in-game "todo" gui

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Would this be useful?

Yes, Please!
57%
Eh ... interesting idea but ...
22%
Maybe
No votes
I don't think so
22%
This would be bad!
No votes

Total votes: 23

Tr1cKy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

in-game "todo" gui

Post by Tr1cKy »

Often when playing, one can get distracted by events or have "real life" to attend to.

When returning to a big project, I sometimes find I'm not sure what I was busy with or what I wanted to do next. I sometimes found myself wanting to start a Trello board for my games. xD The idea here is to add a GUI element that provides the player with an in-game "todo" list.

When items are achieved in bulk, the item should be autoremoved (or greyed out and autoremoved later) from the list (not sure how this would be implemented).

The list could be as simple as "lasers researched" or "lasers built" - and could even make showing the tech/build path simpler.

With the aforementioned example - in the beginning, if I choose "laser" the actual item, it might automatically show that I have two immediately-available technologies that will be required, and that there are two materials that are required. As soon as the requisite materials have been acquired/made/developed, the list would automatically display the "next" point on the path to actually building the lasers.

Displayed items would be:
currently-available raw/intermediate materials/research packs required - perhaps with a brown "fog"/alpha overlay if it is available but has not ever been created
available research relevant to the goal
And lo He said: "Bring unto Me the
Book of Blueprints
!"

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: in-game "todo" gui

Post by ssilk »

I have always a block of paper and a pen. Much better than any electric todo list I can draw small things on it. I sketch stuff and this connects both half of the brain then most other techniques. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

I'd find it very useful, for example when playing MP. I'd also probably use it in SP, but global MP communication is what this game needs ;)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

psorek wrote:I'd find it very useful, for example when playing MP. I'd also probably use it in SP, but global MP communication is what this game needs ;)
Indeed. I'm not yet sure how good the Console function is for ingame chat in coop MP. But beyond that, some kind of task list shared between all coop players could be good.

And, frankly, I think it might be good to enable players to place Blueprints from the get go, as in from zeroeth second, just so they can plan their bases, even though Construction Robots are many hours away.

Tr1cKy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tr1cKy »

ssilk wrote:I have always a block of paper and a pen. Much better than any electric todo list I can draw small things on it. I sketch stuff and this connects both half of the brain then most other techniques. :)
In my case I typically have my laptop next to my desktop screen. Its useful for quick research/wiki/reading without having to pause or alt+tab. Trello would be interesting for co-operation - but then everyone needs two computers?! For single-player, nothing beats pen and paper. The only downside is that it isn't automated.
Peter34 wrote: Indeed. I'm not yet sure how good the Console function is for ingame chat in coop MP. But beyond that, some kind of task list shared between all coop players could be good.
Good idea! I hadn't even thought about how the GUI might be shared.
Peter34 wrote: And, frankly, I think it might be good to enable players to place Blueprints from the get go, as in from zeroeth second, just so they can plan their bases, even though Construction Robots are many hours away.
Definitely a separate thing - but I like this anyway. If there isn't already a thread for that I'd suggest adding it. ;) That would help a ton with co-operative planning!
And lo He said: "Bring unto Me the
Book of Blueprints
!"

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Tr1cKy wrote:
ssilk wrote:I have always a block of paper and a pen. Much better than any electric todo list I can draw small things on it. I sketch stuff and this connects both half of the brain then most other techniques. :)
In my case I typically have my laptop next to my desktop screen. Its useful for quick research/wiki/reading without having to pause or alt+tab. Trello would be interesting for co-operation - but then everyone needs two computers?! For single-player, nothing beats pen and paper. The only downside is that it isn't automated.
I usually have a second monitor :). So I can do my research etc on the other side (and playing factorio windowed to the max of the first monitor). It is the same as an laptop on one side :).

And for multiplayercommunication I use skype or teamspeak :)

Quis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quis »

I started writing this, and then I found https://mods.factorio.com/mods/JasonMiles/Todo-List

So I started contributing instead (https://github.com/JonasJurczok/factorio-todo-list)

Quis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quis »

Sorry, I didn't read your top post fully.

Maybe https://mods.factorio.com/mods/canidae/auto-research does the other part you're looking for. You can say you want Laser turrets, and it'll go do the research to get you there.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”