Oil (overflow) burner

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Oil (overflow) burner

Post by darkfrei »

mrvn wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:43 pm
I'm asking for a pretty "useless" new building: An oil burner.

Input: crude oil, heavy oil, light oil or butane gas (optionally wood or coal, anything flammable would do)
Output: nothing
The output can be also electricity, so it will be oil burner generator. It looks like that it will be just easy done in 0.17.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I am confused. Should this topic be in the "will not implement" thread?

Just because a mod does it, it does not mean that it has been implemented, since many players are doing vanilla either because they prefer the pure game or because they are working on achievements.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

I suspect it was originally moved here because, at the time, it was implemented via the boilers being able to heat up any liquid which could then be used to create electricity. That unfortunately doesn't work anymore from what I understand.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Darinth wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:54 pm
I suspect it was originally moved here because, at the time, it was implemented via the boilers being able to heat up any liquid which could then be used to create electricity. That unfortunately doesn't work anymore from what I understand.
When boilers still produced hot water you could simply pipe any fluid (heated or not) into a steam engine where it would be destroyed. Now that steam engines only accept steam this no longer works.

In base you can crack down everything to petroleum, so shouldn't have any excess. And adding a flare stack might encourage people to not crack things down. And for modding purposes 0.17 has built-in void pipes.

Edit: Grammar. _| ̄|○
Last edited by eradicator on Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

Ohh. I apparently misunderstood. I thought you still had to heat it up to make electricity, I didn't realize you could just pump in any fluid and it voided it. lol.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:59 am
I am confused. Should this topic be in the "will not implement" thread?
Sorry, my bad, I didn't notice I merged into a topic that was not in "Ideas and Suggestions" :). Moved it to the appropriate subforum.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I have to laugh at the original idea though. Burn excess oil in an oil burner... that's what fuel blocks were for!

even in 0.15, the steam engine's generator is also easily modified to accept any fluid. you can also add a fuel value to fluids and burns_fluid =true tag to it to generate power that way.
0.17 has lots of modable solutions available. The void pipe was already mentioned, but you can also change the energy_source to fluid, which can accept heated fluids like steam, just like the steam engine by default, but can be configured to burn fluids just the same way, essentially being able to make a steam or oil powered... anything. Yes, steam powered boiler is something you could program in.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

bobingabout wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:59 am
0.17 has lots of modable solutions available. The void pipe was already mentioned, but you can also change the energy_source to fluid, which can accept heated fluids like steam, just like the steam engine by default, but can be configured to burn fluids just the same way, essentially being able to make a steam or oil powered... anything.
Would be kinda neat if one could also power something by coolness. I.e. a machine that accepts "power" in terms of negative difference to the default temperature. But i guess that's not gonna happen any time soon. ^^
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

AnthonyForPOTUS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AnthonyForPOTUS »

Arcania85 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:17 am
The way i handle the oil system is using the break down factory's which get toggled by a combinator if there is a shortage.

For example the breakdown factory from benzine to gas get's toggled when gas is below 500 in the nearby tank.
If benzine is lower then 500 the breakdown factory's get toggled that use the thick oil to make benzine.

everything is always at decent levels, unless there is a shortage of crude oil itself.

Pretty much a waste to burn it.
The way I handle petro balancing is to crack the excess of one thing to the next thing. So if the heavy oi tank is nearly full (>24000) it pumps heavy oil into the heavy to light oil cracking array. The same with light to gas. The problem becomes, particularly in the early game, that I end up with an excess of gas. While I generally try to store as much of it as possible, at some point it usually ends up bottlenecking the entire system. Sulfur lines are backed up, plastic is backed up, solid fuel is backed up, petroleum gas storage is full, and i'm out of heavy oil/lubricant or light oil for my flamethrower turrets. So in this rare instance, I start sending the gas to the flare stacks.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

AnthonyForPOTUS wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:07 pm
The way I handle petro balancing is to crack the excess of one thing to the next thing. So if the heavy oi tank is nearly full (>24000) it pumps heavy oil into the heavy to light oil cracking array. The same with light to gas. The problem becomes, particularly in the early game, that I end up with an excess of gas. While I generally try to store as much of it as possible, at some point it usually ends up bottlenecking the entire system. Sulfur lines are backed up, plastic is backed up, solid fuel is backed up, petroleum gas storage is full, and i'm out of heavy oil/lubricant or light oil for my flamethrower turrets. So in this rare instance, I start sending the gas to the flare stacks.
If you have any crude oil at all it means you can make blue science, and so research Advanced Oil Processing. If heavy oil stuffs in early game i make sure i have lubricant production ready. If it's light oil, fill a few steel chests with solid fuel. During all that you should already be done with the infrastructure for oil cracking heavy -> light -> petroleum.

Maybe oil cracking wasn't a thing yet when the topic was started 2 years ago? You can even use the solid fuel for your steam engines, and make solid fuel from all 3 types.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”