[0.11.x] Uranium Power

Power generation with atoms.

Moderator: Fatmice

Zeeth_Kyrah
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.11.x] Uranium Power

Post by Zeeth_Kyrah »

leeknivek wrote:I should clarify, since its not that they clog from too much liquid, more along the lines of not producing fast enough to meet demand from the 2:1 ratio.

So
-plant one, .7%, operates twice before plant two (1.1%) can operate once.
-Plant two operates twice before plant three (1.5%) operates once.
-Plant one operates four times before plant three operates once.
I'm sorry if this is confusing, I'm trying my best.

This process continues seven times, so there is an "overall" ratio of 64:32:16:8:4:2:1 in order to produce one unit of 3.5% uranium. When you consider that each level produces, in equal proportion, the next tier higher and the previous tier lower, that should? Mean that all of those ratios are halved, since they're already being produced.

This is really difficult to wrap my head around!

@tehraven

The reactors, as far as I can tell, are basically just boilers. They power steam engines (like in real life).
Except the amount of power they can produce is, as stated in a previous post, 30-50MW. for comparison, I have 32 steam engines run by a bank of 60-75 boilers and the most I've seen it make is 18MW. That's with 10+ water pumps feeding into tanks that then are cleaned (DyTech), boiled, and stored in I don't know how many tanks at 100 degrees. One reactor can make twice that, if maxed out.
I'm finding that I don't need a lot of 3.5% uranium, since it produces a lot more power over time. So it's okay not to have the chemical plants running 100% of the time as long as you're getting enough input from your mining drills to cover losses. Maybe if you're running more than two reactors you'll want to have extra chemical plants, but otherwise no big deal.
Planned projects: Energy Crystals Plus, Minor Fluid Handling, Small electric furnaces
(high-energy materials and assembler, fluid void burner and small tank, tiny and slow furnaces with charcoal)

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Do you know when you could make it MP compatible? It is currently not using player index. How does one remove the access port?

I tested the generation capability of the small and big nuclear fission reactor. They are incapable of generating at the specified rate, 18 and 50 MW. The small reactor can support at most 4.4 MW and big reactor at 5.4 MW. The problem has to do with heat transfer rate. Since the reactors are boilers, they will have boiler behavior. The pressurized-water looses its temperature when it is being taken from the reactor faster than it could be heated up. Indeed, putting three small reactor inline is capable of supporting one Rensuir generator (12 MW) from Yuoki with water at 273C, a fourth will bring the water to 275C. When using 4.7% fuel assembly, only 5 assemblies needed per reactor to support this setup.

I suggest you lower the reactor rating or increase the heat transfer rate. I do not know what is the maximum heat transfer rate, but the maximum heat extraction rate is (544/6) KJ/s.

Pressurized water should work at a rate of 1 instead of 0.75 for easy calculation.

There is a small bug where the output for each enrichment shows the same uranium hexafloride products.

This enrichment setup works well and will never jam.
New_Uranium-1.jpg
New_Uranium-1.jpg (840.33 KiB) Viewed 11256 times
New_Uranium-2.jpg
New_Uranium-2.jpg (598.62 KiB) Viewed 11256 times
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

Liquius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Liquius »

TehRaven wrote:I've sifted through all of the uhm information on this post and still haven't gotten a clear definition of how this mod works. Does the reactor output super heated steam to power engines? What are the lightning bolt items that are created by the reactor used for? I used them as fuel for the boilers but they have a fuel rating of 1MJ which is akin to firewood, so not a very appealing source of fuel. Does anyone have a picture or video showing a working reactor setup? thanks.
The information at the start if this thread is outdated. As of 0.4.0 I am using a different (and much better) mechanic for a fission reactor.

The reactor comes in two parts.
- A very powerful boiler that can transfer huge amounts of energy to water (18MW for a small reactor and 50MW for a large reactor)
- A chest or "fuel assembly access port" (size 9 for small reactor and size 25 for a big reactor).

You place your fuel assembles into the chest. The game counts the fuel assemblies and adds them up.
Fuel Assembly Values
The resulting value is then inserted into the boiler as fuel once every 15 ticks or 4 times a second.

Now onto the setup.
Something like this is a good start. As you can see, I am not using much power, so the fuel has stacked up.

