Logistic Chests ideas.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Dark_Wynd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Logistic Chests ideas.

Post by Dark_Wynd »

Every logistic chest should have the Circuit Network mode of operation "Enable / Disable" and "none" (Similar to Inserters). (A disabled logistic chest would have bots ignore that chest)

Every logistic chest should have the "Read content" as an option (i.e. checkmark), not a mode of operation. This would allow Requester Chests & Buffer Chests to both read their content & set the request through circuit network.

Storage Chests should have a Circuit network Mode of Operation "Set Filter" similar to filter inserters.
I wish that Storage chests could also be customized to include slot filter, similar to Cargo Train filters.

Finally, when bots are moving items to storage chests, I wish they would prioritize storage chests with filters of the corresponding item over chests without filters. Plus, prioritizing closest chests as opposed to oldest chests.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Logistic Chests ideas.

Post by ssilk »

Please can you use for such suggestions the suggestions-template? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47316
Dark_Wynd wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:59 pm
Every logistic chest should have the Circuit Network mode of operation "Enable / Disable" and "none" (Similar to Inserters). (A disabled logistic chest would have bots ignore that chest)

Every logistic chest should have the "Read content" as an option (i.e. checkmark), not a mode of operation. This would allow Requester Chests & Buffer Chests to both read their content & set the request through circuit network.
That does not work as you might expect it, because if you output the contents of a chest and read them at the same time you read the previously outputted content. Which is fatal for requester chests. :D

The best solution to that is to use the different wire colors.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56890 Separate signals to/from red and green wires
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69446 Combinator Condition Idea
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44216 Additional Virtual Signals for Operating on Red and Green
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49278 circuit combinators, set wire-colors for select-windows
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=50283 Separated Handling of Red and Green Wires
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47706 Circuit network improvement: Multiple modes of operation
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53996 circuit network improvements
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31438 Wire color based signal input selector (for virtual signals)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24257 New Combinator to work on wires seperatly
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16989 Extend Combinators

There are also other ideas like
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=75852 One Wire for control circuits, colours as channels

That would also enable totally new functions:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94715 'Each on Red Circuit' and 'Each on Green Circuit'
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61557 New combinator symbols: Each[Green] and Each[Red]
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32300 Pairwise multiply/divide EACH signal in combinators

More than enough evidence to see, that separation of wire-colors is really useful. :)
Storage Chests should have a Circuit network Mode of Operation "Set Filter" similar to filter inserters.
But storage chest has only one filter, not 5...
I wish that Storage chests could also be customized to include slot filter, similar to Cargo Train filters.
We had that some days ago already
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=96663 Filtered Chests Like Train Wagons

Finally, when bots are moving items to storage chests, I wish they would prioritize storage chests with filters of the corresponding item over chests without filters. Plus, prioritizing closest chests as opposed to oldest chests.
That would complicate the calculations and makes Factorio slower. The bots go for storage chests simply through a list per robot-network. I recommend to have
A) make your robot-networks not too big so that the distances keep small.
B) put the storage chest on a central space, and build around that
C) use supply chests to speed things up
D) don’t bulk transport items, that can be transferred by belts/trains
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Dark_Wynd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Logistic Chests ideas.

Post by Dark_Wynd »

That does not work as you might expect it, because if you output the contents of a chest and read them at the same time you read the previously outputted content. Which is fatal for requester chests. :D
Well, requester chests which have a a request of 100,000 of coal, for example, will only have 4,800 coal delivered to it.
As for an overflow problem (Integer value too high, for example), there seem to be a safeguard already in place when dealing with Memory cells design when an overflow is encountered. For example, the blueprint that follows, will take each input, multiply it by two and output its result to the input of the combinator. This will eventually lead to a -20 value when the overflow has been reached.

I'm not sure why reading and setting the request at the same time would be fatal for a requester chest.

But storage chest has only one filter, not 5...
Stack Filter Inserters has only 1 filter, and this works very well for them!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”