VR blueprints, modular vehicles and other

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Aski.CZE
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

VR blueprints, modular vehicles and other

Post by Aski.CZE »

So … 3k hrs in so i guess it's about time to make a little suggestion list for stuff to change/add instead of lurking in the shadows all tho the game’s 1.0 is released i still think there are several things that would great in vanilla

Just keep in mind this is just my point of view … it would be awesome if it got added into future updates but i know it's unlikely to happen cause 1.0 :) … but hey maybe just some inspiration for a modder out there :lol:

- VR like Blueprints making where player would be placed in to a grid space (like a tutorial background) where all ghosts will be immediately placed and could “spawn” in items on to belts as pleased basically creative mod and all of this inside the BP it self so everything u will do would be projected into the BP it self so updating a BP would be much much easier - just take a existing BP, place it in a VR-BP slot, click VR icon, update whatever u want, jump out and here u go updated BP

- Modular vehicles, cant talk for others but for me personally when making cars, tanks or whatever i usually make just one use that one until it breaks or most of the time it gets useless so it would be awesome if the vehicle could be modular in a way where u would make a shell of a vehicle and then once u place it u could choose what it will be inside the vehicle somewhat like a modular system in armor but once u make it thats it so u will have to choose weapons, what drives it more or less powerful engine i.e. early game (small) weaker or late game (bigger) stronger or even a electric motor where it will take power from a fusion reactor which will be required to install within the vehicle in the end once u configure it u would have to place certain items based on what u choose in to a trunk of the shell u placed and click build and here u go all custom vehicle just for u
After though: u could also push it a bit further where u would also pick a armor type or basically a visual skin where u could make a light and mobile car with big engine that would be just crazy fast or heavily armored but slower car or in late game have a different tank something bigger and heavier with even more HP it would open door to give player a bunch of stuff to play with without really crowding crafting menu also guess this might not be bad for modders since they could add all the vehicles they want through components for vehicles rather then fixed and set vehicles

and some less important but still useful IMO

-Undoing land filled area would be awesome we’re all people and make mistakes just a misclick and one has to reload
-Landfilling/paving over resources would “hide” them they would still be there but unmineable and invisible so u would have to remove the layer u placed before to mine them … or let them buried forever … or until someone else crashes on the same planet in million yrs and finds whatever remains of your factory
-Rocket turret … just a small 2x2 but rapid firing turret as a AOE upgrade from flamer basically a static spidertron
-Sideway inserter (rotatable I or O) imagine all the designs people could make with that being in vanilla

Kalanndok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: VR blueprints, modular vehicles and other

Post by Kalanndok »

As for modular vehicles.
It sounds a like the spidertrons.

I do have a bunch of yellow "Rubble"s with construction bots and materials construction, a bunch of green "Rocky"s with just bots for recycling, and a blue "Chase", red "Marshall", pink "Skye" and brown "Zuma" as peacemakers :)

Oh, not to forget: A fast running "Tracker" and a fast running "Everest" for exploration :)

Aski.CZE
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aski.CZE »

Kalanndok wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:27 am
As for modular vehicles.
It sounds a like the spidertrons.

I do have a bunch of yellow "Rubble"s with construction bots and materials construction, a bunch of green "Rocky"s with just bots for recycling, and a blue "Chase", red "Marshall", pink "Skye" and brown "Zuma" as peacemakers :)

Oh, not to forget: A fast running "Tracker" and a fast running "Everest" for exploration :)
Well yeah spidertron is customizable and that's because it has grid witch other vehicles do no have in vanilla

By vehicle customization i mean ability to choose what will be inside the vehicle let's give a example with a car:

Weapons: SMG, rockets, flamer
Engine: small engine, big engine, electric engine
Armor: Light, medium, heavy

so at the start of the game u could put in to the car only SMG as a weapon with a small engine and could choose between light and medium armor

now when u chose medium armor u would have basically the same car you have now but if you would chose light armor u would get different skin and the car would be lighter therefor faster (let say 20-30% speed boost) but at cost of its HP (- 25-50%)

But that's just early game in the end game u could do whatever... want to have heavily armored car with strong ass engine go for it want to armor up spidertron go for it
what about discharge defense maybe that could be considered a weapon so a basic tank with discharge defense instead of framer

The point being u would have shell with “x” amount of weapon slots based on vehicle/armor and 1 slot each for engine (or just general movement) and 1 slot for armor type (HP vs speed)

So spidertron with flamer or with SMG, car with rockets and also different skins based on the armor etc. etc.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Aski.CZE, please have a look at how to make good suggestions.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3394
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47316

It makes things easier to discuss if make one idea per thread.

For the vr-idea: you can do something similar in the edit mode.

Modular vehicles: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42221

Landfill resources: there are mods to remove resources. But in general I find that idea interesting.

Rocket turret: there are several mods, that do that. I doubt it will come into vanilla.

Sideway inserter: there is a mod, that implements them, but it will never come to vanilla, because it destroys some of the puzzle game-play.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Aski.CZE
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aski.CZE »

“keep one suggestion per thread” ...Guess i failed :LOL:
I felt like i should not spam the board but i missed this sorry about that

As to the VR-idea i find myself a lot of time just forgetting something either its something simple like a name which can be filled in afterwards but more often it's something like name of a stations so that means that i have to re-select the entire thing and if the BP is something like a city block and has 300x300 size that can be time consuming since i'm locking that to grid and it needs to be selected exactly to a tile and at that point its whole new bp so rename it again reselect the size etc. etc. and here we go again i forgot something … 3 rd time the charm i guess
The point of this would be to make BPs a little more easily updatable and not easier to make from scratch since with creative mod u have total control over everything from spawning/deleting resources on to belts to stuff like game speed for testing
So even if this was a thing id still use a “Test world” with creative mod ON to make that BP in its core but them id use this VR to update the little things i overlooked in the BP thats unless the VR would be a fully fredged thing with creative mod like stuff baked into it which i doubt since i feel like that would be far too much resources committed in development to somewhat a scares scenario since not everybody is making such a huge BPs and that way has such a huge chance to make an error

As to landfilling resources i know there are mods that do that i usually use sun resources to move stuff around so they are not in a way once i get to megabases
But at the same time i always found it weird that u can place concrete “under” the resources so it would not be a bad idea IMO if they would need to be land filled over first and them could be paved over with concrete and if u have resources as they are (no landfill) they could not be paved over but idk how you would tell that to a new player hell it would be even harder to tell that to experienced player at this point since u could do a pop-up tutorial for new player but experienced players just have this disabled and totally ignore it so that's a thing idk how could be solved if it were in the game guess you would have to rely on to Youtubers and a FFF blog to tell that to the more experinced player base

bormand
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bormand »

There was a mod very similar to your VR idea: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Edit-Blueprints

Maybe someone will revive it.

Aski.CZE
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aski.CZE »

bormand wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:06 am
There was a mod very similar to your VR idea: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Edit-Blueprints

Maybe someone will revive it.

That fits basically almost perfectly from the description of it to what i mean to bad it doesn't work or at least doesn't show for current version of factorio :(

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”