
Also I have focused on exactly the opposite if your problem but you could expand the idea to to your problem, too. - for me the elements get too small when I play the game since I want to play it in resolutions over 1920x1080 - so I would need a feature to scale them up.
You on the other hand can't scale it down which is samey.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

I have the opposite problem.

On my 1366x768 laptop screen, at the default window size (not maximized), important things often get hidden. If I'm wearing modular armour and mouse-over a miner, the "expected resource" count is hidden behind the armour battery meter. If I mouse-over a logistic chest I can only see the first 4 rows of "logistic system storage" if the chest has stuff in it. If the chest has stuff in it and also has items scheduled to be picked up or dropped off, I can only see the first 2 rows.

lolman360
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lolman360 »

I just scale it in the config.ini file, works fine 4 me.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”