Turret bounding box

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Turret bounding box

Post by Nirahiel »

Hi.
I'm not sure if I should make a suggestion for such a small thing, but PLEASE make the turret bounding box 1 by 1. It's annoying that I can horizontally fit turret + inserter + belt on a 3 large space but need a 4 high one for the vertical way of doing it.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Turret bounding box

Post by ssilk »

When I think over it: yes. But maybe 1x1 is too small. I would prefer, if rotating would work with it, so that the box is -depending on rotation either 1x2 or 2x1...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nirahiel »

The thing is, you can't even walk behind it, that's why I ask for a 1x1, it's a turret, not a tank !
Look at the electric poles, you can walk behind them. The bounding box is not the whole pole, just the base.
Same for turrets. That's what I want.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes, I read it, but then was disturbed and answered some hours later and forgot. Sorry. :oops:

As excuse a summary of suggestions for the turrets (in order of need):

- guns/missiles not auto-filling to maximum (5-10 is enough/should be configurable per entity in the game)
- bounding boxes like poles/furnace
- rotating size if not symmetrical, so gun turrets can be placed much more condensed
- arrows for orientation when placing
- filling state visible
- trying to fix the "shooting in curves" :) - but I like it meanwhile ;)
- I mean also, that the orientation of a turret should play a more important rule, so I think the heads should rotate a little bit slower. :)

And something to think about:
a good defense need also
- non-weapons, e.g. walls, lights, radar, repair... Things which improve the weapons.
- supply for weapons is the very best use-case of "constant mixture of items" we have, because currently you can have one side of a belt with bullets, the other with missiles; but when thinking for example to flamethrower turrets or artillery turrets or ..., you may need 2 belts, but this is expensive. It's much cheaper to built only one belt in a circle and fill it at one point with the right balance of items.
- mix of weapons, only lasers should be soon lonely lasers. :)
- some help to built this up, some robots, which "make the rest", something like blue print... Dunno.
- offense! Robots which actively can run outside to support weak points

Goddohando
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Goddohando »

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Nirahiel wrote:Hi.
I'm not sure if I should make a suggestion for such a small thing, but PLEASE make the turret bounding box 1 by 1. It's annoying that I can horizontally fit turret + inserter + belt on a 3 large space but need a 4 high one for the vertical way of doing it.
The motivation for the 2 space bounding box is the graphics. In our projection if the bounding box would be 1x1 at the base that in the vertical position the inserter behind the turret is practically not visible.
ssilk wrote:- guns/missiles not auto-filling to maximum (5-10 is enough/should be configurable per entity in the game)
This is tricky. In some cases it would be better (filling up a line of turrets fast) and in some cases worse (turrets attached directly to the assembling machine). Configuration per entity is possibility, but it adds another gui element:(
ssilk wrote: rotating size if not symmetrical, so gun turrets can be placed much more condensed
Rotating the turret is possible, but it doesn't change the bounding box (the base stays). That makes sense imho.
ssilk wrote:I mean also, that the orientation of a turret should play a more important rule, so I think the heads should rotate a little bit slower.
This was the original behavior. Now they return to the closest rotation point. We concluded that the strategy / annoyance ratio is low.
ssilk wrote:And something to think about:
a good defense need also
- non-weapons, e.g. walls, lights, radar, repair... Things which improve the weapons.
- supply for weapons is the very best use-case of "constant mixture of items" we have, because currently you can have one side of a belt with bullets, the other with missiles; but when thinking for example to flamethrower turrets or artillery turrets or ..., you may need 2 belts, but this is expensive. It's much cheaper to built only one belt in a circle and fill it at one point with the right balance of items.
- mix of weapons, only lasers should be soon lonely lasers.
- some help to built this up, some robots, which "make the rest", something like blue print... Dunno.
- offense! Robots which actively can run outside to support weak points
As mentioned before, other kinds of turrets will come (they can be already added by mods). And repair robots / blueprints are in the phase of thinking over / design.

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nirahiel »

slpwnd wrote:The motivation for the 2 space bounding box is the graphics. In our projection if the bounding box would be 1x1 at the base that in the vertical position the inserter behind the turret is practically not visible.
Honestly, I don't care about the graphics. Also the turret collision box should be 1x1 so that you can only fit 1 inserter on a turret's side (ATM you can fit 2 if i'm not mistaken).
Please make it like the laser turrets. I usually like to have a full line of turrets, no empty space, and I can't do it with the actual config (well technically I can but i have to place 1 inserter every 2 slots)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

slpwnd wrote:
ssilk wrote:- guns/missiles not auto-filling to maximum (5-10 is enough/should be configurable per entity in the game)
This is tricky. In some cases it would be better (filling up a line of turrets fast) and in some cases worse (turrets attached directly to the assembling machine). Configuration per entity is possibility, but it adds another gui element:(
Hm. How about this: within its fire radius the turret looks, how many ammo the other turrets have loaded. The average of all turrest + 1 is, what is loaded into it.
ssilk wrote: rotating size if not symmetrical, so gun turrets can be placed much more condensed
Rotating the turret is possible, but it doesn't change the bounding box (the base stays). That makes sense imho.
Sorry but I didn't get the sense. For me it was irritating, that vertically I cannot place that many guns. The base was weaker horizontal.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”