Draggable GUIs

DeltaNedas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Draggable GUIs

Post by DeltaNedas »

TL;DR
Let us make our modded GUIs draggable like vanilla GUIs.
What ?
A simple boolean in the Lua API that would let us toggle if a GUI should be draggable or not. To see this in effect in vanilla, boot up the game and drag around the main menu or your inventory.
Why ?
I think it would help make modded GUIs feel more at home with the vanilla ones, as well as help players keep their screens free of clutter and more organised.
It shouldn't be too hard to implement and it would be a very nice feature to have.

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Draggable GUIs

Post by theRustyKnife »

This please.

Regarding the implementation, I would suggest making the gui that's set to player.opened draggable, since that's probably what most mods would do.

eduran
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by eduran »

You have my vote.

I find a boolean flag preferable over using player.opened, because it allows you to have multiple draggable windows at the same time and also have it separate from the close-on-ESC behavior. But that's details and any implementation would be great.

DeltaNedas wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:31 pm
It shouldn't be too hard to implement and it would be a very nice feature to have.
Feature requests always look easy from the outside, but rarely when you are the one who has to implement them.

Therenas
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Therenas »

I would like this too. I think it would be quite a big change though, as you currently can't have overlapping mod windows. They always appear side-to-side. If you make windows draggable, they will need to be able to overlap. Not sure how big of a challenge that is implementation-wise, as game windows can do this, but again those are implemented differently.

Godmave
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Godmave »

On that note I would also love to be able to "dock" my own custom stuff to other, even vanilla, "windows".

cyfrov
Inserter
Inserter

Post by cyfrov »

+1

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

you'd be surprised how often I get "Can't you just..." requests about my GUIs.
"No, I can't, the game won't let me." is a standard answer, which usually gets a "Why not?" Then I have to explain that I can only choose "Left" which doesn't always even place on the left, or center.

so yeah, having more control over where a window is placed, and making it movable would be good.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Like the Transport Tycoon GUI with movable and also pinable windows.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

321freddy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by 321freddy »

Godmave wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:12 pm
On that note I would also love to be able to "dock" my own custom stuff to other, even vanilla, "windows".
Yes please.

I want to attach a custom panel to like the inventory window or blueprint library window by specifying an anchor like top/left/right/bottom. It would move with the base game GUI and would silently be destroyed when the GUI is closed (like with player.opened).

Return to “Implemented mod requests”