Forum Suggestion ~ Frequently Suggested

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Forum Suggestion ~ Frequently Suggested

Post by MakeItGraphic »

TLDR

Add subforums of the main topic in Frequently Suggested & Link Collections and make the main topic an annoucement or sticky and have all the other related post below it.

WHAT

The post referenced in viewforum.php?f=80 Frequently Suggested ... lections" topics are in the main queue of Ideas and Suggestions.

It would be a lot more straight forward if the Link Collections aspect of the subforum was made more of foucus where the main post becomes the title of its own subforum, and within said subforum the parent post is made an annoucment and the post related to it can be all found below it.

WHY

- Easier moderation

- Quickly identify duplicates without fussing around search parameters
- Ability to move multiple Ideas/Suggestions to their appropiate subcategory Outdated/Not Implemented or Implemented
- The main forum for suggestions is quite overwhelemed and this would help clean up the forum, and also allow for the indentification of other frequently suggested topics

- User friendly

- Anyone can go in click a subforum in the Frequently Suggested forum and see all the related suggestions to the Annoucment topic.
- There is no need for second guessing, often going through old suggestions you find stuff already linked somewhere and it becomes this tedious back and fourth.
- Less clutter allows less dependancy of the search bar which can often be decieving, I know I've had issues with external vs internal naming conventions to find post which aren't always subject to an average users scope of game knowledge. Along side this language barrier is language itself, people call the same things very different words depending on their culture/native tongue.
Last edited by MakeItGraphic on Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Forum Suggestion ~ Frequently Suggested

Post by ssilk »

Normally I do such stuff with a ticket-system like Jira and this would be the backlog.
(where the product owner pulls things out and refines it together with the developers.)

But I wouldn’t come to the idea to use a forum for that. :) And try to optimize the workflow of this forum so that it can be used as ticket-system. 8-) Tags… Dreaming … :D

And yes, on the long term we plan to clear Frequently Suggested. But we are hobbyists and we need to do it, when we have time and like to do it. Which means, summer is a bad time to sit in front of a computer and sort out 5 year old posts, that are quite unsure to be ever implemented. ;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:16 am
Normally I do such stuff with a ticket-system like Jira and this would be the backlog.
(where the product owner pulls things out and refines it together with the developers.)

But I wouldn’t come to the idea to use a forum for that. :) And try to optimize the workflow of this forum so that it can be used as ticket-system. 8-) Tags… Dreaming … :D

And yes, on the long term we plan to clear Frequently Suggested. But we are hobbyists and we need to do it, when we have time and like to do it. Which means, summer is a bad time to sit in front of a computer and sort out 5 year old posts, that are quite unsure to be ever implemented. ;)
I come from an ITSM/Devops background and honestly workflow was not an issue. Things are either moved so fast, become obsolete, or escalated that we never had many outstanding tickets. Thus no need for such a means for a large hierarchial tree structure for clients.

I am opposite on your feedback, I would however use a forum for this simply because the fact that this is done based on free time. The need for organization increases based on volume and usage/interaction of the product.

So if you have large volume 342x25 or so reports your usage/interaction of reports starts become burried and quickly over run. However if were to create subforums/categories based on key elements of game play and their related suggestions you can split those 8256 topics into a more digestable and interactive format.

For example suggestions that have been there since the dawn of forum, a ton of those have already become modded into the game, right there you can take out a ton of topics with multipile benefits beyond scope of what I've already discussed. It would provide A.) users the ability to go through ideas/suggestions and know theres a mod for it already if i want to try it out B.) based off the downloads of said mod from said ideas/suggestions can help them weigh if it is in fact going to be implemented or not implemented.

The simplest way IMO is to utilize the frequently suggested & link collections forum and bring out its full potential, and just use the parent forum for general unfiled topics, either they dont conform a existing link collection, or again just don't have time, is all good.

However as you start utilizing the frequently suggested & link collections more the easier over time it will become to address, and the more readable it will become.

For example >Frequently Suggested & Link Collections > GUI > Link Collection Announcement/Subsequent Topics > Modded Subforum + Outdated/Not implemented Subforum + Implemented Subforum ... + Subsequent Topics

If the devs implemented a modded idea or suggestion move it to Implemented, if the function becomes outdated move it to not implemented, no different, even if the mod is outdated from the current version the scripts/code still exist and can be updated. And that's a different forum here.
Last edited by MakeItGraphic on Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

You’re right with the most things.
My opinion: Doing all that is not much fun and we are mainly here for fun. It was a lot of work to keep the frequently suggested up to date and brought me to a point where I gave up moderating. I have cleaned up the ticket system at work this week, and I’ve no need to do it in my free time, too. I hope you understand that. You’re really welcome to clean it up if you like to do such kind of tasks.

I mean it without irony. PM me if you want to do something, and we can talk about how to do it and become board-moderator like ickputzdirwech.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:13 am
You’re right with the most things.
My opinion: Doing all that is not much fun and we are mainly here for fun. It was a lot of work to keep the frequently suggested up to date and brought me to a point where I gave up moderating. I have cleaned up the ticket system at work this week, and I’ve no need to do it in my free time, too. I hope you understand that. You’re really welcome to clean it up if you like to do such kind of tasks.

I mean it without irony. PM me if you want to do something, and we can talk about how to do it and become board-moderator like ickputzdirwech.
We have different ideas of fun :P but yeah it's totally understandable considering it is your daily job to do something so similar after arriving home. As of now I work with thousands of people a day, last thing I want to do when i get home is hear/talk to people.

With regards to pming you that seems like a great oppurtunity for contributing to the community that all so provides the ability to achieve a larger knowledge base of the game, and it helps me personally with my physical limitations IRL by providing a sense of purpose.

So yeah I'll do that tomorrow (have to go into work now), I appreciate the offer, and I look forward to hearing your ideas.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”