Uranium Power

Power generation with atoms.

Moderator: Fatmice

Woehler
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Uranium Power

Post by Woehler »

Loving the mod so far. Exactly what I have been needing.
But I have a problem where the steam generator doesn't make steam fast enough.
Got another 72MW reactor running without a problem. But now this happen to another 72MW reactor with 2 30MW turbines.
Any advice?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Woehler wrote:Loving the mod so far. Exactly what I have been needing.
But I have a problem where the steam generator doesn't make steam fast enough.
Got another 72MW reactor running without a problem. But now this happen to another 72MW reactor with 2 30MW turbines.
Any advice?
Hello, one steam generator per turbine generator. You can not run two turbine generators on one steam generator.
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

@Woehler:

Well it's tricky with two turbines at one reactor.
As shown here (viewtopic.php?f=64&t=9503&start=210#p159953), it works but you need to fill the reactor with a bit more high pressure water as suggested before connecting the second steam generator.

As Fatmice said, one steam generator and two turbines don't work, but two steam generators with turbine at one reactor do.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Released 0.6.5 due to a change in entity_filtered_area in 0.13.16 enforcing non-zero area, i.e. no more line area searches, and broke wall-type heat-exchanger functionality. The area search has been changed to a strict position search. You can update manually or use the mod portal. This change has been incorporated into my 0.7.0 developer version.

Baughn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Baughn »

So I have to ask, because nothing seems to be happening -- do fuel assemblies actually get used up?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

no

View unread Posts

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

not yet
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

0.13 is now stable and 0.14 is in experimental. I will see if any updating needs to be done to make mod compatible with 0.14 experimental this weekend.

cid0rz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by cid0rz »

Hello everyone,

I'm trying the mod and also loving it so far. I'm running 2 reactors with heat exchangers and 2 30MW complexes on another single reactor. My question comes since I've tried feeding an additional steam engine heating the water with superheated steam on its way to the turbine. The temperature of the steam dropped to 240 something and the water going to the steam engine raised up to 99.something. I didn't see any performance penalty on the turbine having the superheated steam at lower temperature. So the question is: does the temperature of the superheated steam affects turbine performance? or only quantity? I tried with this setup:
layout.jpg
layout.jpg (496.11 KiB) Viewed 7283 times
Running both towers at 31.2MW each I cannot see this affects them. Let's experiment more!

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Temperature of the superheated steam affects the amount of energy it carries. The higher the steam temperature, the lower the amount of it is consumed by the turbine. So while your setup may not produce any immediately noticeable effects, it might cause steam flux issues in the long run in a system that operates at >95% of capacity. The amount of steam that can be produced by the steam-generator is limited by the amount of heat that the reactor can dump into the pressurized water loop. The heat itself is limited by the amount and type of fuel-assemblies. In short, your heat supply is not infinite so your steam generation rate is also not infinite. The steam flux must be net positive, even if small, for the turbines to not be starved of steam when operating near peak capacity.

cid0rz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by cid0rz »

Fatmice wrote:Temperature of the superheated steam affects the amount of energy it carries. The higher the steam temperature, the lower the amount of it is consumed by the turbine. So while your setup may not produce any immediately noticeable effects, it might cause steam flux issues in the long run in a system that operates at >95% of capacity. The amount of steam that can be produced by the steam-generator is limited by the amount of heat that the reactor can dump into the pressurized water loop. The heat itself is limited by the amount and type of fuel-assemblies. In short, your heat supply is not infinite so your steam generation rate is also not infinite. The steam flux must be net positive, even if small, for the turbines to not be starved of steam when operating near peak capacity.
Ok, thank you for the info and for the mod ^^

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Fatmice wrote:0.13 is now stable and 0.14 is in experimental. I will see if any updating needs to be done to make mod compatible with 0.14 experimental this weekend.
Please don't feel rushed - i'm still waiting for a lot of other mod updates for 0.14, but do you have any idea when we can expect an update to 0.14?
Maybe we should skip 0.14 and jump directly to 0.15 if it's released?

