New Game Support Languages on Steam

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Juanjo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

New Game Support Languages on Steam

Post by Juanjo »

Sorry if it has been asked before.

Steam now offers 74 more options (in addition to the existing 28) for you to select from when indicating which languages your game supports.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/gro ... 4990632478

It is only for indicating game support. In the same web page it explains what should be done to add them.

I would like to see some of these languages added to the Steam Store, as it will also help for the visibility of Factorio, as I think Steam also plans to add a language filter soon.

Is it possible to add the missing languages that have a near complete translation?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New Game Support Languages on Steam

Post by ssilk »

The language files are maintained very much by the community. So I guess if someone wants to create a new language he/she just could ask wube for it: https://crowdin.com/project/factorio

And I guess also, that there will be no much interest from wube to add additional languages without need.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

@ssilk as I understand the OP, they suggest that wube adds the languages that are already maintained on crowdin (for example Greek) to the steam page. Which makes total sence.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Juanjo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Juanjo »

ssilk wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:52 am
The language files are maintained very much by the community. So I guess if someone wants to create a new language he/she just could ask wube for it: https://crowdin.com/project/factorio

And I guess also, that there will be no much interest from wube to add additional languages without need.
As ickputzdirwech also commented, I am not asking for new translations, but adding to the Steam page of Factorio that it is translated into more languages than the ones currently listed.
ickputzdirwech wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:15 am
@ssilk as I understand the OP, they suggest that wube adds the languages that are already maintained on crowdin (for example Greek) to the steam page. Which makes total sence.
Yes, the game should be listed as translated into Greek, Catalan, Hebrew, Thai, Kazakh, among other languages.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yeah, I simply quote myself :
ssilk wrote:
So what I want to say with that is, if someone wants to maintain a new language then try to write at wube and ask them to create that new language on crowdin, because I think wube by themself won’t do that. For them it’s just new work without much usecases. Or they just miscalculated how many more people will buy Factorio if it supports these new languages. 8-)

Juanjo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Juanjo »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:37 am
Yeah, I simply quote myself :
ssilk wrote:
So what I want to say with that is, if someone wants to maintain a new language then try to write at wube and ask them to create that new language on crowdin, because I think wube by themself won’t do that. For them it’s just new work without much usecases. Or they just miscalculated how many more people will buy Factorio if it supports these new languages. 8-)
Thanks for your answers, but it looks to me you didn't understand what this topic is about yet.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Juanjo wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:05 pm
ssilk wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:37 am
Thanks for your answers, but it looks to me you didn't understand what this topic is about yet.

I'm not sure i understand either, do you mean the langages shown on steam do not reflect all the work from the community ? for example Greek is not shown on steam while there exist already translations on crowdin for greek langage ? This due to steam policy changes allowing to show more "supported" langages ?

I remember an FFF about contracting a team of professionnal translator maybe for the 1.0 release ? maybe what ssilk is saying is that only those langages are shown on steam because otherwise Wube could be misunderstood as proposing the game in langages for which they have no control over the quality of the translation ?

(i'm not doubting the quality of the translation in crowdin, i wanted to point out that in case there is 5% missing translation, one can tell the professionnal contracted team to finish the job, asking the community to finish the translation is not the same, one is more thankful for the 95% i think :) )

Juanjo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Juanjo »

mmmPI wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:25 pm
I'm not sure i understand either, do you mean the langages shown on steam do not reflect all the work from the community ? for example Greek is not shown on steam while there exist already translations on crowdin for greek langage ? This due to steam policy changes allowing to show more "supported" langages ?

I remember an FFF about contracting a team of professionnal translator maybe for the 1.0 release ? maybe what ssilk is saying is that only those langages are shown on steam because otherwise Wube could be misunderstood as proposing the game in langages for which they have no control over the quality of the translation ?
Yes. Two months ago, you couldn't list your game translated into Greek, as the interface of Steam had no Greek translation. Now, you can tell your product/game is available also in Greek and so other languages.

I doubt it is related to Altagram's professional services and their strict control of the translations, as it is very difficult Altagram is revising permanently the daily crowdin changes that are included in each new version of the game in all the languages already listed in Steam.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok, that there are already translations, which are not listed on steam was indeed a misunderstanding (I play the game in English, because I would go crazy, if I need to look up how Each item is named in English. :) ) In any case it means work and costs for wube. Not saying that they shouldn’t do it, but explains eventually why it takes time.

Juanjo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Juanjo »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:00 pm
Ok, that there are already translations, which are not listed on steam was indeed a misunderstanding (I play the game in English, because I would go crazy, if I need to look up how Each item is named in English. :) ) In any case it means work and costs for wube. Not saying that they shouldn’t do it, but explains eventually why it takes time.
Software localization is an important part of software development. Of course, it takes a lot of effort and you could do no localization at all, but you will get a smaller market and less visibility. I think you are underestimating its importance.

After all the effort the developers have made (not only in localization, but also in terms of accessibility or doing a rewrite of the GUI code and so much more), I really doubt that they think looking through a list of languages is a cumbersome task and not do it. On the contrary, I hope they continue with the same strategy.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

First of all I'm happy that the misunderstanding seems to be resolved.
mmmPI wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:25 pm

(i'm not doubting the quality of the translation in crowdin, i wanted to point out that in case there is 5% missing translation, one can tell the professionnal contracted team to finish the job, asking the community to finish the translation is not the same, one is more thankful for the 95% i think :) )
The plan for professional translations was ditched only a short time after it's announcement. All translations are in their entirety maintained by the community on crowdin. The only things the devs do is add new language files if people ask for it.

As the OP rightfully pointed out they seem to have forgotten to update the supported languages on the steam page for quite some time (becoming more apparent since the recent increase in supported languages by steam). I see the OP has already taken this to the crowdin discussion. Probably the right place to get the devs attention.

As for completeness and quality of the translations: On steam Factorio is listed to support Romanian (61% complete, 0% approved), Norwegian (64%, 4 %) and Portuguese (74%, 0%). So I don't see why the devs shouldn't add Vietnamese (91%, 0%), Greek (94%, 52%) etc. to the steam store page.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I added the languages that were translated enough (at least 90%)

Juanjo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Juanjo »

Klonan wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:37 am
I added the languages that were translated enough (at least 90%)
Thank you very much!

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”