Train station window - train on route indicator

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

NimbleJack021
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Train station window - train on route indicator

Post by NimbleJack021 »

TL;DR
When clicking on a train station, there is no indication that a train is on route to it.
What ?
I would like to see the train station window modified to include information related to whether or not a station is being serviced, and by which train.

when I click on a station and the window pops up, I have no idea if a train is travelling to that station or not. there is the list of all the trains with that station on their schedule but there is no indication that a train is travelling to the station that I have clicked on.

Can an indicator be added to the station GUI to show which train is travelling to traveling to that station currently? Would it be possible to maybe highlight which train that has that specific stop on its schedule, is travelling to it presently?

I have included two screen shots, the first is the regular window, the second is the window with the train "en route" highlighted

On Route, highlight train in red

Why ?
I have a few more then a handful of trains and was trying to trouble shoot why some stations weren't being serviced. I am using another players circuit network setup to route and organize train movement. being able to see if a train was coming or not would have been helpful when trying to figure out why the station wasn't getting a delivery. (the answer, i think, is not enough mines)

This seems like a really basic piece of information to have displayed on the window that pops up when you click on a station. I know that if there are only a few trains running around its not that hard to figure out which train on the schedule is coming. When there are a dozen or so trains, it makes it harder to guess which one is on its way, or that there isn't one on the way.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Train station window - train on route indicator

Post by ssilk »

The trains have the target highlighted in orange.
Why isn’t that enough?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

ssilk wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:51 am
Why isn’t that enough?
That only indicates they're going to a station with that name, not necessarily the one that is open, which might not be specific enough for OP if he's trying to debug stuff.

NimbleJack021
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NimbleJack021 »

ssilk wrote:
Why isn’t that enough?
this isn't regarding trains, this is for stations.

when I click on a station i want to see if a train has been dispatched to it or not.

chasing individual trains and checking each one individually to see if it is going to the station in question is not enough.

I mean...it could be done...but clicking from train to train you may miss which one is heading towards it. and you wouldnt know if you missed it or not if i train sneaks into the station while you're half way down the list of trains.

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

You can see how many trains are currently approaching a station by looking at the "Train limit" line of the entity information.

NimbleJack021
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NimbleJack021 »

Nidan wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:40 pm
You can see how many trains are currently approaching a station by looking at the "Train limit" line of the entity information.
I am not up to date yet, I'm currently on 1.0. I don't want to update until I finish my current base.

My understanding is there is still no indication of which specific train in the schedule list is on route. Is that still true?

knowing their is a train is one step, but being able to see which specific train is the suggestion I'm recommending.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

So, what I want to see there are the trains, that are heading to this station on top of the list. At best in about the order of distance (chunks are enough).

Then that which are in distance of one station, two stations etc. and as special rule, those who are just leaving and heading to the next station at last.

So I know those trains that are at top will come next or those that take the longest I need to scroll down.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Eldaris
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Eldaris »

ssilk wrote:
Why isn’t that enough?
It doesn't work if there are many stations with the same name (see example with 77 similar station, most of which disabled). There is one train headed to any of the building dropoff stations (in this case not the selected station, but we can't see that at a glance). I can select it now and see which station it goes to, but in OP's case you can see it's not always just one train in the list that's going a certain way.

Being able to see if there is a train heading to the selected station in a single glance is quite a welcome QoL feature to have.
example.png
example.png (193.51 KiB) Viewed 1738 times

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”