Liquius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Liquius »

Fatmice wrote:Do you know when you could make it MP compatible? It is currently not using player index.
I didn't realise that that was the case. It should be fairly easy to do.
How does one remove the access port?
It's not working as intended. It should have been mineable but with no result, instead I did something stupid.
I tested the generation capability of the small and big nuclear fission reactor. They are incapable of generating at the specified rate, 18 and 50 MW. The small reactor can support at most 4.4 MW and big reactor at 5.4 MW. The problem has to do with heat transfer rate. Since the reactors are boilers, they will have boiler behavior. The pressurized-water looses its temperature when it is being taken from the reactor faster than it could be heated up. Indeed, putting three small reactor inline is capable of supporting one Rensuir generator (12 MW) from Yuoki with water at 273C, a fourth will bring the water to 275C. When using 4.7% fuel assembly, only 5 assemblies needed per reactor to support this setup.
In theory, a maxed out reactor can put 18/50MW into a fluid. You should be able to achieve that with pressurised water and making use all 4 pipe connections.

It's also worth taking into account the efficiency of the steam engine. The vanilla one works at 80%. That makes 14.4MW and 40MW.
Pressurized water should work at a rate of 1 instead of 0.75 for easy calculation.
Is this for the recipe? I will think about it.

Thanks for the feedback.
There is a small bug where the output for each enrichment shows the same uranium hexafloride products.
I have noted that as well, however I don't think there's much I can do about it.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Liquius wrote: In theory, a maxed out reactor can put 18/50MW into a fluid. You should be able to achieve that with pressurised water and making use all 4 pipe connections.

It's also worth taking into account the efficiency of the steam engine. The vanilla one works at 80%. That makes 14.4MW and 40MW.
Vanilla steam-engine is 100% efficient. I will see about the pipe connection.
Liquius wrote:Pressurized water should work at a rate of 1 instead of 0.75 for easy calculation.
This is for the assembler prototype that you used for the pressurizer. I think you used assembler-2 so it works at .75. Should be easier to change it to 1.

Liquius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Liquius »

Fatmice wrote:Vanilla steam-engine is 100% efficient. I will see about the pipe connection.
My mistake, I've been spending too much time looking at boiler templates.

0.4.2 is out. You can download it here.
https://github.com/Liquius/UraniumPower ... p?raw=true

Bugs/fixes
- Chests are now minable.
- It should now work in multiplayer, but I haven't been able to test it yet. I should be able to test it tonight.

Balance tweaks
- The Uranium Hexafluoride recipes ingredients and products have been halved, and the crafting time reduced significantly. This should make it less prone to clogging up, but the logistical nightmare/fun is still there.
- Yellowcake produces more Uranium Hexafluoride.
- Uranium Oxide pellets cost less (was 5, now 3).

TehRaven
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TehRaven »

Liquius wrote:
TehRaven wrote:I've sifted through all of the uhm information on this post and still haven't gotten a clear definition of how this mod works. Does the reactor output super heated steam to power engines? What are the lightning bolt items that are created by the reactor used for? I used them as fuel for the boilers but they have a fuel rating of 1MJ which is akin to firewood, so not a very appealing source of fuel. Does anyone have a picture or video showing a working reactor setup? thanks.
The information at the start if this thread is outdated. As of 0.4.0 I am using a different (and much better) mechanic for a fission reactor.

The reactor comes in two parts.
- A very powerful boiler that can transfer huge amounts of energy to water (18MW for a small reactor and 50MW for a large reactor)
- A chest or "fuel assembly access port" (size 9 for small reactor and size 25 for a big reactor).

You place your fuel assembles into the chest. The game counts the fuel assemblies and adds them up.
Fuel Assembly Values
The resulting value is then inserted into the boiler as fuel once every 15 ticks or 4 times a second.

Now onto the setup.
Something like this is a good start. As you can see, I am not using much power, so the fuel has stacked up.

So you just feed from a regular water pump into the reactor and then directly to the steam engines? I have a setup using the large reactor with multiple of the highest yield fuel rods. The problem I am encountering (with only 12-15 steam engines connected) is that there isn't enough water flow. I was under the impression that I had to use the "pressurized water" pumps because the standard water only reaches 100 degrees (pressurized water is 250 degrees). AND because of the slow rate of production I am using (4) pressurized water pumps with a basic beacon boosting the speed and still can't keep a steady flow of electricity.

Liquius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Liquius »

I spent a bit of time experimenting and found the following things.
- Energy consumption measures the amount of fuel consumed before effectivity is taken into effect.
- From what I can tell, boilers only work at 100% of their energy consumption value when there fluid box is full.

I will push out an update later today.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

In MP, it will complain that there isn't 1 player when placing the reactor. It will crash the game if you click "OK." If you hit Esc, game resumes, but no chest will spawn. So MP is still not working.

