Put core and base and example mods on github

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Put core and base and example mods on github

Post by sparr »

It was recently brought to my attention (while discussing settings.lua) that some packagings of Factorio include an example mod and some do not. Getting a copy of this mod was an annoying step in figuring out how settings worked for me.

Along with requesting that that mod be made available somewhere publicly, preferably somewhere with revision tracking, I'd also like to ask that the core and base "mods" be put in a similar place. I would like to be able to fetch the base mod data programmatically (such as for a tool like https://factorio.rotol.me/), and to link to certain prototypes and other definitions when discussing factorio on forums/wikis/etc. I'd also like to be able to view diffs between different versions of the base mod, as a more thorough insight than the human readable changelog.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Put core and base and example mods on github

Post by Rseding91 »

Core and base are available as part of the headless server download https://www.factorio.com/download-headless/experimental. We don't have any example mods so I'm not sure what you're referring to with that.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Sorry, it's name is test, not example: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=32890&start=80#p260266 (and the next half dozen comments in that thread)

Regarding the headless download, I see data/licenses.txt for a whole bunch of subprojects, but no license for the whole distribution and your content. Is one available?

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Bump? I think I am not alone among mod authors who would find a changelog / commit history for the core / base / test files useful.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

they're already on github... if you have source access :P

Seriously, the main issue with doing this is they'll need updating constantly as the game updates, I don't think it's just as easy as you think. I'd just do what good old Rseding is saying and download the headless.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

bobingabout wrote:Seriously, the main issue with doing this is they'll need updating constantly as the game updates, I don't think it's just as easy as you think.
*I* can do it, and I'm not even a dev. I just don't have permission to do it. I could simply download each new version of factorio, unpack it, and commit the new contents. It wouldn't be nearly as graceful as taking something from their source control, but it would work.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

sparr wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Seriously, the main issue with doing this is they'll need updating constantly as the game updates, I don't think it's just as easy as you think.
*I* can do it, and I'm not even a dev. I just don't have permission to do it. I could simply download each new version of factorio, unpack it, and commit the new contents. It wouldn't be nearly as graceful as taking something from their source control, but it would work.
That would also be illegal :P.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

It would be just as easy, possibly easier, for them to do it, legally.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Why do you want the mods on github?
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

I want to be able to post links on the forum and discord to specific lines/sections of the base mod.

I want to be able to point people at the test mod for things like mod setting examples.

I want to be able to look at a diff between two versions of base or core while reading the game changelog and/or while planning updates to my own mods.

Return to “Implemented mod requests”