Change trains to not "fake leave" a station

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Change trains to not "fake leave" a station

Post by Trific »

TL;DR
Old behavior using disabled train stops: A train with nowhere to go would remain at last station, and be able to take on further cargo/fuel.
New behavior using train stop limits: A train with nowhere to go will "fake" leaving the station, closing up and unable to take on further cargo/fuel, but not actually moving out of the station.

Desired behavior: A train with nowhere to go should remain in station, and not "fake" leaving, regardless of whether disabling stops or train limits are used.

In converting over to use train limits, I've had to use both limits and disabling to get the old behavior.
Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 2.05.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 2.05.40 AM.png (47.73 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Some of my trains load from stations that once cold started, take a fairly long time to generate a full train load. I have the trains set to leave after a set period of time, or when the train is full. If there is no station available to take the delivery, the train remains in the station after the interval and continues to load, leaving only when a station to take the load opens up. This is useful as while the new installation spools up and eventually buffers enough, I don't have to babysit the train through the spool up in order to start getting goods flowing.

The new behavior has no useful qualities. The only change is that the train closes up and accepts no more load/fuel. It doesn't give up its reservation to allow another train in.

I have done a search to see if there are other suggestions like this. The suggestion (531189) to introduce a leave condition on whether the next station is available would also work, but seems a more extensive change and introduces a lot more side effects that might be undesired. While I would love to see that idea implemented, this is what I'm most concerned about and would be the least change to accomplish my goal.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”