burner inserter empty its own burnt_result slot

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

meifray
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

burner inserter empty its own burnt_result slot

Post by meifray »

TL;DR
just like burner inserter will feed itself with fuel,they should also empty itself!
Why?
I am thinking about burner inserter and their possiblity,
by the help of burnt_result slot,we can make a fuel call battery,and kinda make player have to think a complex inserter setup contain fueling and taking burnt result,
but there`s a problem,burner inserter wont empty itself,
when putting another burner inserter to empty perv inserter only delay problem into this one,and you cannot loop this,because inserter wont take item from another inserter`s hand,
this will eventually lead to halting the mechanism.

the only solution in the game so far is use other inserter that power by fluid/electricity/void,but it just not pure anymore.

other way to solve this is making a special type of inserter that take item from all entity within the redius centerd from where it pick from,but it obviously will be harder then this and somekind overpowered.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: burner inserter empty its own burnt_result slot

Post by ssilk »

I’m sorry but my English is not good enough to understand that. Can anybody translate this into a “readable” article ? :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:05 pm
Can anybody translate this into a “readable” article ? :)
The central idea is that the burner inserter should take burned fuel from the burned fuel result inventory & move it to whatever the inserter is outputting to.

There is a similar behavior with burner inserters fueling themselves from the inventory the burner inserter is taking from.

The next portion of the post discusses possible uses for burnt results in inserters.
The first idea is a fuel called ‘battery’ The burnt result would be called ‘empty battery’ & could be recharged for further use.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Say you have fuel cells filled with hydrogen (red below). The burner inserter picks up a hydrogen fuel cell and runs with it. The burned fuel result of a hydrogen fuel cell is an empty fuel cell (blue below) so now you have an empty fuel cell stuck in the burner inserter. You need to take out the empty fuel cell and refill it. But how?

The inserter doesn't remove the empty fuel cell itself. So you need a second inserter to remove it. But if you only have burner inserters then that inserter runs on fuel cells too. Who removes the empty fuell cell from it? You end up with an endless chain of burner inserters.

The suggestion is that a burner inserter should remove the empty fuel cell if it's destination can accept empty fuel cells (chests, belts, assembler with fuel cell refilling recipe ...).

Apart from self fueling burner inserters (those that pick up their own fuel) a setup could also be something like this:
burner-inserter.png
burner-inserter.png (58.9 KiB) Viewed 960 times
For this to work burner inserter must also be able to place the empty fuell cell in the fuel output slot of another burner inserter. Otherwise a setup like above where one burner inserter fuels another will not work. Only setups where burner inserter fuel themself.

meifray
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by meifray »

ya,just like others say,but I just want to add some picture to demostrate it.
burner_setup.png
burner_setup.png (3.14 MiB) Viewed 943 times
2.png
2.png (3.5 MiB) Viewed 943 times
we can see the first two yellow inserter are regular burner inserter setup,fueling and actually insert item into target entity,
and the red inserter below are "long hand burner inserter",that empty the first two inserter and itself,(they are fueled by leeching from first two inserter),

However this design make the output side mixed with product and used fuel,but it is far from impossible puzzle.

if burner inserter are not emptying itself,the inserter that doing this job will look like this:
3.png
3.png (3.45 MiB) Viewed 943 times
but you can see white inserter at tail of setup will never got chance to empty it`s burnt result slot,
and when the slot full and fuel are burnt out,it will stuck,and lead the green inserter halt,and so on and so forth,
the only way to solve it in vanilla is make the white inserter powered by electricity,but it just not ass fun as burner inserter setup.

and for me,burner inserter have a much complex design than inserter power by steam(fluid) and even heatpipe(Yes,I have tested this,but it seems like not so many people are doing it,maybe it is because it is kinda like burner inserter,but much easier,and also like steam inserter but heatpipe cannot go across building).

I think a high level burner insert must be good at something,but I am yet to know it,yet to find a reason to make player play around burner inserter.

However,there`s one thing:

Board index > Support > Bug Reports > Won't fix.
[1.1.38]inserter do not taking burnt_result from another inserter(viewtopic.php?f=58&t=99793)

so we might not able to get it at all.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”