Power generation with atoms.

Moderator: Fatmice

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.x] Uranium Power

Post by Fatmice »

Hello all,

Since Liquius bowed out due to time constraints, I and a friend have stepped in to continue development of this mod. This post will served as a continuation of Liquius' first post. All future announcements will be linked back to this post.

Ideas, plans, and thoughts for the mod.

Current version: 0.5.3 -> Download

Example build updated to 0.5.3 -> Download
Description of build
Overview of base
Closeup of the reactor build
Production and enrichment chains
Current work will be here.
https://github.com/Fatmice/Uranium-Power-Cont

Past releases have been archived to here.
https://github.com/Fatmice/UraniumPower
---------------------------------
Version History
0.5.3_01 - Feb 16, 2015
0.5.3 - Feb 16, 2015
0.5.2 - Feb 2, 2015
---------------------------------
Archived Releases
0.5.2 - Feb 2, 2015
Last edited by Fatmice on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:26 am, edited 10 times in total.
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Hello all,

A small status update as to what is going on. I'm working on 0.5.3. It is almost done. I just need to work on graphics.

Changes to be expected in 0.5.3.
  • Reactor fuel is deprecated. It is no longer needed nor required. However, until fuel_inventory_size = 0 is allowed, I can not eliminate the insertion of "stuff" into the reactor building. Simply use an inserter to remove the fuel from the reactor building or remove the fuel assemblies and allow the fuel to be consumed before replacing them back to the reactor chest.
  • Reactors will get energy injected directly into their energy buffers. The amount of energy is proportional to the amount of fuel-assemblies and their types. For now, nothing needs to be done by the users. Your reactors should function just like normal. In the near future though, when I implement fuel decay (0.5.4), you will need to figure how to balance the fuel-assemblies.
  • Reactor heat output are now hard coded and capped. The energy_consumption also increased 72 MW and 140 MW for 3by3 and 5by5, respectively.
  • MW(heat) -> MW(electric) will depend on the fluid used in the reactor. 20% conversion for water, and 35% for pressurized-water. There is no change to the MW(electric) after conversion if you are using pressurized-water so you will get 25 MW and 50 MW from 3by3 or 5by5, respectively.
  • A new heat exchanger is available. It is based on an assembly-prototype. It is 100% efficient since I already accounted for the Rankine cycle in the reactor. You only need this building if you are doing a closed primary loop. It is highly advisable to use this building if you are using pressurized-water. Two versions of this building will be available, one for the 3by3 and one for 5by5 reactors. Depending on the fluid, the heat exchanger will provide enough heat for either 10 or 20 steam-generators. These heat exchangers will consume less game ticks than the current heat exchanger.
  • The current heat exchanger will get a new graphic and will still be available for use. I plan on leaving it in for posterity.
I expect a release some time this week. :)

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Fatmice wrote:pressurized-water
Would I be correct in assuming this will be introduced by this mod? Unless one of the recent updates added it I am unaware of any 'pressurized-water'.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

MasterBuilder wrote: Would I be correct in assuming this will be introduced by this mod? Unless one of the recent updates added it I am unaware of any 'pressurized-water'.
Hi, it's already in 0.5.2. It was introduced back in 0.5.0 by Liquius. It is made in the pump-like building by transforming in 1:1 ratio of water to pressurized-water.

SKleen75
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SKleen75 »

Hi.
I cant get the heat exchanger to work. The water on one side has 300 degrees, the water on the other side stays at 15 degrees.
What do i possibly wrong?

Greedings
SKleen75
YuokiTani Fanboy.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

SKleen75 wrote:Hi.
I cant get the heat exchanger to work. The water on one side has 300 degrees, the water on the other side stays at 15 degrees.
What do i possibly wrong?
In order for the exchange to really work you have to alternate directions past them, i.e.:
------>
XXXXX
<-----
Running both in the same direction will not work as you think and will actually 'balance' the temp between the two liquids.

If the exchangers aren't actually doing anything you could try removing and placing them again. (This has worked for me.)
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Liquius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Liquius »

MasterBuilder wrote:In order for the exchange to really work you have to alternate directions past them, i.e.:
------>
XXXXX
<-----
This is incorrect. With the current implementation a heat exchanger will average the temperature between the two pipes every tick. It only takes into account the quantity and heat capacity of the fluid.
If the exchangers aren't actually doing anything you could try removing and placing them again. (This has worked for me.)
This is correct. If it stops working for any reason, replacing it should always work.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Liquius wrote:This is incorrect. With the current implementation a heat exchanger will average the temperature between the two pipes every tick. It only takes into account the quantity and heat capacity of the fluid.
Lets say we have water in two pipes, This would be the result with a long enough exchange. ('X' being the exchanger)
0----------->50
XXXXXXXXXXXX
100--------->50
If they both flow in the same direction then they are going to even out.

