Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Deconstruct landfill

Post by Qon »

atomizer wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:02 pm
I was under the impression that the main problem with creation of water (landfill or not) is that it's a cheap indestructible defense mechanism. If enemies don't care, it should no longer apply.
That can't be the reason, you can't create water anywhere except where water spawns normally. So you can't surround yourself with more water and land/water layout you could make with destructible landfill is already possible to do with careful landfill placement, it only makes misplacements and regrets permanent or forces you to reload an earlier save to get rid of it.

I'm of course working under the assumption that you wouldn't be able to mine landfill from grass tiles to create more water than you spawned with, which would have balance implications. But as long as you can't, balance is pretty much not affected by minable landfill at all.

You could maybe argue that if you connect an island to main land with landfill bridges then you can be safe if you disconnect rails and landfill bridges. But you can make walkable 1 tile water with landfill as it is now which belts and bots can pass. You can't connect rail that way as it is now, but the difference is pretty much negligible. And you would have to manually disconnect the land bridge anyways. And at that point you are locked out of your main land rail system anyways until you reconnect, which is a terrible situation to be in which is why no one (cue the exceptions) does that currently. Of course a temporary measure to save your main base might be worth it, but you are also then much more limited in where you can build that kind of base.

And a land bridge 2 rails wide is extremely easy to defend regardless, I don't see a case for this extremely minor cheese among many other more impacting ones should have a such dramatic anti-measure "fix" when it negativly affects gameplay much, much more.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Qon wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:40 pm
That can't be the reason, you can't create water anywhere except where water spawns normally.
I’m not following on this line? With mods that add placeable water tiles, you can place a water tile anywhere.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:01 am
Qon wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:40 pm
That can't be the reason, you can't create water anywhere except where water spawns normally.
I’m not following on this line? With mods that add placeable water tiles, you can place a water tile anywhere.
How is that relevant at all? That is clearly not the topic. We are talking about deconstructible landfill in vanilla, not water fill mods. Water fill mods allow you to place water anywhere, which is why that is OP as fuck and completely off topic. Deconstructible landfill mods exist, but there are bugs that make landfill permantly un-minable in the Factorio game. This is a suggestion because the mods don't work properly, can't work properly as is, the current way doesn't have a proper reason, doesn't help balance, goes against the design of all other place-able tiles and doesn't improve balance.

And I am using such a mod, but I use it as a fix because Wube haven't fixed it yet. And I'm here to argue for fixing this faulty behavior in vanilla, which is what this forum and thread is for.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

As said I see some gameplay value in this, but reality is sometimes much more clever than me.

@all: Keep discussion on topic.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

[ick] Moved to Implemented in 2.0

See https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-383
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Return to “Implemented in 2.0”