Support - Uranium Power

Power generation with atoms.

Moderator: Fatmice

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Support - Uranium Power

Post by Fatmice »

The power from the turbine-generator is a secondary power source. If you have abundant primary source, it will not provide power.
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Uranium Power

Post by Nexela »

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I can't keep these running. As soon as the load is over %50 of what can be produced it doesn't keep up. (steam gets drained to 0 then starts pulsing as enough steam is generated to kick it back on)

Cooling tank has consistent water supply, reactor has 3/4 full 350degree pressurized water

As soon as I turn the load off steam rebuilds quickly
Power

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Hard to say from the picture, but are you sure the cooling tanks really has enough water? At full throttle, each tank need 2 water-pumps on their own dedicated lines. If you watch the fluid in the cold-leg, do you notice if there's always water there? If not, it's symptomatic of not having enough water to condense the low-pressure steam back into water to reboil.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Just tried a few more tests and it seems to fix itself after replacing the steam towers and pumps a couple of times. When I was noticing this I also noticed the condenser tank never had water in it and the cold leg had 100, The water tank was full (supplied with 4 pumps)

However now the steam production can't keep up when turbines reach 26.5 MW but at least this isn't as bad and I can work around it by feeding it more power :)

BTW the steam icons would look a lot better if you remove the black background :)

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

It should have no issues with steam production if low-pressure steam is condensed into water at the same rate as water is being boiled to superheated steam. I know this is true since I've tested similar setups in the past and left them running at 100% flat out for days (real-days) at 50x game speed. The water loss due to rounding error was less than 1 unit! In order to get this behavior, you have to be aware that
1/ You need maximally enriched fuel assemblies
2/ You must have filled the reactor-chest with 9 of them
3/ There must be sufficient amount of hot (>=340 degree, >=200 fluid units) pressurized-water in the hot-leg.
4/ You must provide sufficient water to the cooling-tower tank. Currently, this water is "evaporated" to condense the low-pressure steam. If there is insufficient water in the cooling-tower tank, low-pressure steam will fill the low-pressure steam fluid-box and "overflow" will be kept internally. At the moment overflow is not causing "back-pressure," but I'm adding this into the code so that you will produce less electricity as steam is clogging your turbine when there is no room to expand. Furthermore, steam production will be affected such that you will make less steam and the core temp will rise in future version of this mod.

If 1,2, & 3 are satisfied, then the issue is 4. There's no way around it since that is how I coded, notwithstanding Factorio's fluid flow mechanics. The fluid loss, when running flat-out, in the cooling-tower tank is roughly 100-110 unit/s. This is why two water-pumps (60unit/s) are needed. Furthermore, they must service only one cooling-tower tank on a dedicated pipe line. Factorio's fluid flow is very wonky. Pipe branching can lead to unpredictable throughput.

I can guarantee you that when setup right, a single 72 MW reactor can provide up to 64 MW of electricity for eternity on mod version 0.6.x...well at least until your game runs out of tick, which given normal play is roughly 828 real-days (2^32-1/60/3600/24).

Regarding the steam icons, I made the background black because of low-resolution. If it was transparent, you can hardly see the drawing. I hope we will be allowed high-resolution icon soon.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Ok I narrowed it down
1. using 9 4.7% assemblies
2. ^
3. hot leg has 499 units of 280-320deg water (at max load)
4. Water tanks have dedicated 3x pumps
also. Water Pumps are on dedicated power supply.

The problem is 5
5. Reactor at 3/4 full is too much, needs to be about 1/4 full. As soon as I relieved some pressurized water out it kicked up as is now able to keep up when demand is greater then supply

Thanks for the help!

Iorek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Iorek »

Pressurized water pumps are effected by beacons!
soooo...
Bobs beacons...9000% speed stack
50 pumps... 144MW reactor... 40 more pumps... and then direct into steam engines III with no heat exchange!

Really hope the new version of the mod comes soon, I was pulling about 900-1400MW on my last game without any laser turrets.. just started a game with Marathon which I expect to be huge!... Need powa!!

Apolyon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Apolyon »

Hello,

After having read the tutorial available on the subject I encounter a small problem with this mod.
I think I have correctly assembled the 72mw power plant, the production is launched for about a minute and without explanation steam production fall to fall to 0.
Can you help me solve my dysfunction?
Attachments
nuc power.png
nuc power.png (3.05 MiB) Viewed 6188 times

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Don't fill the reactor to full with pressurized water

Apolyon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Apolyon »

Nexela wrote:Don't fill the reactor to full with pressurized water
oohhh!! thank you very much!!

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Yup see 3-4 posts up where I made almost the same mistake :)

About 1k water in the reactor is plenty after that it shouldn't need to any additional pressurized water and will even support another setup on the other side of the reactor.

bbgun06
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bbgun06 »

Thanks for doing this, it's the only way to keep my marathon factory running! I found a minor bug: on the power graph, once the reactors produce 60MW, the bar is filled:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =758282659

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Numbers on power graph comes directly from the game and nothing of my doing. Each turbine-generator can produce 32 MW. I see you have 10 of them so that should total to be 320 MW. If you are producing less than that, it means you're somehow lacking steam. There are many reasons for this. The bar on the power producer tells you how full they are at their production capacity. If it is completely filled, it means any power produced is being used immediately. Power in this game is taken from producers in the sequence that they are built and their priority. All turbine-generators are secondary.

bbgun06
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bbgun06 »

All of the turbines have steam and they are working fine. I'm producing less than 320MW because the factory isn't using that much. Shouldn't the bars be filled to the same percentage as the steam engines?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

It doesn't seem to be in this case. Did you built the turbines before you built the steam-engines?

bbgun06
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bbgun06 »

Yes.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Then that's how it is supposed to be. Factorio will go through the list of power providers and remove as much power from them in order. The game doesn't remove power equally from all power providers.

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

Using UP 0.6.5 on Factorio 0.13.20 on an MP server with many forces.

One of our users is able to crash the whole game every time he places something that isn't fuel into the reactor. He initially did it by accidentally putting pellets in instead of the proper fuel. He tried adding coal, and it crashed the same way. Looks like the calculate_fuel_amount function needs to test for valid items.

Code: Select all

223.136 Error MainLoop.cpp:698: Exception at tick 18223498: Error while running event on_tick (ID 0)
__UraniumPower__/control.lua:354: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

Marc90
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Marc90 »

Demosthenex wrote:Using UP 0.6.5 on Factorio 0.13.20 on an MP server with many forces.

One of our users is able to crash the whole game every time he places something that isn't fuel into the reactor. He initially did it by accidentally putting pellets in instead of the proper fuel. He tried adding coal, and it crashed the same way. Looks like the calculate_fuel_amount function needs to test for valid items.

Code: Select all

223.136 Error MainLoop.cpp:698: Exception at tick 18223498: Error while running event on_tick (ID 0)
__UraniumPower__/control.lua:354: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=9503&start=280#p200011

reaperrar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by reaperrar »

My chemical plant daisy chain quite often has blockages, although I followed the video tutorial.

For example, my 2.2% hexaflouride plant produces 1.7% & 2.7%.

The 2.7% output goes into my 2.7% plant.

The 2.7% plant produces 2.2% & 3.2%.

The 2.2% output goes back up into the 2.2% plant input.

So sometimes plant 3.2% produces 2.2% that cant go anywhere because the 2.2%plant has already received 2.2% from the previous plant (1.7%).

How can we get around these sort of blockages? ><

Return to “Atomic Power”