I tried to figure your problem for the boiler-reactor. The problem isn't pipes or lack of liquid, rather it is heat transfer.You can not adjust any of the value in the boiler prototype. They are in fact inter-related. My testing showed that one can never reaches the rated MW of a boiler. You can asymptotically approach this value but as you get closer to it the system will become quite unstable. The temperature of the fluid will continue to decrease. There seems to be a maximum power below the rated MW of the boiler where the system is stable though. I found that this is about 70% of rated MW. You can push this value as high as 95% but this would require adjusting Eff and the FV. Indeed, for a each Eff, there is a Fuel Value that saturates the heat transfer (temperature of the fluid does not increase further when the system has just a bit more consumers than could be supported) leading to a maximum effective power transfer less than but proportional to the rated MW. Basically, don't just slap a rated MW on and call it a day. The Eff and FV determines the rated MW which determines the effective MW. You could get very high numbers but the limit MW will be determine by fluid flow limit, which there is, 240 units/s (assuming that Eff =< 1!!!).

Now lets talk theory.

MW=energy_consumption, FV= fuel value in MJ, BCD = burning_cooldown and Eff = burner effectivity.

The base_area of a fluid_box determines how much fluid the structure can hold. The relation is simply 10 x base_area, so a base_area of 3 means it holds a maximum of 30 units of fluid. This also determines the maximum latent heat that it can hold. The larger this value, the more fuel it will have to consume to increase temperature of the fluid, but it will be more resistant to temperature fluctuations. The amount of latent heat is simply heat_capacity x (max_temperature - default_temperature) x 10 x base_area. The small reactor case => 1 KJ/C x (275C-15C) x 10 x 3 = 7800 KJ. Fresh fluid dilute the latent heat of the structure, so at a certain fluid flux, more heat is removed than can be transferred to the structure. This is why the fluid temperature fluctuates and usually decreases to a value below max_temperature as more consumers are added to the boiler. I would assume that the boiler code uses some type of recursion algorithm to do heat averaging. Boiler can consume fuel per tick so the maximum heat intake rate is (FV x Eff) per tick. Maximum fuel consumption rate is therefore simply MW / (FV x Eff). This rate decreases when fluid temperature approaches max_temperature. The MW value influences how much fuel is consumed per second. If the rate of fuel consumption is greater than 60 x MW/(FV x Eff) then the actual rated MW is simply FV x Eff x 60. Heat transfer something complicated but I'm incline to think it is (maximum latent heat - current latent heat / maximum latent heat) x (MW / (FV x Eff)). Burning_cooldown is simply how many ticks of animation when boiler consumes fuel.

Here are the current values for your small reactor
MW = 18 MW
FV = 1 MJ
Eff = 0.1

Fuel consumption rate = 18 / (1 x 0.1) = 180 units of 1 MJ. However, this is higher than the max of 60 units per second, so Fuel consumption rate = 60 units of 1 MJ. Therefore, maximum heat intake is 6 MJ. This is indeed the theoretical maximum MW of the reactor (6MW). You can asymptotically approach this value by increasing the rated MW (energy_consumption). The relationship is rather complicated due to the fact there are some hidden variable that we do not know of and so can not make a full description of the system (if we have the code for the boiler, all would make sense). Suffice to say, you can never extract 6 MW from the reactor. For the reactor to give you 6 MW of power, the latent heat must always be 7800 KJ, but since this "pot of heat" is always being diluted by fresh fluid, it is never full.

So what to do? If you want the small reactor to give 18 MW of power, the rated MW must be increased to at least 20 MW. The Eff will also need to increase to 0.45 and the FV to 6.5 MJ (this is the value that saturates heat transfer, the exact value is likely between 6 and 7 MJ, but that is not important). This is reasonable since nuclear fission reactor has a gross thermal efficiency of 33%-35% using high pressure water. Super-critical water would put gross thermal efficiency closer to 45%. If you want higher, you would need to use another fluid as coolant, for example helium gas. Change pressurized water to super-critical water and call it a day. ;)

New small reactor
MW = 20 MW
FV = 6.5 MJ
Eff = 0.45

Maximum thermal output is ~ 18 MW. Overall power efficiency is 90%

What about the large reactor? 50 MW?

New large reactor
MW = 70 MW
FV = 6.5 MJ
Eff = 0.45

Maximum thermal output is ~ 50 MW. Overall power efficiency is 71%! This is much less than the small reactor. However this is the price you pay for asymptotic behavior. There is always a maximum thermal output for each FV and Eff. The MW value simply pushes one closer to this value asymptotically.

