Make LuaGuiElement::name writable

raiguard
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Make LuaGuiElement::name writable

Post by raiguard »

Currently, you can only read a LuaGuiElement's name. I would love to be able to modify the name as well.

The reason is that while I don't use names to match against to fire specific GUI handlers, I do use them to encode information about which button was clicked for generic handlers. For example, I could have nine similar buttons that are all displaying different LTN depots, and I want to know which one was clicked.

Storing that information in the name is a lot easier than making a thing to store it in `global` and managing it myself. But, unless I destroy and re-create the element, there's no way for me to update which depot the button is referencing, leaving storing it in global as the only option.

Thanks!
Don't forget, you're here forever.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Make LuaGuiElement::name writable

Post by eradicator »

-1/+2

+2 I would also like a way to store extra data in LuaGuiElements that doesn't somehow influence how the element itself looks. Something like LuaEntity.tags. (My personal hack is to store data in invisible childrens labels.)

-1 Because you say yourself that you don't actually care about element names. You just want a more powerful hack to solve the actual problem - but you request a hack.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

raiguard
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Make LuaGuiElement::name writable

Post by raiguard »

I would be ecstatic if we could store "tags" on a GUI element. That would solve all sorts of problems that I've been using the name for.
Don't forget, you're here forever.

Return to “Implemented mod requests”