Identification of signals based on their source in the circuit network

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Thispain
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Identification of signals based on their source in the circuit network

Post by Thispain »

Currently, in a circuit network, we can easily perform operations with two different signals, but with signals from two separate sources only if we convert one, so we cannot make an accurate comparison over a certain amount of signal sources (from which the same signal comes), and if yes, circuit would take up unrealistically much space.

A solution to this problem could be to identify the signals by source(object) in approx. thus:

The format of the signs could be as follows: 'Coordinates of the building': 'Identifier consisting of 4 numbers and letters'
(e.g., X162; Y156: F2G3). Of this, in combinators and other buildings and entities, the last 4 letters would appear at the signal selector in a similar way to the one in the picture. To make it easier to identify signal sources locally, there could be a preview when the cursor is over that signal.

As you can see in the picture, the general shape of the signs would remain, and signals with a source ID would only appear if you right-click the generic signal, so they would still be just as easy to count regardless of the ID on them (if used).

Another problem may be that for larger circuits, the number of signals with the source ID would increase abruptly.

My suggestion for this problem is that the local identification of materials should be adjustable per source (e.g., box, circuit unit, other entity) and should not be labeled with a source ID by default.

Off topic:

I once read an idea that decisive combinators could have an adjustable else output.
Most players rejected this idea mostly because it would not be optimal for the program (plus 1 execution in the if sector), but as the player wrote, it would be optimal for the amount of space occupied in the playing field, and from writing two very similar conditions would also spare players (which would be two operations in the same way).

Link to the idea: viewtopic.php?t=64173

Picture of the implementation:

I apologize for the rudimentary nature of the designs.

Update:

The idea received a comment from Ssilk, one of the global admins. I agree with the two proposals he considers more useful, and would most likely have an additional effect on the idea I have written
{
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56890 Separate signals to/from red and green wires
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=50283 Separated Handling of Red and Green Wires
}.
To the ideas I prefer, I would also list one related idea, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94715 ‘Each on Red Circuit’ and ‘Each on Green Circuit’. It would make it much easier to separate the signals in my opinion.

God forbid us from implementing the other related idea(viewtopic.php?f=6&t=90147 'Combinator Logic Rework') in games. It wouldn’t really fit into the game if we would to run a thousand assignments in a single combinator, making it a programming language from the world of combinators.

However, I would support the creation of a similar control panel where existing combiner networks could be reprogrammed "remotely" if connected to that network. This control panel could exist as a physical entity, a building, or an object. Of course, due to the fixed structure of the combinators, the structure could not be changed, only the values ​​and the operators.
Last edited by Thispain on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Identification of signals based on their source in the circuit network

Post by ssilk »

I point to the more useful suggestions:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56890 Separate signals to/from red and green wires
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=50283 Separated Handling of Red and Green Wires

Related
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94715 'Each on Red Circuit' and 'Each on Green Circuit'
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=90147 Combinator Logic Rework
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

TioQueToca74
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Allow to see which entity generated a circuit signal

Post by TioQueToca74 »

TL;DR
Be able to see which entity writes a signal
What?
Add some gui to see which entity writes a signal, and even create a ping to that referenced machine when clicked. The GUI may be tricky as it's a tooltip now and sometimes multiple entities can be outputting the same signal, for example, a train station may be outputting the number of trains, and a constant is subtracting -2 to that number, so that GUI should display both entities, other possible problem is that currently when a signal value is zero, it's just not displayed, so it may be time consuming to debug why it's zero, it can be because it's not connected, or because you forgot to specify it, or because after some maths its value is zero.
Why?
Sometimes it's pretty hard to remember which combinator, entity, or whatever is providing a signal, in long/complex circuit networks, it can be a nightmare to find a bug, the other day I had a rather complex circuit network, where I would read the number of robot entities, and based on that number I would output a signal with robot symbol and 1 as value, so filter inserter would only pick bots, the problem is that I mixed the circuit networks, and so this was adding a +1 to the data from the original circuit where I would read the number of bots in a chest
Offtopic
I'm experienced backend programmer, my brain can't do graphics, srr :P, btw, I was not able to embed the mp4 for better look, gif would probably be very big, so I added it as an attachment.

I did search in google if already asked, for me looks like an obvious feature to has been asked, but looks like not, anyway, google is working worse every day

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Identification of signals based on their source in the circuit network

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into an older similar suggestion trying to address the same issue.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”