Autobuilding

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Autobuilding

Post by ssilk »

This idea was born from this thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=980

For me it is not completly clear, why I have to build something before I can place it. This makes the game in my eyes sometimes very slow, because it takes so long. I compare it with a credit: If you don't have a creadit you first have to earn all the money. With credit you can built a house much faster. So, credits are good, if you want to make things faster.

And another reason: The most unused items will block the inventory. You never know exactly how much is needed. In reality I make always a little bit more, than needed. This is difficult in factorio, you need to plan exact, but I don't see, how this brings the game forward very much.

Suggestion:

1. If I select an item, for example wire, and there is nothing left, the wire in my arm doesn't disapear, it gets transparent or blinks or something which makes it clear, that I have nothing left.

2. If I have the resources I need to built one, the item in my hand is perhaps highlighted green, otherwise red or something else, which makes it clear, that it either can be built or not.

3. If I can built it and click right for 0.5-1 second (timer is shown), it is automatically built. This is the "requesting of the credit", see above!

To "deliver the credit", we now we have options:

4.a) During building, the item is shown transparently and maybe a mirrored "progress" is shown. When ready, the building is automatically placed where you have selected.

4.b) The item is built and when ready you can click again and it is placed.

4.c) Something between those two options. For example:
- When built, the item is shown transparently, when ready and you are moving into the hand-range of this, the item is placed automatically... Other ways are also thinkable:
- a more comfortable delivery must be researched for example?
- Maybe we have robots or nanobots, which can built that for you: More or less like in Siedler: you let the resources there and the bots will built it for you?
- Maybe it is the same mechanism, that may be used for blueprints?

But don't missinterpret me: This is not blueprints, it is an easier, faster way to built up, it is not first built it and second place it, it is first place it and second built it.

I know, that it is against the survival-feeling, to have such automatisms, but when I count how many hours I sat and waited...

5. Maybe a credit is also possible, when you don't have the resources? Maybe later in the game - must be researched?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Arakasi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Autobuilding

Post by Arakasi »

In another words, you want to plan the position of the buildings and sometime later after you produce such building place it.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autobuilding

Post by ssilk »

Hmmmmmm... yes. In the end it is so. I didn't want to call it so, because I didn't want to focus only on one idea how to do it. Hm, seeing it so, my suggestions is much too detailed. :)

Because the target is not, to built it by placing. The target is speeding up! One possibility is built by placing. But there are other possibilities. See for example https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=886

PS: Most built-up-games make it like that. Good concepts where for example Supreme Commander, Siedler or Anno, because there you had also this "flow of resources" and this "get credit by building"; if you built too much in short time, you have there always the problem, that the built-process gets stuck, which is good, you can't have endless credit.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”