If you alternate them you get this:
0<-----50-----100
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
0------50---->100

(In practice you won't actually lose that much heat but I'm just trying to demonstrate the principal here.)

I may not have been succinct in my original statement but is this wrong?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Counterflow is the only way to get the entering cold fluid to equal in temperature to the entering hotfluid. This is how it works in real life and is how the code emulates.

Since heat will no longer flow between fluid of the same temperature, when you have both fluids flowing in the same direction and at the same velocity, they will end up with half the amount of heat or [(V1 * temp1) + (V2 * temp2)] / (V1 + V2) because the "packet" of fluids are the same. In order to achieve close to the same temperature as counterflow, the hotfluid will need to flow at least 2x faster than the coldfluid as this allows the coldfluid to sample hotter "packets" of fluid.

Code: Select all

Hotfluid -> Fast pump ->    100----------50<T<100 => return to hot source
                               XXXXXXXXXX
Coldfluid -> Normal pump -> 15-----------50<T<100 => to power production

SKleen75
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SKleen75 »

Hi.
I dont get it.

I have pressurized water coming from the reactor wir 300 degrees and i have pressurized water running from pumps along the heat exchangers to the steam machines with 15 degrees.

It flows in alternate directions but all that happens is that the waterflow drops.

Greedings
SKleen75
Attachments
Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG (259.38 KiB) Viewed 11881 times
YuokiTani Fanboy.

Liquius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Liquius »

I dont get it.

I have pressurized water coming from the reactor wir 300 degrees and i have pressurized water running from pumps along the heat exchangers to the steam machines with 15 degrees.

It flows in alternate directions but all that happens is that the waterflow drops.

Greedings
SKleen75
I am guessing that those pipes are not vanilla pipes. Currently the heat exchangers only work with vanilla pipes.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

I dont get it.

Greedings
SKleen75
In order for the closed loop to work it can't be completely filled with water. I don't know how much you have in there but I would suggest you pipe the return from the reactor into a tank and out from that into the reactor. Fill the tank 1/2 way and it should continuously flow.
If there isn't enough water that will also cause issues.
(Make sure you're using fast pumps. You may also require a chain of them pumping from the tank into the reactor.)

EDIT: And as Liquius says, use vanilla pipes.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

I dont get it.

Greedings
SKleen75
Hi, your image shows the pipes you used at the heat exchangers are not vanilla pipes. As others have said, the heat exchangers only work with vanilla pipes. Try to change the pipes adjacent to the heat exchanger to vanilla pipes, break and replace the heat exchangers to see if that solves your issue. The new heat exchanger that I'm introducing in 0.5.3 will be compatible with all pipes, including modded ones.

Second possible source for your problem is that the closed loop can not be completely full. Factorio fluid simulation is like a bunch of chests where a pipe is just a chest. The fluid is moved from chest to chest so when the chests are full, very little, if anything at all, will be moved. If your system is working, you will see that the heat output by the heat exchangers will decrease as the closed loop gets more full. You can fine tune the amount of fluid in your close loop by having a storage tank as part of the loop. A storage tank is simply a pipe(chest) with a large capacity and allows the fluids to be sloshed around more easily.

Third, you mention that your water flow dropped, but I am unclear if you meant the flow in the closed loop or the open loop leading to your steam-engines. In the case of water flow dropped in the closed loop, this can be caused by the pump that is pushing fluid back into the reactor building. Just remove this pump and water level should return to the pipes. What a pump does is to try to get all of the liquid behind it and dump them to the front. This artificially causes a waterflow issue that you might be seeing. In the case of water flow dropped in the open loop, this can be caused by your steam-generators consuming fluid that has no heat, i.e. fluid at their default_temperature, which in your case for pressurized-water is 25C. The more heat the fluid has, the less of it is consumed by the steam-engines.

If you get your system working, you can further optimize by minimizing the amount of above ground pipe leading to the heat exchangers. You may not know this but the amount of fluid that can travel through X amount of pipe is inversely related to that number. This means the longer your pipes, the less amount of fluid that can transported. You can mitigate this with pumps, but only up to a point. A set of underground pipes (going down and going up) counts as one pipe. So by minimizing the pipes, you maximize the available throughput of the liquid and therefore amount of heat that can be exchanged by the heat exchangers.

I suggest you take a look at the example build that I've provided before attempting to build your own. The example build has all that you need to enjoy the mod without experiencing the major pitfalls.

SKleen75
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SKleen75 »

Hi.

Thanks a lot. Now it´s working. :)

Yes. The modded pipes were the main reason for the failure.

Thank you for your help.

