Allow buffer chests to buffer deconstructed items

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

dugen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Allow buffer chests to buffer deconstructed items

Post by dugen »

TL;DR
Buffer chests should have a minimum and maximum number like personal logistics, not just a minimum number.
What ?

Between the minimum and maximum numbers, the buffer chests should allow deconstructed items to be stored in the chest by construction robots, but not request the logistics system deliver more.
Why ?
Trying to use buffer chests while prototyping can be frustrating if there is a significant distance between where you are working and where your bots decide to store things.

If I'm far from my main storage, placing items down works as expected but when I try and make changes, the construction bots will start carting all my deconstructed items to oldest available storage chest. Then, as all the construction bots I was just using are wandering off taking my valuable parts with them, I'm left without items and even worse without construction bots as I try and keep going. New construction bots come out but they don't stay either, they also wander off leaving me frustrated and angry. With the items I can simply just use really big buffers to solve the problem, but with the bots, there isn't a way to tell them not to wander away or to tell the network to keep a bunch of bots nearby. I have tried various workarounds by creating buffer chests for each item and then automatically pulling one item out into a storage chest so it becomes a prioritized target but it is slow and tedious to set up, requires configuration for each item making changing configurations quite annoying, and it doesn't even do it right. Because bots take from storage chests first, they keep pulling the item out and there is no way to avoid the time gap when that chest is empty and my construction bots abandon me.

A buffer chest with an unsatisfied request is already a valid target for deconstruction, and I was surprised to find the construction bots seem to even prioritize the closest one which is very cool, but to use that I have to disconnect myself from any other storage or supply chests in the network which can provide those items because if any of those exist the logistics network will schedule a delivery and once the pening deliveries satisfy the request the buffer chest is no-longer a valid target for deconstruction. I'm sure there are challenges in how to add this functionality to the robot network but I think it should be possible and I know it would make buffer chests feel much more like buffers.
Last edited by dugen on Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Allow buffer chests to buffer deconstructed items

Post by ssilk »

I don't understand. Maybe due to the ultry-long sentences. ;)

More seriously: You can turn off your personal logistic requests, there is a switch.

And: I don't understand how this from/to limit should work? What should happen, when there is more than the requested items in the buffer chest?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

+1
ssilk wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:25 pm
The one-sentece TL;DR seems quite clear to me. Make decon-bots prefer buffer chests in close proximity instead of storage chests at the other end of the map.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

dugen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dugen »

ssilk wrote:
I fixed some bad commas to try and make it more legible.

ssilk wrote:
More seriously: You can turn off your personal logistic requests, there is a switch.
What I'm talking about has nothing to do with personal logistics so turning them off has no impact.
ssilk wrote:
And: I don't understand how this from/to limit should work? What should happen, when there is more than the requested items in the buffer chest?
I was not suggesting changing the behavior when there is more than the upper limit, but changing it between the two limits. In that range, it would allow the chest to be a valid target for deconstructed items to be stored by construction robots, but would not actively request the logistics system schedule deliveries of more items. I edited my original post to clarify that. Thanks for the feedback.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Much better now. So you want a buffer chest that works also as storage chest with a filter. The basic problem is, that this will then eat up twice the CPU-cycles because the game needs to check up not only storage chests, but also the buffer chests. And the rules here are more complex.

How will you explain that complexity:logistic chests are mainly thought for logistic robots, and now you have a new rule for supply chests.

I don’t know. I think this ads so much complexity, as it adds gameplay. I would have problems to understand this slider.

A super simple solution for this situation is - for example - to split your robotic network into more parts. Adds also a lot of gameplay, because everything goes faster then (if provided with enough items). :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”