Greetings steinio

View unread Posts

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Hello, I had been busy and haven't look yet. I'm nearing the completion of my PhD work so it's been hectic. 0.14 seems to be mostly multiplayer stuff so it shouldn't affect this mod much. I do have a fix for the reactor-chest bug that I want to add before I release an update of this mod for 0.14. I'll try to find time this weekend.

ksi_01
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ksi_01 »

Hello,
I badly know English.
Translation via Google.
I changed Your mod. Added some technological chains, and taken with other generating electricity.
View attached files.
If interested let us cooperate
Attachments
Tech_en.png
Tech_en.png (214.63 KiB) Viewed 7276 times
Power_en.png
Power_en.png (754.95 KiB) Viewed 7276 times

afk2minute
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by afk2minute »

ksi_01 wrote:Hello,
I badly know English.
Translation via Google.
I changed Your mod. Added some technological chains, and taken with other generating electricity.
View attached files.
If interested let us cooperate
Its already done? Can i try your mod? Or is it just flowchart?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

They're very nice flow charts :) Though I must say, there are some over-complications due to sticking too much with reality. I had to make some simplification to the steam cycle since gameplay wise the real steam cycle wouldn't be fun at all to code.

Have you actually made any code?

ksi_01
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ksi_01 »

Fatmice wrote:They're very nice flow charts :) Though I must say, there are some over-complications due to sticking too much with reality. I had to make some simplification to the steam cycle since gameplay wise the real steam cycle wouldn't be fun at all to code.

Hello,
The Mod is fully ready and operational.
But the first time I do a mod.
Therefore, I would like to check it out.
Not yet localization.
Not to confuse customers of the forum, let us via private mail to correspond. And then the result is spread to all.
Write on what resource you can upload the mod to check. My e-mail: ksi_01@mail.ru
(Translated by Google)

Iorek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Iorek »

changed the json and using on 0.14...

really loving it, looks nice.. the detail is amazing. I had a look at your code, and its just mind blowing the detail you have gone into.

Small complaint 2x 33MW... Doesn't really give enough power for my needs.... Can we get another building for the 144MW with a bit more.. bang..

Can't blueprint drop reactors and have them simply run, as you need to add water/press Water etc, and they tend to need rebuilding bit by bit manually before they function.

outside of the aesthetics.... after setting one of these up... I can't help thinking a few solar panels is simply a better option...game play wise.

Solar can be used to redirect/wall off biters or force bottlenecks, they are relatively cheap and can be Blueprint spammed for 100s of MW! integral Accumulators also allow for bursts of high peak usage (more than you can produce) eg 3000 robots charging, large biter assault hitting laser turrets etc.

Could we get a 70MW tower for the 144?

Also, the ammo is a touch imbalanced, pellets get dropped out of the system far too often and create cheap ammo that is more powerful than ammo in any other mod! IIRC base ammo deals something like 2 damage and 5 for the upgraded ammo.. this is 12+24! Bobs sniper turret is dealing 22,000 damage!
Perhaps tone the ammo down, or increase the pellet cost of production 10-50x
In your tutorial video Production shuts down because you have a box full of these! perhaps make them only produce 1 pellet every 5 mins?

:0 having fun killing myself with Nukes at close range!

afk2minute
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by afk2minute »

Iorek wrote:changed the json and using on 0.14...

really loving it, looks nice.. the detail is amazing. I had a look at your code, and its just mind blowing the detail you have gone into.

Small complaint 2x 33MW... Doesn't really give enough power for my needs.... Can we get another building for the 144MW with a bit more.. bang..

Can't blueprint drop reactors and have them simply run, as you need to add water/press Water etc, and they tend to need rebuilding bit by bit manually before they function.

outside of the aesthetics.... after setting one of these up... I can't help thinking a few solar panels is simply a better option...game play wise.

Solar can be used to redirect/wall off biters or force bottlenecks, they are relatively cheap and can be Blueprint spammed for 100s of MW! integral Accumulators also allow for bursts of high peak usage (more than you can produce) eg 3000 robots charging, large biter assault hitting laser turrets etc.

