Don't connect to deconstructed power / No auto connect wires when deconstruccting

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Don't connect to deconstructed power / No auto connect wires when deconstruccting

Post by blazespinnaker »

I run into this a lot, needing to move a big electric pole over a few tiles. I deconstructed the BEP, but when I try to print the replacement, it connects to the deconstructed one (which doesn't really make sense, right?) and won't connect to original's neighbors as BEPs can't connect to common poles.

It means I have to wait for the BEP to be fully deconstructed before printing a new one.
Last edited by ssilk on Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Don't connect to deconstructed power

Post by ssilk »

But when finally BEP is deconstructed it will connect, or will not?
Don’t completely understand the problem. Why should it not connect? Power through to be deconstructed poles is better than no power, or not? Then why?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Give it a shot. Very aggravating when moving BEPs over a few tiles (make way for a rail or some such). Maybe power might work for the brief few minutes before a bot comes along and removes the tower, but that's obviously of very little use.

Pretty inconsistent for a printed ghost to connect to a deconstructed tower if you ask me. Most things are deactivated when queued for deconstruction.
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I find it mega important to have power as long as possible, because I think it can happen much too often that the pole is removed, roboport has no power and the remaining area isn’t removed, because roboport runs out of power.

In my opinion such cases can only be solved properly, when we have the ability to place parts of blueprints (deconstruction, upgrade) , or filtered parts of blueprints more or less automated one layer after the other.

trampek
Inserter
Inserter

no auto connect wires when deconstructing

Post by trampek »

hello

please tell me there is way to do this already or please add this feature cos its driving me crazy ...

im making 2 power grids next to each other, or rather one on each other , it is quite messy even when i do shift+click and put all wires myself ( its around some building but need 2 grids), but then i deconstruct 1 pole and all my work is wasted cos every pole that was connected to one i deconstructed happily go and connect to everything it should not, really really annoying

also little other thing , less annoying but still, i got blueprint with those 2 grids and it works but if i place it close to other poles it connect to those outside blueprint so i have to go and find those and disconnect them 1 by 1

all that stuff would be much easier if those wires would be highlight like circuit wires , now if 1 of described above thing happen i have to look thro web of wires with no indicator which is which , would be much better if there was some option to disable poles autoconnection at all but if there was some highlight that would help a little too

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: no auto connect wires when deconstructing

Post by Koub »

This is somewhere between gameplay help and a suggestion. I'll leave the post here, because I'm almost certain that what you want can't be done. However, I'm also almost certain it won't be added (not a dev myself, just an intuition).

Also, you might fond this discussion interesting : viewtopic.php?f=25&t=100492
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Dmytrozern
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dmytrozern »

This sounds like a mod. Or, alternatively - disconnect all poles from the one you want to pick up before you do, and it should do the trick.

I'm against having this feature forced. Imagine removing a pole with a bot at a distant outpost and not seeing that you just cut out half of that outpost, including a radar.
Mostly a vanilla player. Enjoy extreme railworld deathworlds with a 5x+ tech price.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

merged with more or less quite similar suggestion
Dmytrozern wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:27 pm
Imagine removing a pole with a bot at a distant outpost and not seeing that you just cut out half of that outpost, including a radar.
That can be avoided with this suggestion:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=89065 Control Power Connections by Colored Power Poles (revisited)
[Ok, it’s from me, but after a year or so I loose the personal connection to my suggestions and it’s more or less like any other.] I still think (now after reading nearly a dozen similar suggestions), that this one is the best (power connection suggestion), because it solves a number of other problems, that most other suggestions don’t have on screen. Its not a similar suggestion, but it also solves this problem. That why I include it into this list.

Of course there are lots of others
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81465 Allow disabling of power pole auto-connect in clipboard and blueprints
Includes also more links to similar suggestions.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=86937 Network Mask for Electric Poles
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=91100 Option to Lock Power Poles Against Auto-connection
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=95735 Blueprint separate wires

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Don't connect to deconstructed power / No auto connect wires when deconstruccting

Post by JimBarracus »

thats partly the reason why I have a redundand power supply to basically everything.

If you care about the build order you should use multiple blueprints.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Don't connect to deconstructed power / No auto connect wires when deconstruccting

Post by Stringweasel »

blazespinnaker wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:39 am
I run into this a lot, needing to move a big electric pole over a few tiles.
Have you tried the spectacular mod Picker Dollies? Hover your cursor over the pole (or any entity), then Shift+Arrow will move the pole one to any direction. Also super useful when you want to move big warehouses full of items or combinators :)
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes, picker Dollies should be in Vanilla, because it can save you hours of time.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”