MoMods: CoreMod Downloads

Some mods covering weather, texture packs, transport, wind-turbine, reactor, interesting weapons and defense.

Moderator: ludsoe

QuiglezGaming
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.X] MoMods: Nuclear Power Go?

Post by QuiglezGaming »

Hey so i am using this mod, for the longest time i was using regular old walls, lame as hell, i know... i recently tore down my entire setup to rebuild a bit more efficiently, i am now using force fields. i am having a problem where at night they tend to shut off due to running out of energy... i have got over 2.4k solar panels and 6.7k accumulators. i use about 10% of my total accumulated power at night, but the force field posts don't draw any power from the accumulators... so at night they all shut off. i have had to revert to using backup steam engines during the night to prevent biters from eating my new factory...

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ludsoe »

QuiglezGamings Quote
Working on a fix for this right now. Just have to do some testing and what not.
Webbers big Quote
The nuclear reactor is still WIP and as such still has some balancing qwerks, Secondly the reactor itself doesn't generate energy it produces super heated steam which you pipe to your steam engines. That aside Ill look into balancing it a little more soon. As for the force fields Ill dig into their lua script and try to fix some of those problems.

QuiglezGaming
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by QuiglezGaming »

ludsoe wrote:
QuiglezGamings Quote
Working on a fix for this right now. Just have to do some testing and what not.
Webbers big Quote
The nuclear reactor is still WIP and as such still has some balancing qwerks, Secondly the reactor itself doesn't generate energy it produces super heated steam which you pipe to your steam engines. That aside Ill look into balancing it a little more soon. As for the force fields Ill dig into their lua script and try to fix some of those problems.
its greatly appreciated.

Alex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Alex »

Great work! Super mod pack!

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Combat roboports built by robots are ignored by the game.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ludsoe »

Sorry for the wait on a update for this. (I've been doing lots of tweaks and changes and balancing testing. (And testing in multiplayer.))

I have a multiplayer friendly beta pack you guys can get. The versioning on this pack is hot though, I push updates to it everytime I test new features/balance.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/4vlka ... tiPack.zip
As of now it contains....
Mods
Just extract the folders from the zip to where you normally install mods. (I prefer to stick them in the factorio/data folder as the game doesn't whine if the folder name doesn't match the version.) ((I should change my versioning program eventually to make installing these mods easier.))

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ludsoe »

Alright pushing the current experimental builds into the stable downloads. Didn't get as much as i wanted done, but I also want to have the stable builds progress a little. Ill list the changes i can remember right off the top of my head. :?

MoLogicCore
Not many changes here. The most noticeable change is the inclusion of a function reference with some info on the functions included and their inputs.

MoCombat
Added Depleted Uranium rounds.

MoPower
Changed the Advanced accumulator into the Octo Accumulator, to avoid mod conflicts.
Nerfed Nuclear reactor a little.

MoTransport
Changed the boat so it runs over fish easier.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.X] MoMods: Rounding it Out

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

Can you name your zips like this https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=5364, please? With every new release I must rename the zip file to match versions number.

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ludsoe »

SuperSandro2000 wrote:Can you name your zips like this https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=5364, please? With every new release I must rename the zip file to match versions number.
Ill reconfigure my publishing app for the next update then. I haven't done the renaming thing because of the way i publish and track my downloads. I could probably get away by having the properly named zip inside another zip i can track.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

ludsoe wrote:
SuperSandro2000 wrote:Can you name your zips like this https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=5364, please? With every new release I must rename the zip file to match versions number.
Ill reconfigure my publishing app for the next update then. I haven't done the renaming thing because of the way i publish and track my downloads. I could probably get away by having the properly named zip inside another zip i can track.
nuclear power in work? and building>?

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

Quick question: How powerful is the Nuclear Reactor?

I was testing just what it could do and set up ~450 vanilla Steam Engines and many, many, MANY, modded mines that use up to 1.1MW each. I wasn't producing enough power, but they steam engines were going as hard as they could. So I pretty much doubled it. I'm now producing enough power, but the steam engines STILL have room to grow.

