Moderator: Fatmice

Iorek
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Uranium Power

Post by Iorek »

Fatmice wrote: in the range of 10-50 GW,
I just pee'd a little bit

This is what normally happens with Bobs Mk3 5000 hp tank, equipped with 8200 shields... http://forge.gg/i/VmlkZW86ODYwODU4

nuke cannon ammo in turrets :) ... it.... .. gets the biters.... http://forge.gg/i/VmlkZW86ODYwODYy

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Looks funny in the second one. Though I can't really stop a tank shell from being used in funny ways in other mod. :lol:
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

sore68
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sore68 »

UP is very simple and efficient in small spaces!! :D

water input is MF Water Pump in Yuoki mod
1set
6set

kab83
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kab83 »

do you have a plan which update in 0.14 mod?
i wait a day by day your mod.
your mod is good to be stable electricity. last game i built 30 nuke reactors for my factory.

if you have a plan, talk to me please.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

sore68 wrote:UP is very simple and efficient in small spaces!! :D

1set
6set
I'm just wondering why this setup works without the steam generator and circulation pump.
Did you cheat anything or is this the correct setup in the latest version?

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

sore68
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sore68 »

kab83 wrote:do you have a plan which update in 0.14 mod?
your mod is good to be stable electricity. last game i built 30 nuke reactors for my factory.

Just change version

1. open UP.zip
2. open info.json with notepad or notepad++
3. change 2 number
"dependencies": ["base >= 0.14"],
"factorio_version": "0.14"
4. save and end

sore68
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sore68 »

steinio wrote: I'm just wondering why this setup works without the steam generator and circulation pump.
Did you cheat anything or is this the correct setup in the latest version?

Greetings steinio

Yep, I use UP 0.6.5
Factorio 14.9

Why I don't use Reactor pump and Steam generator.

Steam generator mk1 is not placed with 144MW reactor.
Reactor is used only heating pressurised water.

blueprint string code
code
This string is required mod. UP and Yuoki + Yuoki engines

kab83
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kab83 »

sore68 wrote:
kab83 wrote:do you have a plan which update in 0.14 mod?

THANK YOU SO MUCK.

HAVE A GOOD DAY

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

sore68 wrote:UP is very simple and efficient in small spaces!! :D

1set
6set
Thanks for this. It took me a bit of staring at the picture zoomed in before I realised all those outer pumps are P-pumps. I duplicated your build with an Angels/Bobs save using explosive excavations to let me place offshore pumps round it in place of the YI ones (water bores are disabled in angels stuff). The P-pumps use a bit of power but not needing several loops makes the cost acceptable.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

ksi_01 wrote:Hello,
I badly know English.
Translation via Google.
I changed Your mod. Added some technological chains, and taken with other generating electricity.
View attached files.
If interested let us cooperate
Images
Since it has been a while, is there a plan to perform this or update in the works?

Although this is my favorite of the uranium mods, it would be nice to build larger turbines and facilities with added depth aside from making 9 fuel rods then 'build it and forget it.'
Thanks to Angel's mods, there's no shortage of uraninite slurry and fluorine gas to go around. Soon have enough fuel rods to irradiate the entire planet. :lol:

I've heard vanilla intends to have nuclear, which is why I'm curious of your plans moving forward. Any additional depth is always welcome in my book.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Of course, I'm working on this in my spare time...in fact I'm working on it right now :lol: . Vanilla nuclear power won't be a hindrance for my plans. Indeed, I welcome the addition from vanilla side since code-wise the vanilla additions might simplify my code.

I just revised some layout, this is the current layout.
PWR
Edit: Updated with some arrows for your imagination.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

I'm glad to hear it.

As my factory continues to grow at a massive and complex rate, I always found the reactor just too small and simple, so I craved much more from it.
Heat exchangers were a thrill to learn and build early on though, as it felt like an interesting and decently sized power plant.

Speaking of mega-factories, have you decided on the number of tiers or MW production that you'd like to have? (Like the 54MW, 163MW, 439MW, 748MW in the pictures or something different)
As I know you love Yuoki's and came up with pretty neat designs for Yuoki's power production, I'd guess you have a thought on what would be well balanced and how many tiers you'd like to go.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

The current layout is capable of 3500 MW heat. You will need a lot of rods. You push all of that heat into the turbines to produce electricity. The layout that you saw is one of many for the turbine combinations.

Here are some specifications:
-steam-generator is 75% efficient
-reheat-exchanger is 70% efficient
-high-pressure turbine-generator is 80% efficient
-low-pressure turbine-generator is 90% efficient
-excess heat must be rejected into the cooling tower.

Overall you can make at most 1575 MW electric. You certainly can make less, but never more than this amount. I'm playing around with numbers so you can get a variety of turbine layouts.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Sounds flexible and complex enough to be quite a joy to design.
I've got a nice plot of land prepared just for a giant power plant, which should look pretty cool when you're finished the update.

Best of luck.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Fatmice wrote:-excess heat must be rejected into the cooling tower.
Just noticed you added meltdown.

Which reminds me, is there any plan or way to add a fallout mechanic?

