Assembling-machine with built-in productivity

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Assembling-machine with built-in productivity

Post by eradicator »

What?
Make .productivity part of the assembline-machine prototype.
Whaat?
Currently assembling machine prototypes can only specify three of the four "effect" types energy_consumption, crafting_speed and pollution while productivity can only be changed by modules. I'd like to be able to specify a base value different than 1.0 for custom assembling-machine prototypes.
Why
I would like to make low/high grade machines that consume more/less resources than usual. But as i can not control the modules in a machine and i do not want to generate several hundred new recipes to "fake" the effect having built-in productivity in assembling machines seems like the best way. As a bonus it would be nice if i could retain the ability to forbid additional productivity-effect from modules while still retaining the prototype-based productivity change.

If this is not feasible a "hidden" module slot that is not exposed to the player's GUI or alt-view would work too i guess. I'd still have to spawn in a custom module but that still sounds better to me than generating large amounts of new recipes for old things (which would also clutter the crafting gui).

I wouldn't mind if this functionality was only available on a custom subtype of assembling machines (i.e. an "automatic-assembling-interface" akin to the EEI) that allows more modding capabilities at the cost of increased processing time, as i expect (hope :P) that the player will only need a few of these machines.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Assembling-machine with built-in productivity

Post by ratchetfreak »

maybe also allow as a research bonus. Like mining pod in vanilla

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Sounds like a good idea to me.
ratchetfreak wrote:maybe also allow as a research bonus. Like mining pod in vanilla
you mean research for productivity on assembling machines.

It would likely need to be treat similar to the gun damage bonus research where you specify what entities it effects, because a lot of machines (Chemical plant, Oil refinery, Centrifuge) are basically just assembling machines that work with different recipe lists.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

FFF248 says we should ask for more things, so here i am again ;).

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Would be nice being able to have deep mines gain productivity from mining efficiency research even though they actually are assemblers producing out of thin air. :D

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Optera wrote:Would be nice being able to have deep mines gain productivity from mining efficiency research even though they actually are assemblers producing out of thin air. :D
That would have to be locked behind some kind of flag. Normal assembling machines should not gain productivity from mining research.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Did you even read what i wrote before that comment?

Deep Mine is a mod that adds assemblers producing ore without input. For those your proposed flag would be ideal to tie them to mining productivity.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Optera wrote:Did you even read what i wrote before that comment?
Disregarding your less than friendly tone...
It is infact you who didn't read the opening post, and neither did you write anything "before" that.

I proposed a fixed built-in productivity bonus (like a built-in productivity module). If the bonus was affected by mining research it would be pointless for my concept. Your quarry problem on the other hand could already be solved using an actual drill, and spawning in actual (invisble) ore below it.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Conceptually I have no problem with this as mod support my only concern is making it work in a way that it doesn't effect runtime performance of the game.

I'll see if I can make it work and let you know.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Would be nice to have something like the category system, so you can have a modifier category on the entity/entities and then use the category as a tech multiplier for productivity/speed/efficiency

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Rseding91 wrote:Conceptually I have no problem with this as mod support my only concern is making it work in a way that it doesn't effect runtime performance of the game.
Thanks! :). Looking forward to a positive answer from you ;).

TheBrain0110
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheBrain0110 »

I'd like to second this request, and have the .productivity property available to mining drills as well. I was just thinking of making some advanced mining drills with a builtin productivity bonus, on top of the research-based bonus, but with no module slots. Basically like having a productivity module built-in.

minno
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by minno »

I also made a request for something like this: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=61539.

TheBrain0110
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheBrain0110 »

It seems like we've ended up with two different requests in the same thread. One for a fixed .productivity property for machines / drills / any arbitrary entity I guess, and one for a duplicate of the mining productivity research that can be applied to things other than mining drills.

They both seem to have interesting possibilities, is one more likely to be implemented than the other?

EnigmaticAussie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EnigmaticAussie »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:31 am
Conceptually I have no problem with this as mod support my only concern is making it work in a way that it doesn't effect runtime performance of the game.

I was going to make a similar request, as I would love to be able to make an "assembler productivity bonus" tech.

Was this looked into?

minno
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by minno »

Not as far as I'm aware. My mod (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/seablock-mining) works around this by making invisible beacons under the relevant entities with productivity modules in them.

EnigmaticAussie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EnigmaticAussie »

minno wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:58 pm
Not as far as I'm aware. My mod (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/seablock-mining) works around this by making invisible beacons under the relevant entities with productivity modules in them.
Thanks, I'll have to mimic something similar some time.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

EnigmaticAussie wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:22 am
minno wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:58 pm
Thanks, I'll have to mimic something similar some time.
Btw, before 0.17 and the event of energy_source{type="void"} this wasn't a reliable workaround due to beacons requiring energy. (It also only solves half of my original post as it doesn't allow limiting a machine to *only* the built-in bonus, nonethless it's a good step forward :D.)
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Boodals
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Boodals »

I implemented this as a pull request a while ago (I have source access), and it was just accepted. It should be in 0.17.57. Pretty lucky too, I thought the devs wouldn't accept it until 0.18.

Added base_productivity to assembling machines, mining drill, and lab prototypes.
Added LuaEntityPrototype::base_productivity read.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Boodals wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:36 pm
I implemented this as a pull request a while ago (I have source access), and it was just accepted. It should be in 0.17.57. Pretty lucky too, I thought the devs wouldn't accept it until 0.18.

Added base_productivity to assembling machines, mining drill, and lab prototypes.
Added LuaEntityPrototype::base_productivity read.
To me this reads as if the productivity value was only writable in data stage, or does this allow creating an assembler based entity gaining productivity from research like mining drills.

Return to “Implemented mod requests”