Change held item to ghost item after personal robots take it /Convert ghost item in hand into real item when available

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Divran
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Change held item to ghost item after personal robots take it /Convert ghost item in hand into real item when available

Post by Divran »

Hello,

When I place the last item of a type, then the held item will be turned into a ghost item, which is good, because it allows me to seamlessly keep placing the item as ghosts.

However, a very common problem I have in game is the following:
if my personal robots are the last thing to take the same item, then my held item isn't turned into a ghost item. Instead, it's unequipped and I have to click the toolbar again to re-equip it.

This is extremely annoying if I'm placing a blueprint that contains (for example) several hundred belts, and then at the same time I want to link up these belts to whatever attachment points are just outside the blueprint by manually placing a few more belts.
What happens after this is this:
1. My personal robots will deplete my held item, which removes the held item from my hand instead of changing it to a ghost item.
2. I re-select the item from my toolbar. It's now selected as a ghost item since I don't have any more of it.
3. My logistics robots deliver more of those belts to my inventory. The held ghost item is converted back into a real item.
4. Before I have time to click the ground in order to build, my personal robots pick them up and the item is again no longer selected in my hand, and I'm back to step 1 in an infinite loop.

If your logistics and personal robots pick up a certain rythm, it's entirely possible (and in fact very common) for this entire loop of events to happen once every 0.5 seconds. Meaning it's nearly impossible for me to manually place any items unless I temporarily disable my personal roboports, or just wait until they're done placing belts.

The solution to this problem is of course very simple. Please change it so that when personal robots pick up the last remaining item you are holding, it'll turn into a ghost, just like when you place it normally.

Thanks.
Last edited by ssilk on Wed May 19, 2021 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title to match subject better

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Please change held item to ghost item after personal robots take it

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Lowest0ne
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Convert ghost buildings into the actual building when it gets placed into my inventory

Post by Lowest0ne »

TL;DR
If my cursor is a ghost that has been created as a result of pressing 'q' on a building that is not in my inventory, the cursor should become the building when that it gets put into my inventory.

What ?
The situation can be described as me wanting to move an assembly machine over by one tile, but I do not have any in my inventory. I click 'q' on the assembly machine, and my cursor becomes a ghost. I then right-click on the machine to pick it up. My request is that once the machine is in my inventory, the ghost becomes the item itself, allowing my to place it without needing to press any other buttons.
Why ?
It would be a QoL.
Last edited by ssilk on Wed May 19, 2021 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to similar topic, see my next post — ssilk

Divran
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Divran »

Thanks, I'll definitely be using one of those mods. I still think this should be handled by the game itself though.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

moved lowest’s one post to similar thread
See above for mods, that help to overdo this.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Change held item to ghost item after personal robots take it /Convert ghost item in hand into real item when availab

Post by Xorimuth »

Another mod that does this, and more: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CursorEnhancements
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Change held item to ghost item after personal robots take it /Convert ghost item in hand into real item when availab

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Seems another similar suggestion just got moved to implemented, I wanted to bump/+1 this for visibility to see if it can be implemented as well.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think it doesn’t work this way, but you can try your voodoo. ;)

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Hey, no harm in trying. If this one were to be implemented, I’d have no need for the Curser Enhancements mod anymore (as I don’t make use of the rest of that mod’s features). :)
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

timeshifter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Improve ghost belt dragging (i.e. when on limited supply or while crafting)

Post by timeshifter »

TL;DR
I keep getting frustrated by having a bunch of belts queued up for construction, and trying to place long strips of belts, as the "held item" disappears when belts run out, even when holding Shift for ghost mode.

What ?
If I'm holding Shift while dragging out a long line of belts that I currently have a few of, but not enough to finish construction, it should automatically switch to placing ghosts instead of just de-selecting the item. This gets frustrating when I have a bunch of belts queued up for crafting, because chances are by the time I've selected belts again to keep building, I actually *have* belts again, meaning the problem arises immediately. This is not resolved simply by holding Shift for ghost build mode, as soon as my personal bots deplete my available belts, the tool is de-selected again. The only way to build ghosts persistently is to select belts when I have none, which means I'm just wasting time planning when I could still have crafting queued. up.
Why ?
It would reduce the frustration of planning belt lines that you may currently have a limited supply of, and would make ghost building feel more consistent. Right now, if I run out of real belts while planning ghost belts, I suddenly can't build ghost belts anymore. Given that I wasn't actually *placing* real belts in the first place, this is a bit jarring.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Improve ghost belt dragging (i.e. when on limited supply or while crafting)

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Similar idea/vein of thought: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=98389

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

merged.
Thanks, Fury!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”