Regarding exploitation, the reactor fuel can be removed and added to the reactor using inserters. Indeed, the reactor can be run with any fuel not just reactor fuel. One simply has to use inserters. If you can prevent insertions or removal of fuel from the reactor then this will prevent using the reactor as a way to generate infinite supply of fuel for use else where or using the reactor as a way to incinerate other fuel without producing pollution. Furthermore, reactor fuel should be destroyed when the reactor is mine instead of being drop into the player's inventory.

I'm including the changes to the lua for your benefit.
fission-reactor-entity.lua
Item.lua
Last edited by Fatmice on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Liquius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Liquius »

Thanks for the detailed post.
Fatmice wrote:In MP, it will complain that there isn't 1 player when placing the reactor. It will crash the game if you click "OK." If you hit Esc, game resumes, but no chest will spawn. So MP is still not working.
That's good to know, it should simple to fix.

Now about the reactors...
Regarding exploitation, the reactor fuel can be removed and added to the reactor using inserters. Indeed, the reactor can be run with any fuel not just reactor fuel. One simply has to use inserters. If you can prevent insertions or removal of fuel from the reactor then this will prevent using the reactor as a way to generate infinite supply of fuel for use else where or using the reactor as a way to incinerate other fuel without producing pollution. Furthermore, reactor fuel should be destroyed when the reactor is mine instead of being drop into the player's inventory.
Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to block inserters, but the others should be doable.

The other thing to consider is the fuel value. I kept it low as rounding issues could start becoming a pain, you would get cases when adding a fuel assembly did nothing, and other times make a big difference. I guess I just need to save the remainder for the next event.

I will have a bash at it tomorrow and hope I can finish before I the urge to redesign takes over.

Talon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Talon »

Google Translate

Hello.
I can no uranium hexafluoride create 0.7%.
Yellowcake and Fuorinegas is present but it can not continue processing.

Am I doing something wrong?
I can not find the recipe.
Attachments
NoWork.jpg
NoWork.jpg (103.74 KiB) Viewed 9816 times

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Basic "Uranium Hexafloride" is the 0.7% recipe.
It just doesn't have consistent labeling (for some reason).
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Liquius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Liquius »

Talon wrote:Google Translate

Hello.
I can no uranium hexafluoride create 0.7%.
Yellowcake and Fuorinegas is present but it can not continue processing.

Am I doing something wrong?
I can not find the recipe.
You have an outdated version.

It should work with this.
https://github.com/Liquius/UraniumPower ... p?raw=true

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Liquius wrote:
The other thing to consider is the fuel value. I kept it low as rounding issues could start becoming a pain, you would get cases when adding a fuel assembly did nothing, and other times make a big difference. I guess I just need to save the remainder for the next event.

I will have a bash at it tomorrow and hope I can finish before I the urge to redesign takes over.
I hope you did not misunderstand me. The fuel value here is not the fuel value in control.lua. The fuel value I'm talking about is the energy content of the reactor fuel itself. There is no going around it if you are using a boiler prototype. You can avoid rounding issues by using fuel value that is a multiple of the rated MW value (energy_consumption). However, I've not encountered any anomalous behavior to do with rounding. Would you care to elaborate?

If the boiler can't accept more fuel due to stack size limitation, then I suppose you simply don't add fuel if the current stack size is max. Wait until the fuel has been consumed enough such that fuelCount can be added as a whole. This has the added benefit that your script will go to sleep until stack size decreased enough.

Using boiler prototype has unique advantages! You can simply chain them together if you need more thermal output. You can not do the same, I don't think, if you were to use an assembler prototype.

There is another prototype that might work and that is the laboratory. However, it is much more hackey than the boiler prototype.

Talon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Talon »

Google Translate

Hö, I have the link on page 9 used yesterday.
It was 0.4.0 and now it is 0.4.2

I now have 0.4.2 and it does not work.
The symbol of the picture on page 9 is not there.

This intermediate step is missing.

So much pleasure to the mod and it does not work. :(
Attachments
001.jpg
001.jpg (23.17 KiB) Viewed 9797 times

Liquius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Liquius »

Fatmice wrote:I hope you did not misunderstand me. The fuel value here is not the fuel value in control.lua. The fuel value I'm talking about is the energy content of the reactor fuel itself. There is no going around it if you are using a boiler prototype. You can avoid rounding issues by using fuel value that is a multiple of the rated MW value (energy_consumption). However, I've not encountered any anomalous behavior to do with rounding. Would you care to elaborate?
Fuel assemblies have a fuel value. The quantity of fuel inserted into the boiler is the sum of all the fuel assemblies (or fuel values) in the chest. Another way of looking at it is that this fuel assembly adds X amount of fuel a few times a second.