Could we get a 70MW tower for the 144?

Also, the ammo is a touch imbalanced, pellets get dropped out of the system far too often and create cheap ammo that is more powerful than ammo in any other mod! IIRC base ammo deals something like 2 damage and 5 for the upgraded ammo.. this is 12+24! Bobs sniper turret is dealing 22,000 damage!
Perhaps tone the ammo down, or increase the pellet cost of production 10-50x
In your tutorial video Production shuts down because you have a box full of these! perhaps make them only produce 1 pellet every 5 mins?

:0 having fun killing myself with Nukes at close range!
It would be to overpowered and unbalanced if it can be blueprinted.
What it is now - its a solar panel, that can work at night and needs water...
Too compact to be able to just spam it IMO.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Hello,

While I could make a small change in the code to allow blueprinting, I felt that it was unneeded because the objective is not to have too many of these reactors, unlike solar farms. The 0.7.x will bring reactor that has a much larger capacity such that you do not need more than one or two of them. For megabase builders, I would recommend switching to fusion reactor, in the range of 10-50 GW, which I do plan to implement. Hopefully, Factorio 0.15 experimental will bring some interesting changes that can be used in place of some of my workarounds. There's a fluid reactor that I'm working on and I think I'll allow these to be blue-printable. I had in mind for them to be more flexible in their layout. You can either use the heat to run turbine or drive chemical cycles that stores the heat in various form such as hydrogen, dme (dimethyl ether), or some other carbon fuel.

Regarding, uber ammo. They're not that uber. ;) The reason is you're using up U-238 instead of saving them for energy production. In effect, you are exchanging potential energy for ammunition and thus depriving yourself of future energy security. I do agree though the recipes will need some tweaks so more pellets will be needed to make these ammo. The tank shell you're referring to aren't yet nukes... ;) I guess you could call them baby nukes, really dirty bomb. I had in mind a real nuke that will need some care in use and maybe some fun way to deploy. The effect would need to be spiffy though and the area of devastation grim enough that you shouldn't use them willy-nilly though it might be interesting in a PVP setting as either deterrence or mutual destruction. The main issue though is the radiation fall out...it's just not very nice and I've yet to have a solution that's not going to kill your ticks while still useful.

Regarding my videos, they are getting a bit dated and I need to make new ones. I recorded them in a hurry and it showed. I also recorded them after having been up all night working on the mod so there are quite a few moments of incoherence.

Regarding json change, can it be made to be both 0.13.x and 0.14.x compatible? I know there are many who still do not care to switch and do not want to force anyone to switch unless they want to. 0.14.x doesn't really have anything new other than drop-in/out multiplayer session and equipment grid for vehicles. API wise, there is very little change from 0.13.x

TLDR, you'll be getting a 1-1.5 GWe (electric) capable reactors in the next version. The PWR will go through fuel assemblies pretty quickly so you'll need some infrastructure to keep them running. You will likely need to run a PWR and a liquid reactor in tandem to sustain yourself if you want a semi-close fuel cycle, with the latter as a breeder to make more fuel for use in the former. There will be waste so you will need to either deal with them or store them to be dealt with later. The latter is easy but needs resource investment that can not be recovered. The former is a more permanent solution but needs energy. I will probably release an ugly (read very ugly placeholder gfx) developer version for everyone, at least those willing, to play with for feedback and bug squashing while gfx is being worked on.
ksi_01 wrote:
Fatmice wrote:They're very nice flow charts :) Though I must say, there are some over-complications due to sticking too much with reality. I had to make some simplification to the steam cycle since gameplay wise the real steam cycle wouldn't be fun at all to code.

Hello,
The Mod is fully ready and operational.
But the first time I do a mod.
Therefore, I would like to check it out.
Not yet localization.
Not to confuse customers of the forum, let us via private mail to correspond. And then the result is spread to all.
Write on what resource you can upload the mod to check. My e-mail: ksi_01@mail.ru
(Translated by Google)
I've send you a PM on this forum.

Return to “Atomic Power”