Greedings
SKleen75
YuokiTani Fanboy.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Hello all,

0.5.3 is released after much work. See release notes for more details. Next release will focus on introducing two new buildings, reactor recirculation pump and turbine generator building. These two are sorely needed to deal with fluid throughput problems as well as the shear number of steam-engines used to generate power. Please download the example build to check out the new heat exchangers. Let me know about MP issues if they occur and I'll see what to do about them.
new-heat-exchangers.jpg
new-heat-exchangers.jpg (382.31 KiB) Viewed 11640 times

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Fatmice wrote:0.5.3 is released
A few issues/questions:
Upgrading from 5.2 and I got an error in control.lua on 288, "Attempt to perform arithmetic on field '?' (nil value)".
(Esc closes it; I removed all replaced all reactors and heat exchangers and all seems to be working. (No error on load after this.))

Migrations seem to be missing the "Big (R) Exchanger":

-- Enabled new building and recipes
for index, force in pairs(game.forces) do
	if force.technologies["sulfur-processing"].researched then
		force.recipes["S-new-heat-exchanger-01"].enabled = true
		force.recipes["R-new-heat-exchanger-01"].enabled = true
		force.recipes["S-new-heat-exchanger-02"].enabled = true
		force.recipes["heat-exchange-water-water-01"].enabled = true
		force.recipes["heat-exchange-pressurised-water-water-01"].enabled = true
		force.recipes["heat-exchange-water-water-02"].enabled = true
		force.recipes["heat-exchange-pressurised-water-water-02"].enabled = true
	end
end
"R-new-heat-exchanger-02" is missing.
(Technology.lua includes all 4 and you show them in your screenshot so I'm assuming this is a mistake.)

The new exchangers also seems to want a mix of pressurized and regular water but I've been building my layout with only pressurized water. Which loop (open/closed) are you not pressurizing? Can the new exchangers be done with pressurized water only? (I could DL your example build but I'm lazy and like to figure out/build things myself.)

Your new [planned] buildings intrigue me. I look forward to fiddling with them.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

MasterBuilder wrote: A few issues/questions:
Upgrading from 5.2 and I got an error in control.lua on 288, "Attempt to perform arithmetic on field '?' (nil value)".
(Esc closes it; I removed all replaced all reactors and heat exchangers and all seems to be working. (No error on load after this.))
Yes, this error is due to a new array index added to table LReactorandChest. For some reason, some old save will not initialize the new index of all entries in the table. I do not know why. Hitting Esc and break the reactor and its chest and replacing them as you have done should fix the problem.

I used this code to initialize the new index in migration script 0.5.2.lua

-- Initialize a new row in old reactors
if glob.LReactorAndChest ~= nil then
	for k,LReactorandChest in pairs(glob.LReactorAndChest) do
		if LReactorandChest[5] == nil then
			LReactorandChest[5] = 0
		end
	end
end
MasterBuilder wrote: Migrations seem to be missing the "Big (R) Exchanger":

-- Enabled new building and recipes
for index, force in pairs(game.forces) do
	if force.technologies["sulfur-processing"].researched then
		force.recipes["S-new-heat-exchanger-01"].enabled = true
		force.recipes["R-new-heat-exchanger-01"].enabled = true
		force.recipes["S-new-heat-exchanger-02"].enabled = true
		force.recipes["heat-exchange-water-water-01"].enabled = true
		force.recipes["heat-exchange-pressurised-water-water-01"].enabled = true
		force.recipes["heat-exchange-water-water-02"].enabled = true
		force.recipes["heat-exchange-pressurised-water-water-02"].enabled = true
	end
end
"R-new-heat-exchanger-02" is missing.
(Technology.lua includes all 4 and you show them in your screenshot so I'm assuming this is a mistake.)
It is a mistake :roll: . Fixed in 0.5.3.1
MasterBuilder wrote: The new exchangers also seems to want a mix of pressurized and regular water but I've been building my layout with only pressurized water. Which loop (open/closed) are you not pressurizing? Can the new exchangers be done with pressurized water only? (I could DL your example build but I'm lazy and like to figure out/build things myself.)

Your new [planned] buildings intrigue me. I look forward to fiddling with them.
As I understand it, pressurized water is only used in the primary loop that is removing heat from the reactor core. This water is held at ~10.5 MPa (~800 psi). The secondary loop (open loop) is not pressurized to this extend. Of course it is under pressure, but only enough to enter the steam generators, about 200 psi. As such, I reduced the system to pressurized-water/water. However, no harm in having another recipe for pressurized-water/pressurized-water. You should know that using pressurized-water in the secondary loop will cost more upkeep power. I have not tested the pressurized-water/pressurized-water heat exchanged so hopefully it is not OP. ;)

Fix for 0.5.3 will be up shortly.
Last edited by Fatmice on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Hello all,

I've incorporated fixes for 0.5.3. New download and release notes here.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

This mod looks great. It looks a bit complex but hopfully overtime I will figure it out.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Kane wrote:This mod looks great. It looks a bit complex but hopfully overtime I will figure it out.
Thanks. :) Hope you like the mod.

I just tested the current release against 0.11.16, nothing is out of the ordinary and so I expect it to be compatible. Please report if you encounter problems!

Return to “Atomic Power”