Increasing the solid fuel value means decreasing the fuel assembly value. That means fuel assemblies can be worth a fraction of 1. No the problem comes if you have 3 fuel assemblies with a value of 0.3. Adding 3 won't change anything, but the 4th will make a big difference.

I could reduce the quantity of fuel assemblies, but that will hinder me when I get onto fuel degrading and reprocessing. Or I could just keep track of the remainder.

Liquius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Liquius »

Talon wrote:Google Translate

Hö, I have the link on page 9 used yesterday.
It was 0.4.0 and now it is 0.4.2

I now have 0.4.2 and it does not work.
The symbol of the picture on page 9 is not there.

This intermediate step is missing.

So much pleasure to the mod and it does not work. :(
Sorry I forgot to add that you will want to type this.
/c game.player.force.resettechnologies()

TehRaven
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TehRaven »

I'm not getting enough fluid into my steam engines. A few aren't operating. I need insight please. This mod has great potential but... So here is a screenshot.
Attachments
factorio screenshot jpg.jpg
factorio screenshot jpg.jpg (534.2 KiB) Viewed 9791 times

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Liquius wrote: Fuel assemblies have a fuel value. The quantity of fuel inserted into the boiler is the sum of all the fuel assemblies (or fuel values) in the chest. Another way of looking at it is that this fuel assembly adds X amount of fuel a few times a second.

Increasing the solid fuel value means decreasing the fuel assembly value. That means fuel assemblies can be worth a fraction of 1. No the problem comes if you have 3 fuel assemblies with a value of 0.3. Adding 3 won't change anything, but the 4th will make a big difference.

I could reduce the quantity of fuel assemblies, but that will hinder me when I get onto fuel degrading and reprocessing. Or I could just keep track of the remainder.
I see where you are coming from, but I still do not understand what this has anything to do with further development.....

Changing the energy content of the reactor fuel simply inflates or deflate the power value of the fuel assembly. You can still keep the fuelAssemblyValueXX as they are, no reason to change them, unless you already have some sort of degrading the fuel assembly in mind?

Given the current fuel assembly 4.7% has a value of 5, if as you said the assembly has an energy value, then it would be 5 x 6.5 MJ = 32.5 MJ ( using my modifications). Since you add reactor fuel 2x a second, the "power" of a 4.7% assembly is 65 MW. The power of a 1.7% assembly is 6.5 MW.

In my case, I only need 3x4.7% fuel assemblies in order to provide enough reactor fuel to run even the large reactor. That is what I did to give you the modification numbers.

Suppose you are going about a fuel assembly degrading scheme, even then you do not need to change fuelAssemblyValueXX to correspond to the energy content of the reactor fuel. I would imagine you can simply degrade the fuel assembly by going down the fuelAssemblyValueXX. So say you keep a history for each fuel assembly A, B, C, and for the sake of this they are 4.7% assemblies. Each 4.7% assemblies can give fuel a number of times (say 200000x) before degrading to one type below it, namely 4.2% assemblies. So while A,B,C are fresh and not given fuel 200000x, the fuel added every second is 15 units of reactor fuel. On the 200001st addition, A,B,C will add only 13 units of reactor fuel per second. You can go on to add similar logic for the other assemblies.

Now my concern is actually with this bit of code (if you are going to track the history of fuel assembly)

Code: Select all

if fuelCount >=1 then
					LReactorAndChest[1].insert({name = "fission-reactor-fuel", count = fuelCount})
				end
The insert will not insert the full amount of fuelCount if fuelCount+current_stack_size > stack_size of the reactor fuel. If the history of the fuel assembly is tracked, then the fuel contribution from such assembly might have not been fully utilized.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

TehRaven wrote:I'm not getting enough fluid into my steam engines. A few aren't operating. I need insight please. This mod has great potential but... So here is a screenshot.
The large reactor, as of version 0.4.2, can not support more than 5.4 MW of generation. From your picture, I see you want to generate 11 MW of power. You won't get there.

You can chain 3 large reactors together to support 11 MW of generation. You will need more pumps though, 3 offshore pumps to be sure.

Return to “Atomic Power”