Go back with rail planner if rails are mined while placing them

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Go back with rail planner if rails are mined while placing them

Post by Honktown »

After placing a rail and clicking the green arrow to place more, regardless of how one places more, if they're mined out, there's no going back.

If an end-piece were mined, it'd be pretty obvious to go back one connected rail at a time. If a rail were mined in the middle of two sections, the best behavior would be to go back in the direction the rail came from (one can mine out separate/disconnected segments in the front). Implementation wise, maybe if someone mines an "in the middle" segment, it goes back one, and when someone mines a piece across a gap, instead of trying to figure out how to move (by finding it is connected "the other way around"), don't move the arrow because it's not within a couple segments of the green arrow piece... or something.

Either way, this is the annoying behavior:
disgusting.jpg
disgusting.jpg (576.68 KiB) Viewed 851 times
I have mods! I guess!
Link

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Go back with rail planner if rails are mined while placing them

Post by ssilk »

Sorry, I don’t understand the core of this problem, perhaps because I nearly always use the rail-planer (dragging the path with shift); I nearly never place single rails. Perhaps you might do that as well, because doing it so this problem doesn’t exist?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

ssilk wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:18 am
Sorry, I don’t understand the core of this problem, perhaps because I nearly always use the rail-planer (dragging the path with shift); I nearly never place single rails. Perhaps you might do that as well, because doing it so this problem doesn’t exist?
If one mis-clicks while holding shift/control then you can end up with way more rails to clean up. I often just want to follow a simple path which I walk along while making, and avoid cliffs / stuff to mine (without or with bots).
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

ssilk wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:18 am
Sorry, I don’t understand the core of this problem,
If you look at the second image, the green arrow starts without any rail before it. It is starting right after where the bend ended when it was placed, even though it was mined later. So if you use rail planner -> make small mistake -> mine one item (without pressing Q) -> the planner still starts at the same place, without moving. So you always have to Q and click on the last placed rail (that wasn't mined) to continue where you left or you are left with a gap.

What should happen: I use rail planner -> I make a mistake -> I mine the last rail that I placed -> the green arrow moves back along the rail, from the end of the recently mined rail to the start of the recently mined rail (back to end of an actually existing rail piece) -> now I can just continue to place rails uninterrupted.

I want to be able to just left click to place and right click to fix mistakes and be ready to left click to place a new rail immediately without doing any other clicks.

I think the rail planner is too fussy, because of issues like these, so I just use prepared blueprints instead.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”