Configuration & usage

The raillayer; must have, if you want to play with railway.

Moderator: Choumiko

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Configuration & usage

Post by Choumiko »

Rubicj wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:27 am
Any plans for .17? This mod is one of my required mods for starting a new save, it makes Factorio so much better.
Expect a minimal update today (just to get it running again)

Gecko
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Gecko »

I'm using F.A.R.L. since my early Factorio days. I know how to lay Solar farms and bot-based factory strips with it. So i thought I know my way around.

Right now, I think my F.A.R.L. got a little confused.
TLDR seems directional is still a thing

EDIT(1): Well, that was certainly an interesting one. When I was making the blueprints, I (without apparent reason) was rotating them by 180° before feeding them to F.A.R.L. This seems to have caused the described confusion. Upon rotating the blueprint back so that the chain signal would face north, F.A.R.L. knew what to do. I do recall, this was obligatory in a prior version... but there's is nothing about it in the description any more so I simply didn't consider it.

Still my long term #1 mod!
Cheers, Gecko

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

I do some rotation on blueprints before parsing them since a while ago (iirc FARL should even update the blueprint on your cursor after rotating), there might be something wrong. If my example images don't work then it's really bad :D I'm gonna check it out
rebuilding F.A.R.L. (in earlier versions this seemed to clear the saved blueprints)
That was changed 4 years ago (that mod is ancient :lol: )

mtag1990
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mtag1990 »

Having a problem loading the mod in 0.17.14 experimental.

Error while applying migration: Fully Automated Rail Layer: 2017-05-29_FARL_1.0.10.lua

__FARL__/migrations/2017-05-29_FARL_1.0.10.lua:8: attempt to index field 'farl-roboport' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
__FARL__/migrations/2017-05-29_FARL_1.0.10.lua:8: in main chunk

My limited coding knowledge is telling me that farl-roboport needs to be defined in another lua, but not sure.

edit: reinstalling the mod doesn't fix the problem

sarcolopter
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sarcolopter »

Moving power pole to inside tracks gives same error message.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

mtag1990 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:57 pm
Having a problem loading the mod in 0.17.14 experimental.

Error while applying migration: Fully Automated Rail Layer: 2017-05-29_FARL_1.0.10.lua

__FARL__/migrations/2017-05-29_FARL_1.0.10.lua:8: attempt to index field 'farl-roboport' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
__FARL__/migrations/2017-05-29_FARL_1.0.10.lua:8: in main chunk

My limited coding knowledge is telling me that farl-roboport needs to be defined in another lua, but not sure.

edit: reinstalling the mod doesn't fix the problem
Can you upload the save somewhere? Or post a list of the mods you are using? I have a similar report on the portal but i can't reproduce it
sarcolopter wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:20 pm
Moving power pole to inside tracks gives same error message.
You need to create another blueprint for diagonal tracks

mtag1990
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mtag1990 »

Choumiko wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:28 pm
save somewhere? Or post a list of the mods you are using? I have a similar report on the portal but i can't reproduce it
Hey, link for the save is here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2z7up4k0up31d ... d.zip?dl=0

modlist -
Aircraft
AutoTrash
Bottleneck
Explosive Termites
JamozedsTweaks
Logistic Train Network
Squeak Through
YARM
RSO

These 3 are enabled in the save, but mod settings are all disabled.
quickstart
creative-world-plus
creative-mod 1.0.4

Edit: i've been through my save disabling each mod one by one to see if there's a mod conflict - found nothing. Save still doesn't load with only FARL enabled. Loads fine in a new game.
Full modpack also loads in a new game, so must be something in my save that it doesn't like.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Should be fixed in the latest update.
I forgot that FARL has a startup setting that disabled the farl-roboport :oops:

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Gecko wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:48 am
EDIT(1): Well, that was certainly an interesting one. When I was making the blueprints, I (without apparent reason) was rotating them by 180° before feeding them to F.A.R.L. This seems to have caused the described confusion. Upon rotating the blueprint back so that the chain signal would face north, F.A.R.L. knew what to do. I do recall, this was obligatory in a prior version... but there's is nothing about it in the description any more so I simply didn't consider it.

Still my long term #1 mod!
Cheers, Gecko
Should finally be fixed in the latest update (hopefully without breaking something else :D)

madox398
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by madox398 »

It possible to use blueprint in FARL without electric poles? I using Relistic Electric Trains mod so I don't need to use them but FARL can't build Overhead Line Pole which Electric trains use.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

madox398 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:04 am
It possible to use blueprint in FARL without electric poles? I using Relistic Electric Trains mod so I don't need to use them but FARL can't build Overhead Line Pole which Electric trains use.
Since I came in to ask that a little while back, short answer: nope, because the internals are not flexible enough to handle that right now. Choumiko is working on improvements to the code that'd make it possible, though. Right now, can't use FARL for this.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

madox398 wrote:
It possible to use blueprint in FARL without electric poles?
Yes, it still wants an electric pole in the blueprint, but you can turn placement off, once you read the blueprint.
slippycheeze wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:11 pm
Choumiko is working on improvements to the code that'd make it possible, though. Right now, can't use FARL for this.
Not just improvements, started from scratch :D

Regarding RET, iirc the poles are placed like signals and also can act as a signal.
"Old" FARL (old for me, current for you :D ) tries to place poles as far away as possible from the last one, respecting the offset from the rails FARL is driving on.
For RET it should be enough for it to know that these poles are special and need to be positioned like signals, maybe throw in a remote interface to RET that returns me the pole name when i pass it a rail and the desired position and it should work.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Choumiko wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:00 pm
madox398 wrote:
It possible to use blueprint in FARL without electric poles?
Yes, it still wants an electric pole in the blueprint, but you can turn placement off, once you read the blueprint.
slippycheeze wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:11 pm
Choumiko is working on improvements to the code that'd make it possible, though. Right now, can't use FARL for this.
Not just improvements, started from scratch :D

Regarding RET, iirc the poles are placed like signals and also can act as a signal.
"Old" FARL (old for me, current for you :D ) tries to place poles as far away as possible from the last one, respecting the offset from the rails FARL is driving on.
For RET it should be enough for it to know that these poles are special and need to be positioned like signals, maybe throw in a remote interface to RET that returns me the pole name when i pass it a rail and the desired position and it should work.
FWIW, positioning on straight rail is easy: 16 spaces or less. On curves they need to be significantly closer, approximately at the start and end of the curve to straight bit, and then once in every cluster within. ...hopefully it'll be sufficient to do it.

They are signals, though, or at least the placed entity is. The power bits come from the signal bits, not the other way around. (Which makes sense, given they want to attach like signals exclusively.)

Return to “F.A.R.L”