Localised string "if key is unknown use something else" (or equivalent)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Localised string "if key is unknown use something else" (or equivalent)

Post by eradicator »

What?

I want to specify a localised string so that if one component of it produces an "Unknown key:" it uses something else instead.

Speculative example:

Code: Select all

tooltip = {'my.tooltip-preset',{item-description.wooden-chest,my.no-description-placeholder,mode='use-first'}}
Why?

(Disclaimer: I don't really care *how* this is technically solved. So above is only a wild idea. I'm totally fine with anything better. Like making it possible for mods to know if a localised string is valid or not :p)

The problem is that certain localised strings can not be used in good looking mod guis because they produce garbage 90% of the time (i.e. "Unknown key:"). A prime cause of this are item descriptions, because there's only very few that have them. And from the mod side it's impossible to know if any given loc_string is valid or not.

/c
game.player.gui.center.clear() 
game.player.gui.center.add{
 type="label",
 caption=game.item_prototypes['wooden-chest'].localised_description
 }
This is not limited to base keys though, for example i have a use-case for localised surface names, but i want to fall back to the internal name if me (or the surface-creating mod's author) haven't localised a name yet.

This is mostly annoying on tooltips, but it'd be awesome if a generic solution for all localised texts existed.

A good example is also the mod on the portal (which i can't find right now...) that extends the tooltip of mod settings to include the default value. But because most settings don't have a description it looks like this most of the time:
From Arumbas Stream @17:33
unknownkey.png
unknownkey.png (51.91 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Localised string "if key is unknown use something else" (or equivalent)

Post by eradicator »

Maybe a locale.cfg specification would be simple enough to be realistic?

[my]
tooltip-preset=Lorem ipsum __1_or_2_or_3__ dolor sit amet.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Wiwiweb
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Locale operator to silence missing keys

Post by Wiwiweb »

What?
I would like to request a locale operator to silence the "Unknown key" error in the case of a missing locale key. It could look like this:

{"?", {"entity-description.underground-belt"}}
Why?
Currently, if you print a LocalisedString that does not actually exist, it displays a string that says: "Unknown key: ..." and there is no way to know in advance that this LocalisedString doesn't exist.
unknown_key.png
unknown_key.png (53.15 KiB) Viewed 3618 times

This is a problem for us when we try to *add* to existing descriptions. We append a "Cannot be placed on:" string with any existing description. If there is actually no description, it shows up like this:
k2_missing_description.png
k2_missing_description.png (38.13 KiB) Viewed 3618 times
We do it like so:

placement_restriction_line=[font=default-bold][color=#f5cb48]Cannot be placed on: __1__[/color][/font]\n__2__

prototype.localised_description = {"space-exploration.placement_restriction_line", disallowed_locale, prototype.localised_description or {"entity-description."..prototype.name}}
Players often think that is a bug even though no information is lost here. The new "?" operator would allow us to hide that unknown key error.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Locale operator to silence missing keys

Post by Honktown »

For consideration: in terms of behavior, it would make sense to return "" (empty string) as a result, similar to how {"", results in concatenation, with each term resulting in a string before concatenation. The alternative which would not follow normal expectations, is, if the first element of the following string can be translated, replace on *that*, vs replace the entire translation of that table with "".

The difference probably isn't clear until a parameter is used (indentation to make it clearer):

{
  "",
  {"category.string_known_to_exist"},
  {
    "?",
    {
      "assumed_category.assumed_key_with_parameters",
      {"cat.param1"}
    }
  }
}

Good:
{
  "",
  "Known string. ",
  ""
}

Bad:
{
  "",
 "Known string. ",
  {
    "",
    {"cat.param1"}
  }
}
Without parameters, {""} could replace unknown translations earlier in the translation pass. It results in the weird behavior/errors with parameters though, if they're not discarded.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

A more compact form which was suggested: putting the "?" at the start of a localised string: {"?entity-name.abc"}. A little less overhead, and the only risk is if someone made a locale category with a leading ? (if that's even possible) which is a "breaking change" but... very small.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Aye, this would be nice to have!!
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

lyvgbfh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lyvgbfh »

This would solve my biggest headache with modding. The case presented can't reasonably be solved as things are currently, and I think the suggestion for new behavior is a good solution as long as the logic is clear and documented.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

+1

In Space Spidertron and Fluidic Power I dynamically generate entity prototypes based on existing ones, and there's no way to cleanly modify and retain the original description.
Last edited by Stringweasel on Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

One, possibly small way to do it: make a locale key for unknown key, instead of hard-coding it. Then instead of e.g. unknown-key=Unknown key: "__1__", it could be replaced with unknown-key= in a mod that wanted to silence it. It would have to be "turned on" or "turned off" at the mod level (dependency issues coming up when one mod blanks it, and another mod wants it back). That could be resolved as one mod can *always* come last dependency-wise, and all it has to do is define the locale key.

I'd even offer to make a basic mod to help that, as one could format a log print of 'dependencies' for all current mods during data, and *that* text could be copy and pasted in the extracted mods info.json to bring back the original locales for unknown-key (for that developer, anyway. then they disable the mod once they're satisfied).
I have mods! I guess!
Link

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

+1

In Multiple Unit Train Control, I copy-and-modify locomotive entities procedurally, but have a hard-coded list of entities that have descriptions. This means information is lost if a mod has a description that I have not manually inspected yet.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

See also 71553 - this suggestion would be more flexible.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

BurninSun on discord also proposed the following syntax similar to __plural_for_parameter_1_{...}__ that we already have. Something like __error_for_parameter_1_{true=Not found|false=__1__}__

Personally it seems a bit clunky but it is flexible.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Bilka wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:07 pm
See also 71553 - this suggestion would be more flexible.
I'd be in support of that, too.

Maybe up to a dev or mod, but maybe the threads should be combined?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Genhis
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Genhis »

Merged similar topics.

This is implemented for the next release as a "fallback group" format. The format picks the first correct parameter in a localised string. The key is always "?" and is ignored in the translation. If no parameters are correct, the last one is returned.

{"?", {"", {"entity-description.furnace"}, "\n"}, {"item-description.furnace"}, "Optional fallback value"}
1. If `entity-description.furnace` exists, it is concatenated with "\n" and returned.
2. Otherwise, if `item-description.furnace` exists, it is returned as-is.
3. Otherwise, "Optional fallback value" is returned. If this value wasn't specified, the translation result would be "Unknown key: 'item-description.furnace'".

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Genhis wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:35 pm
Merged similar topics.

This is implemented for the next release as a "fallback group" format. The format picks the first correct parameter in a localised string. The key is always "?" and is ignored in the translation. If no parameters are correct, the last one is returned.

{"?", {"", {"entity-description.furnace"}, "\n"}, {"item-description.furnace"}, "Optional fallback value"}
1. If `entity-description.furnace` exists, it is concatenated with "\n" and returned.
2. Otherwise, if `item-description.furnace` exists, it is returned as-is.
3. Otherwise, "Optional fallback value" is returned. If this value wasn't specified, the translation result would be "Unknown key: 'item-description.furnace'".
Hey, that sounds great to me! Thank you!!

Return to “Implemented mod requests”