How many steam engines can you "power" (fuel?) with just one reactor? I also don't think that you use fuel quickly enough with the reactor as it barely goes down in a low-use environment. I ran a reactor > steam engine setup that was producing around 70MW for about 10 hours and the uranium ore in the chest had gone down three pieces. I did have the waste being regurgitated into ore, but still.

Otherwise: love the simplicity and the epicness of this mod!

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ludsoe »

Blizz Quote
Glad you like MoPower. Ive tested up to 700 steam engines on a single reactor, which ill agree is way too many. As for the fuel usage Ill see what i can do.

Also Welcome the official release of Mo-industry. (It kinda leaked while i was tweaking my publishing software.)
It brings extended bot research, Logistics Coverage extenders, Place-able bricks! Yeah you heard right it changes bricks so you can place them like walls. However they only block items. So use them on belts to cheaply block items from going down a side.

Also pushing the experimental Branch into stable again. (I should keep a change log while I update the experimental builds.)

Finally I'm Releasing my own texture pack! Don't expect me to get anything big done but ill attempt to improve icons of some items.
Currently Only reskins and renames the first 3 science packs. Renames only effect English locales.
Texture Pack Details

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

ludsoe wrote:
Blizz Quote
Glad you like MoPower. Ive tested up to 700 steam engines on a single reactor, which ill agree is way too many. As for the fuel usage Ill see what i can do.

Also Welcome the official release of Mo-industry. (It kinda leaked while i was tweaking my publishing software.)
It brings extended bot research, Logistics Coverage extenders, Place-able bricks! Yeah you heard right it changes bricks so you can place them like walls. However they only block items. So use them on belts to cheaply block items from going down a side.
-snip-
I guess just turn up the fuel usage until fuel actually gets used at a reasonable rate?
As for the number of steam engines... I think you'd struggle with getting the water to them with pressure before anything else becomes an issue. The "buffer bar" was a little all over the place with 876 of them. Perhaps you should include some sort of upgraded steam engine that can handle a significant amount more fluid so that you don't end up with steam engine farms that are bigger than most peoples' bases? I'm attempting to mod that in for myself just now, but we shall see how that goes!

As for MoIndustry.... I've already found and installed it! Haha! That logistic robot speed is incredible! Great for huge bases. Or bases with Roboports all the way along the train lines that span many hundreds - if not thousands - of blocks.

Great work!

EDIT: How exactly does the temperature > steam engine ratio work? With the 876 steam, the lowest temp I see is 551 when pulling about 430MW from them. The temp at the reactor's output is 556, so that's not a very big difference.

EDIT 2: You seem to have updated the mod to work very differently already. I'm now only getting a temperature of 180 straight out of the reactor. It's also not flowing anywhere near as fast as it used to as you've changed the recipe from 240 water to 90 water. I'm now getting a much more reasonable looking reactor, I think - though I've not tested it's full potential.

EDIT 3: Yeah... You've made them very different now; crafting of the output of the reactor is significantly slower and yields less fluid. I've modded in some steam engines that use 5 times more water and produce 5 times more power (so basically five steam engines in one) and there's just nowhere near enough flow to keep 240 of them going (that'd be equivalent to 1200 of the normal steam engines). Admittedly, that's a hefty power supply to be using, but the flow rate is a severe issue. It should be that there's not enough energy left in the fluid to keep all of the engines running and not that it's not "crafting" enough before it's used.

I'm going to play around with your code, see if I can figure out how it works and then play around until I get something that I think is reasonable. I'm aiming for 100-200MW from one reactor as I'd like to use more than one for a really large base, but in anything remotely normal, get away with just one.

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ludsoe »

Gigantic Quote
Id like to see what you changed to get to get the power output to where you want. It could save me time that i could shift towards making new content and bug fixes.

