Support - Uranium Power

Power generation with atoms.

Moderator: Fatmice

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Support - Uranium Power

Post by Fatmice »

Hello, if you are referring to the exchangers that look like walls, they need to be placed after the pipes are placed. If they don't work, just mine and replace them. Also those exchangers only work with "vanilla" pipes.
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

Nanobytez
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nanobytez »

Is there a purpose to the heat exchangers? My setup goes like this. Pump water into reactor. Apply fuel assembly, get 100 degree water. Pump into steam Engines. Did I miss a process here? Cuz I do have these random fuel lightning bolts in my inventory that I can't remember where I got them. :s

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Hello, the heat exchangers allow close-loop builds where the liquid is reused within the primary loop. You don't necessarily need to use heat exchangers though if you don't want to extract every ounce of heat from the reactor. As for the fuel lightning bolts, they are deprecated and should not exist. This leads me to think that you are using and older version of Uranium Power. For demonstration of how to use the heat exchangers, please download the sample build.

Nanobytez
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nanobytez »

Is 0.5.3 not the latest version? I'm pretty sure I was testing it before and then updated it before and just never did anything after that. Just stocked piled and did other things lol.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Okay that explains the lightning bolts. They are left overs from 0.5.0. You can burn them in normal boilers if you want.

Chreutz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chreutz »

Is it on purpose that icons for the recipes for UF6 are shifted one over? the recipe that results in the 1.7% UF6 has the 1.2% icon.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

No, that shouldn't be the case. Did you start from a fresh game or did you add the mod in the interim? It maybe that some recipes icon get messed up when the mod is added in the interim. I suggest you try to reset the technology and recipe via command line.

Chreutz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chreutz »

I checked the source code, and it is an error. Quickly fixed, though.

Edit: Also, if you would like some help with the development or documentation, I'd love to be of service. I think this mod is awesome in its realism of the fuel processing and heat exchangers, and I'd like to contribute if you will allow it.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

What was the fix? I didn't notice anything amiss on my copy.

As for help, it is mostly graphical at the moment and we're close to finishing the last bits. Once 0.6.0 is released, I will focus on better documentations, i.e. some youtube video for those who need some hand holding, and a development track. You can look at that and see what you can help once I flesh out that track. The code is on github so, you can always clone and request a merge if you manage to add any code. For the foreseeable future, it will mostly be graphical stuff that takes the most time.

Chreutz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chreutz »

In the recipe-file for UF6, the icon filename should match the item name in the result. Right now, it's

Code: Select all

icon = "__UraniumPower__/graphics/icons/uranium-hexafluoride.png",
    results=
    {
      {type="item", name="empty-barrel", amount=1},
      {type="fluid", name="uranium-hexafluoride-02", amount=75}
    }
Where icon should be

Code: Select all

icon = "__UraniumPower__/graphics/icons/uranium-hexafluoride-02.png",
Etc.

And okay, I'll just try and keep up to date and make som pull requests if I spot anything I can fix. :)

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Ah I see your confusion. The icon is matched to the input, not the output. The first rung is special in that actually two steps are combined into one: HF+Yellow-cake -> UF6 => UF6 + Centrifuge -> 0.7% enriched UF6. For this reason, the icon for the recipe lacked a percentage figure. All of the other enrichment recipes have icons that designate the enrichment of the input. I hope that is more clear.

Chreutz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chreutz »

So it's intended that the recipe icons are matched to the input?

Dreadicon
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Uranium Power

Post by Dreadicon »

Just wanted to say; this looks awesome! I love the mod so far. I can't wait for the new stuff!

I'm working with heat-related problems myself in my blast-furnace mod that I am working on. specifically trying to make any sense what so ever of the heating system. I tried to set it up so air would heat such that it had the same energy potential as normal air, but the result demanded far more heat potential than it should have; something like 60 boilers. Either my calculations are off, or base-game electric furnaces are ridiculously OP. Or boilers arent behaving as they should. I'm thinking of just adding a custom electric heater, or just fiddling with it till the heat seems balanced. I'll be making the furnace produce hot exhaust gasses, which can be used with Uranium Power heat exchangers to help recover some of the heat energy.

But yeah, in regards to heat, I asked Rseding about it (who has been really helpful and insightful prior), and he simply said "fluids are magic". this was the only answer to all my inquisitions and postulations as to how it works......

Let me know if you know any more about thermal mechanics in general. The Uranium power code offered a ton of insight already for my workaround that allows me to use the built in heating system, giving players options for how they want to 'power' the blast furnace. (I link a pipe intake to it, like the reactor chest links to the access port)

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Yes, it is counter-intuitive. However, it was done that way since almost all enrichment steps have two outputs and one input. Since an icon would need to make it easy to identify where you are in the enrichment steps, the input was chosen to provide grounding.

Chreutz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chreutz »

Ah, okay, I understand your reasoning for that. Might I suggest some different icons for the recipes than for the fluids, signifying that it is a process, rather than a simple conversion.
I'll cook up a suggestion sometime, and you can decide if you like it, if that's okay?

Chreutz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chreutz »

Something like this is my suggestion, although obviously more polished and readable.
Attachments
path5732.png
path5732.png (1.86 KiB) Viewed 7990 times

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Your suggestion may work, but I'll ask my graphics friend if it is at all feasible. The problem isn't the suggestion, but rather the "resolution" allowed for the icon. Factorio has a hard limit on the png size and until it allows better icon resolution only so much details can be squeezed into a 16x16 pixel icon before it's all blurry and useless. This is especially noticeable with font resolutions.

Chreutz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chreutz »

32x32, but yeah, absolutely! Just tested, and mine is really not feasibly readable in-game.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

The png sizes really needs to increase(2048x2048 spritesheets are too low :O ), but i believe that they may be increased once they improve the vram usage :)
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

WoodyDaOcas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by WoodyDaOcas »

Hey guys :)
Thanks for the mod, it's really awesome :) I just finished the fuel ~chain let me say, but I am currently stuck on deciding what might the (exchanger) R or S mean ? I suppose I will be able to make it work according to the example, but I see there 2x R and 2x S but I can't fathom the difference there :D Maybe different recipes ? Also, care to give an example of what we might do with recipes there, like water to water exchange ? What for ? Anyone ? Thank you :)
Edit:
I finished the build, basically copied the example 1:1 and my question was supposed to be something like this: Is this compatible with DyTech, plus I added this in after some 60 hours ? Actually I believe I know the answer to that myself, since the exchanger recipes knows clean water - DyTech stuff, but.. :( It does not work .. Reactor is ok with 300 degrees, pressurised water got 300 coming out but as soon as it hits exchanger, both outputs are 15 degrees.
So input is pressurized water 300, clean water 15 and output is press 15 clean 15 :/ And on top of that, the exchanger wants some kind of fuel, which I would be ok with if it would need anything in your example, so I am clearly missing something here :D The exchanger itself says it needs 5kW of energy, so I am ok with providing fuel, but.. the example ? Anyway, the "wall" like exchangers work, so I don't mind using that, but the level of smexy of that 4 big heat exchangers is much much better, sadly :(
Any help, please ? I am willing to provide save, ofc..
Thank you
Last edited by WoodyDaOcas on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Atomic Power”