Make Lasers be _Lasers_. Not projectiles (!!!???)

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Lime
Inserter
Inserter

Make Lasers be _Lasers_. Not projectiles (!!!???)

Post by Lime »

TL;DR
Make Lasers to be Lasers, not projectiles. How come lasers shoot some kind of glowing homing (!?!?!?!?) missiles??? Who's sick idea was it in the first place anyway!?
What ?
Change lasers to fire instant-hitting beams, akin to gun turrets. Maybe, just maybe, also add missile turrets that would keep the current behaviour of firing homing rockets on targets.
Why ?
I mean, really, not only it's a projectile (even in code it's a projectile!!!), it's even HOMING!?? How sick should one's mind be to do that to a LASER!?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Make Lasers be _Lasers_. Not projectiles (!!!???)

Post by Koub »

Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Like this?

:D
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Lime
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lime »

Uhm... well... yeah. Like that. Sorry, I feel dumb now. :oops: Now if only mod makers would pick that up... :roll:

Thanks, though. :)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Lime wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:56 am
Now if only mod makers would pick that up... :roll:
Yeah sure, that could be possible that ...
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Laser_Beam_Turrets
#ohwait
:mrgreen:

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Yes, why isn't that in vanilla yet?

Lime
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lime »

Koub wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:02 pm
Yeah sure, that could be possible that ...
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Laser_Beam_Turrets
#ohwait
:mrgreen:
Just found this one 5 minutes ago myself, thanks. :) Yet as far as I see, other modders that add their own turrets (like Bob, 5dim, Yuoki, etc.) still base off "base" laser turret using "projectile" kind of lasers, as well as all those personal laser defence systems, that's what I meant.

Anyway, I still don't understand how come it have been implemented like that in the first place. Current state seems pretty ridiculous to, basically, anyone :?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Lime wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:07 pm
Anyway, I still don't understand how come it have been implemented like that in the first place. Current state seems pretty ridiculous to, basically, anyone :?
Ever watched Star wars ? or any of the 99.99% movies where lasers are projectiles that make pew pew :mrgreen: ?
mrvn wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:02 pm
Yes, why isn't that in vanilla yet?
It's not yet, but it will be on next update.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Koub wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:35 pm
Lime wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:07 pm
Ever watched Star wars ? or any of the 99.99% movies where lasers are projectiles that make pew pew :mrgreen: ?
I've seen Star Wars and lots of other movies where lasers make pew pew. None of them have lasers as homing projectiles.

Laser beams having a start and and end point and seeing them move towards the target just means the speed of light is rather low.

In space you shouldn't even see lasers at all till they hit because there is no air to ionize into glowing. That you can see lasers move in air could be explained this way: The laser hits air and looses focus over a short range, making the air in that region glow. The air also gets shoved away in that region creating a vacuum. The laser can then reach further. So what you see is the front of the laser burrowing through the air till it hits the target.

So the apparent speed of the laser is limited by the speed of air getting shoved out of the way and not by the speed of light.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”