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

ludsoe wrote:
Gigantic Quote
Id like to see what you changed to get to get the power output to where you want. It could save me time that i could shift towards making new content and bug fixes.
Sure. Here's a copy of the mod (it's in very early testing stages at the moment and so doesn't really work very well). You'll have to reset recipes (or tech?) to see the items in-game as I've not sorted the research out yet.
If you check the prototypes/entity/steamengines.lua file you'll see what I've changed there. If I remember correctly, all I've changed to increase power but keep the same efficiency is to up the "fluid_usage_per_tick" amount. 0.1 is default, I've set that to 0.5 so that I produce ~2.5MW from one engine and I've set a tier 3 version to 2 and that produces ~10MW from one engine. It's mildly amusing setting up 28 boilers all feeding into one engine and it working perfectly producing 10MW. The game also seems to be able to calculate correctly and displays in the info box what it'll produce.
Note: I've been working from the folder and haven't tested it zipped - it should work, but it might not. If it doesn't, inzip it and rename the folder to ExtendedBase_0.0.1
Attachments
ExtendedBase_0.0.1.zip
(12.35 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.X] MoMods: MoIndustry Offical Release

Post by xBlizzDevious »

Aaaaaahhh! I've just figured something out about your mod!

I never realised that the water coming out of the reactor was actually steam. I thought it was just water at a high temperature. Now I see that you've added in a fluid (steam) and given it a heat capacity of 1MJ - which I think is why your reactor is producing enough fluid to produce a LOT of energy, but not producing enough of it that it's running out of pressure/quantity before it loses any energy. I'm playing with numbers now to see what happens.

EDIT: Ok... I give up. I can't remember how to do the physics, I don't know your mod and I don't know Factorio well enough to figure this out. What I want to do, is set the system up so that the reactor can supply 300 steam engines without issue, but any more and you start to run below the optimal temperature. Sorry for trying to tell you how your mod should work, but it doesn't seem right how it is. I'm using 0.1.988 of MoPower.

For (what I think is) a reasonable balance...
So, you know how 1 pump, 14 boilers and 10 steam engines is optimal for a normal setup? That yields ~5.1MW.
I think your reactor should be able to power around 300 steam engines (or the equivalent of) which should be ~153MW. I'm not sure of how many pumps you'd need, but I guess a few - though I guess that's governed by how much water the recipe needs and how much the pumps provide.
For fuel usage, I think the reactor should consume the equivalent of one uranium ore every minute while running at full power.
The recipe in the reactor should provide just the right amount of fluid with just the right properties to power said 300 engines so that as it runs out of output fluid, the crafting recipe is done so that the engines never run out.
I'm not sure how to control the specific heat capacity of the fluids, or what the "pressure_to_speed_ratio" or the "flow_to_energy_ratio" are, but I guess those have something to do with energy production of the fluid.

I'd like to hear what you think of my suggestions and if you like them, good luck implementing!

Another quick suggestion - a use for the (currently) useless "depleted uranium": a new "breeder" recipe for a reactor that doesn't produce much (if any) power, uses fluid to keep cool, perhaps, but turns said depleted uranium back into some sort of usable form. Numbers for both "depleted uranium" and "nuclear waste" should be set so that you can't have an infinite loop of fuel for your reactor so that you do still have to go mining for more uranium.

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ludsoe »

Mocombat turns depleted uranium into heavy armor piercing rounds. But i can add some uses native to mopower. As for balancing the nuclear reactors Ill setup a test scenerio later and fiddle around with the balance. Ill aim for what you suggested, that sounds like a balanced setup.

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

ludsoe wrote:Mocombat turns depleted uranium into heavy armor piercing rounds. But i can add some uses native to mopower. As for balancing the nuclear reactors Ill setup a test scenerio later and fiddle around with the balance. Ill aim for what you suggested, that sounds like a balanced setup.
Sweet. Good luck with your testing and tweaking! I was unaware of the MoCombat use for depleted uranium, but then I don't use it - I'm only using MoPower and MoIndustry. I think a native use for MoPower would be quite useful as otherwise, it's waste resources that have to sit and fill up chests.

Vitduo
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vitduo »

The Ukrainian translate is updated - now in my dropbox foder. v

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ludsoe »

This update addresses some bugs/balance problems.

MoLogicCore:
Fixed Print function included in debug/misc modules.
Fixed a problem with bot entity's being by placed by bots not detected properly.
Included compound entity support. Basically its a set of functions that allow people to easily create their own entities such as the thermal power plant in mopower.

MoPower:
Rebalanced nuclear plants to only generate 150mj at peak capacity. (Around 250-300 engines.)
Converted thermal power plants to use the new compound entity code included in mologiccore.

MoWeather:
Changed the rain sound loop to a ambient sound that follows the player.

Return to “MoMods”