Linked rail

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

btarrant
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Linked rail

Post by btarrant »

This would really make surface transitions great.
I noted a previous request to remove other train stations from other surfaces in the GUI which may go back in. However this will mean missing stations(unless I add a whole swag of fake ones) across surfaces and more importantly a safe reliable way to move trains between surfaces and it wouldl open up so many possibilities. What I'm working on now is super difficult and wont ever be perfect and i'm not even sure the end result will be publishable and would be quite happy to throw days of work on the ground and celebrate the glorious addition of linked rails.

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Linked rail

Post by Nosferatu »

From viewtopic.php?p=527469#p527469
DaveMcW wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:11 pm
<boskid> NOOO
<boskid> linked pipes are more likely than linked rails
<boskid> with linked rails there is so many obstacles, with most basic one being trains pathfinder heuristic, that i would have to disable it completly if there would be any linked rail in use
<boskid> and rolling stocks having 2 joints so it would be hard to decide on which surface it should be and what orientation it should report while being in half on one surface and half on another
<boskid> basically it would be immediately forcing linked rails to be on different surface, have exactly the same position, the same orientation and the same bending type
<boskid> and still rolling stocks when traveling across linked rail would be effectively teleported to different surface
<boskid> so if you would have rolling stock with grid and roboport in that grid, and construction robots flying to a rolling stock, when that rolling stock would switch to different surface all the robots would have to be immediately teleported to that other surface
<boskid> i think electricity can be connected between surfaces (there are some distance checks bypassed if both ends are on different surfaces, not sure if it was for all wires or only for PowerSwitch), now belts, there are chests
<boskid> pipes are strong next candidate, but please do not mention rails, i have nightmares because of that idea

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

image.png
image.png (822.5 KiB) Viewed 1077 times

btarrant
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by btarrant »

Fair enough, thanks for the reply. We'll I'll box on hopefully it's usable.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”