Target temperature for heat energy source

CyberWizard2261
Inserter
Inserter

Target temperature for heat energy source

Post by CyberWizard2261 »

I'd like to see more entities using heat energy source (not only boilers), but most heat processes require a temperature much above 15C to work in real life
I'm planning to produce hydrogen via pyrolysis at 800C, and I'm quite sure other modders will think in creative ways to use heat too

I'd really like to see this feature in the near future. Cheers

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Target temperature for heat energy source

Post by mrvn »

So like the cooling liquid and cooling towers in Angels mods. Except you use the energy taken from the hot cooling liquid to do something. Might be cool to combine the two so they use the same heat medium. Store the heat from smelters for use in hydrogen production.

CyberWizard2261
Inserter
Inserter

The way it is now furnaces and assembling machines can work using heat energy source just like heat exchangers

I made a heat-furnace but it starts working as soon as the temperature rises above 15C and this far from realistic

With a target temperature in the energy source, we can make realistic processes using an energy source now used only by heat exchangers

I think it's a waste make an energy source and use it in a single entity type

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Well looking at it, seems you are probably right we should make it moddable:

Code: Select all

bool hasEnergyPotentially() const override
  {
    return this->heat.temperature > 15; // Oh my 15 is the default temperature, we should put it somewhere
  }

CyberWizard2261
Inserter
Inserter

Thanks, Klonan
I just can't wait to make heat-factories

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

I added "min_working_temperature" and "default_temperature" to the heat energy source prototype for 0.17.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Bilka wrote:I added "min_working_temperature" and "default_temperature" to the heat energy source prototype for 0.17.
How difficult/expensive would max_working_temperature be? I know it's difficult to control that in vanilla, but it might still make for some intereresting modding opportunities. (I.e. requiring some sort of "overheat valve" when an oven gets too hot. Though... some sort of circuit connection to read the heat would be needed for that and is currently only possible with on_tick.)
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Implemented mod requests”