While I'm unsure if the damage or destruction of a reactor can be programmed to release a ton of pollution, there seems to be little reason to protect it. Even though I've never seen biters go for the reactor compared to other structures surrounding it. It would make sense to protect the extremely dangerous nuclear fuel, or suffer a major pollution outbreak that attracts even more danger to the factory while the 'fallout' spreads and very slowly decays.

Not sure if you tackled this in the past, but I do remember the devs discussing this idea on the Steam forums when users brought it up for vanilla reactors. They seemed to reject the idea by claiming it would be too unfair to the player, but we're smart enough to know better about protecting the critical buildings, right?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

I'm carefully considering the followings.

-Reactor maintenance: During operation, components directly adjacent to the main/auxiliary reactor and the reactors themselves will take damage to their structural integrity, entity hp in the game. The higher the operational power, the higher the severity. This can be mitigated with the use of repair packs and automated by robots.
-Reactor damage or non-operational
  • I've changed the temperature range of pressurized-water to [0-600] degrees. The reactor is being programmed to add heat in a way to minimize temperature incursion beyond 400 degrees. However, temperature incursion can and will occur since the reactor is simply a boiler that will always add heat when it has energy. You can minimize the magnitude of this incursion by having sufficient amounts of liquid in the reactor to act as a buffer. You can further eliminate the incursion by having predictable and stable power consumption, i.e. non-spikey consumption profile. During temperature incursion, the reactor (main and auxilliary if you have them) will take additional damage in addition to the operational damage. If the temperature incursion led to the maximum 600 degrees and is sustained for some to-be-defined length of time, I've programmed the logic to shutdown the reactor and place it in non-operational mode for some to-be-defined length of time. Restart of the reactor is automatic but will require certain criteria such as the coolant temperature being below 400 degrees and the reactor and its components being fully repaired.
  • Spent pool is now a required entity that is adjacent to the reactor. It has its own cooling needs and such can affect the operation of the reactor. If the temperature of the coolant, which is water, is above 50 degrees, it will start to consume coolant. This can lead to the positive cycle of more heat and faster coolant consumption. Should the level of coolant drop below 30% and remain there for some to-be-defined length of time, the spent fuel is considered exposed and will cause radiation leakage. This amounts to spawning poison clouds and periodic damage to surrounding entities within a to-be-defined radius. This stage will also shutdown the reactor connected to the spent pool.
  • I'm making the reactor and its component highly resistant to damage by conventional armaments in the game. However, they are not impervious. In the event that directed fire destroys the spent pool, reactor, or auxiliary reactor, they will leave behind rubble that does not disappear and that can not be removed by the player or robots. If the rubble belongs to the spent pool and it had spent fuel at the time of its destruction, it will periodically spawn poison clouds and damage nearby entities. If the rubble belongs to the reactor or auxiliary reactor, it will do the same but at a higher magnitude, i.e. a non shielded player will likely die very quickly near it. The way to deal with these remnants is to bury them. They will remain on the map but will not bother you unless the burial itself is destroyed, in which case you will need to rebury them.
-Spent fuel
  • You either reprocess the spent fuel or bury them
  • Waste from reprocessing are divided into two types: burnable or non-burnable in a reactor
  • Burnables require the liquid reactor, which is also where you can make more fuel
  • Non-burnables can either be buried or transmuted into useful and rare metals that you can not obtain from mining.
  • Transmutation is not being coded yet but will require a lot of energy, conveniently provided by your reactors. ;)
It goes without saying that I'm in the process of making all reactor components immovable by the player or robots when they are operational. They are also not placeable by robots.

dark_mift
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dark_mift »

Hello,

I was wondering how is this mod named in the factorio in game mod browser.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

dark_mift wrote:Hello,

I was wondering how is this mod named in the factorio in game mod browser.
It's also called uranium power: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Fatmice/UraniumPower
but you won't find a 0.14 version.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Speadge
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Speadge »

Hey fatmice,

I like the complexity of your ideas, but lets face the truth: if an atomic power solution might be stock in 0.15, all your work might be obsolete for the most ppl.

Wouldnt it have kinda more sense to polish the current version of this mod, add fuel decay and fix bugs and other things and consider a bigger release once 0.15 is out?

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Speadge wrote:Hey fatmice,

I like the complexity of your ideas, but lets face the truth: if an atomic power solution might be stock in 0.15, all your work might be obsolete for the most ppl.

Wouldnt it have kinda more sense to polish the current version of this mod, add fuel decay and fix bugs and other things and consider a bigger release once 0.15 is out?
If anything, what he has right now may be exactly what the vanilla version would entail. A simple system that creates 20-30MW and nothing more. The devs already stated that they find the game complex enough, so it's unlikely to be anything interesting. However, what Fatmice has planned will not only satisfy those who enjoy complexity and realism, but also provide massive quantities of power well beyond what is currently available as the benefit for learning a more complex system.

It was my fear that this mod was going to fade out as well, but upon hearing that creation of a moderately sized nuclear power plant could generate up to 1575 MW so long as maintenance and resource upkeep was maintained, sounded like it would be a major keeper for anyone who intends to build large scale factories without having to keep returning to the power grid to constantly upgrade it. Especially with Bob's mods where high tier buildings can easily jump beyond 30MW when a section is completed, forcing several new reactors to be required instead of relying on just the mega-reactor to easily keep up with demand at the cost of additional self-damage and fuel rod consumption.

Return to “Atomic Power”