Uranium Power

Power generation with atoms.

Moderator: Fatmice

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Uranium Power

Post by Fatmice »

Going well, I'm porting 0.6.7 to Factorio 0.15.x. Also making some changes to make the mod less UPS heavy in large scale building.
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

It would be nice to see an update or progress report every week just to know how things are going.

This mod is one I've naturally been anticipating for a while, I haven't started playing yet because of the wait, so the silence is making me a bit concerned if things are even moving. Having weekly reports would be greatly appreciated to ease the mind.

mcwaffles2003
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcwaffles2003 »

Light wrote:It would be nice to see an update or progress report every week just to know how things are going.

This mod is one I've naturally been anticipating for a while, I haven't started playing yet because of the wait, so the silence is making me a bit concerned if things are even moving. Having weekly reports would be greatly appreciated to ease the mind.
this please

ssfsx17
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ssfsx17 »

Assuming that the schedule of school testing is similar to that of the USA - hopefully we can get one sentence of update, or just one picture, next week

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

ssfsx17 wrote:Assuming that the schedule of school testing is similar to that of the USA - hopefully we can get one sentence of update, or just one picture, next week
mcwaffles2003 wrote:
Light wrote:It would be nice to see an update or progress report every week just to know how things are going.

this please

Calm down guys. :P
I have been very busy. I had back to back conferences and a raid array crash. This is why there was no update for the past weeks. Rest assured I am working on the mod. I just recovered my array...that was not easy.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Fatmice wrote:Calm down guys. :P
You must understand that you were the one who got our hopes up in the first place.

On May 6th you posted that a release may happen in roughly one week, restoring most of the functionality and improving vanilla reactors. Updates followed for a few days after, including excitement over a discovery that would speed up the process on May 10th.

On May 23rd, you stated that development is going well and minor tweaking was going on. Considering the two week gap between updates, this felt like a good sign the mod was nearing completion as it was one week after the implied release date you told us.

Then dead silence for a full month while we eagerly anticipated a quick 5 minute post with either an update or release at any moment.

While I'm pleased to finally get an update, alongside the news that you got things in order, it's not exactly our fault for getting excited that one of our favorite mods was nearing completion but getting largely disappointed and concerned when things went quiet for as long as it has. This is the great curse of throwing a release date out and writing up about how everything is going great, only to drop off the map and leave us in the dark. It's not unreasonable to expect us to ask questions and hope for some answers given that situation, wouldn't you agree?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Yes yes, I was excited too. Thus I was a bit more chatty than I should be. Normally I keep it down as I don't want people anticipating. :) I lost some files from the array crash and have to start over with new codes. Short of it is I am trying to keep the 3x3 as is while changing the 5x5 to something more interesting. This change needed more codes and that is where I am right now. The past several weeks has not been good on my free time either. I was out of town most of the time due to two conferences (two weeks), then when I get back my array crashed. Add on top of that my PI wanted a new paper written before he went to vacation. You don't want to be in my shoes. :cry: But he is on vacation now...a little breather for me. I can't blame you for feeling miffed. :)

mcwaffles2003
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcwaffles2003 »

Fatmice wrote:Yes yes, I was excited too. Thus I was a bit more chatty than I should be. Normally I keep it down as I don't want people anticipating. :) I lost some files from the array crash and have to start over with new codes. Short of it is I am trying to keep the 3x3 as is while changing the 5x5 to something more interesting. This change needed more codes and that is where I am right now. The past several weeks has not been good on my free time either. I was out of town most of the time due to two conferences (two weeks), then when I get back my array crashed. Add on top of that my PI wanted a new paper written before he went to vacation. You don't want to be in my shoes. :cry: But he is on vacation now...a little breather for me. I can't blame you for feeling miffed. :)
no worries man, thanks again for your efforts. keep it up :D cant wait to play with it

Vadise
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vadise »

I have been wondering since our last contact. Do you intend to use the vanilla uranium and the vanilla centrifuges, or continue to make use of the assemblers? How do you intend to handle this? Will you keep the vanilla nuclear products completely separate from the mod's products?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Vadise wrote:I have been wondering since our last contact. Do you intend to use the vanilla uranium and the vanilla centrifuges, or continue to make use of the assemblers? How do you intend to handle this? Will you keep the vanilla nuclear products completely separate from the mod's products?
Currently I have a recipe to combine vanilla U-238 and U-235 at a certain ratio to make the 4.7% pellets. It is a one way conversion. I'm keeping my ore and processings for backward compatibility. This way people can play with both types of reactors, mine and vanilla no matter which ore processing line they started with.

Vadise
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vadise »

I have been using pclance_reactors mod for a while now, and so far it is very satisfying, being able to fine tune the reactor fuel ratio with circuits for greater fuel efficiency. With a simple circuit, you can automatically adjust fuel consumption to maintain a steady temperature as turbine performance goes up or down, and you have a temperature limit, if you let the reactor get too hot, it may melt down.

Does your mod work similarly? can you connect your reactor components to the network for monitoring and fine tuning? May I suggest adding similar features to your reactors if not?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

I won't say much other than the 3x3 doesn't have circuit control but the 5x5 does. ;)

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Variable speed turbine from 1-5x...Took freaking forever to get right.
steam-turbine

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Fatmice wrote:Variable speed turbine from 1-5x...Took freaking forever to get right.
steam-turbine
Interesting.

Is it safe to assume this is mostly going to play with vanilla assets, or will it use custom graphics for anything?

Cheers
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

I'm using vanilla assets to prototype and debug. Customs assets will be created, slowly, after I release.

thatguyagain
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by thatguyagain »

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for this mod, I loved the complexity of the reactors and especially the fuel reprocessing chain when I was playing it back in .14 especially when combined with bob's and angel's mods. You've been quiet for over a month now and while I know it takes a time to make great things I was just wondering if you were still actively working on the mod? I get you're probably busy with school/real life stuff but I'm sure many of us would love even a small status update if you could spare the time. Right now there's really nothing out that's even close to what you've created and it's definitely a hole that I have in my set of mods that I would love to have filled.

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Is this a dead mod?
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

diongham wrote:Is this a dead mod?
Indeed, it has been almost 7 months since 0.15 was released.
I'm doubting much progress has been made since we never get any progress or status reports, but just having the mod ported to 0.15 would be more than acceptable right now.

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Light wrote:
I'm doubting much progress has been made since we never get any progress or status reports, but just having the mod ported to 0.15 would be more than acceptable right now.
Well the licence is MIT so technically we could update the mod for 0.15 and release it.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

diongham wrote:
Light wrote:
Well the licence is MIT so technically we could update the mod for 0.15 and release it.
Well, I meant more along the lines of Fatmice himself releasing the port with his UPS improvements. Something he mentioned being worked on in May, which will greatly help those of us who suffer UPS drops due to a dozen reactors.

If someone is willing to touch up the code while porting to 0.15, then I'd be all over it.

Return to “Atomic Power”