train condition for when the next stop has reservations available

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SpaceCat-Chan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

train condition for when the next stop has reservations available

Post by SpaceCat-Chan »

TL;DR
a train condition so trains won't go to the next stop in their schedule unless there is a stop that has enough reservations to contain it

What ?
with the recently added feature that allows us to put train limits on train stops, i have hit a problem, if multiple trains have the schedule
depo -> pickup -> dropoff
and there is a circuit condition on the depo schedule stops
this means multiple trains might begin going towards the pickup at the same time, with the feature this should be fixed, but i have experienced that the trains actually skip the pickup station completely instead of waiting at their current stop, this means they will go towards the dropoff station without even having a full inventory, a condition for them to wait until the next stop has reservations for the train would solve this issue
Mods:
Thaumaturgic Machinations Research Fix
Circuit Pinger
Hazard Lights
Hazard Lights Selection Tool
Hazard Lights Auto Lights

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: train condition for when the next stop has reservations available

Post by ssilk »

What is a reservation? For me, that’s persons, that have reserved a seat in a train. :)

Do you mean the station provides enough?

How do you signal that currently?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

SpaceCat-Chan wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:35 am
but i have experienced that the trains actually skip the pickup station completely instead of waiting at their current stop, this means they will go towards the dropoff station without even having a full inventory, a condition for them to wait until the next stop has reservations for the train would solve this issue
Do you disable the pick up station ? Or do you set its limit to 0 ?

In the first case, the expected behavior is the "skip". In the second, trains should wait at the depot with "Destination Full" message, instead of skipping.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

mmmPI wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:21 pm
In the first case, the expected behavior is the "skip". In the second, trains should wait at the depot with "Destination Full" message, instead of skipping.
they definitely don't wait at the depot. here's what i think they're trying to explain;

the depot station won't register that there's a train waiting there, but it does have a reservation for it still.

this means you can't set up two stations with limit 1:

Ore Load -> Ore Unload

and set up two trains, one at each, same schedule:

Ore Load (Full) -> Ore Unload (Empty)

because although this should theoretically work, since they don't register as present trains in the station circuit signals, it doesn't, because the train still has that reservation.

what happens:

train finishes unloading, says "Destination Full" as train still loading at the other side.
other side finishes loading, says "Destination Full" because train at the unload station still has reservation (even though it's trying to leave).

what should happen:

train finishes unloading, says "Destination Full" as train still loading at other side (or vice versa)
other side finishes unloading, and dispatches off to the receiver.
empty train leaves receiver to fill up, as it is now empty.

SpaceCat-Chan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SpaceCat-Chan »

sorry for being a bit slow, i added a picture of the actual schedules, the signals are the amount of stations ready to receive a train.

when a train paths to a station with a train limit, i attempts to get a "reservation" at that station, that is how the station knows how many trains are pathing to it, if there are no stations with enough available "reservations" then it waits until there is.

when a station can't accept a train, it is disabled.

hopefully this answers your questions, i will try to respond faster next time
Attachments
train schedule
train schedule
Screenshot from 2021-01-14 21-36-48.png (46.27 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
Mods:
Circuit Pinger
Hazard Lights

SYCLOPS
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SYCLOPS »

If I understand correctly, it sounds like the pickup stations are being disabled by some condition, then when they are all disabled the trains skip over it and head to your drop off location. When all stations of a name are disabled they're suppose to be skipped like that.

If you want to do both things, disable the stops and use the limits I think you would need wire the conditions that are closing the pickup stations to the depot and use that to hold the trains OR you could make another station with limit 1 and name it the same as your pickup and have a single engine with only that stop sitting at it forever.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

It's ok to answer "slowly" :) not everyone has the same consideration of time.

I am not understanding what you call "reservation", but i would consider it is a name you use to describe your system, it's not the internal technical "reservation" that the game uses to manage train logic. This may have caused some confusion that ssilk pointed out with sarcasm :twisted:

I have never used such "departure condition" coupled with train limit, which you seems to use, that is interesting but i have hard time picturing it. :)
SpaceCat-Chan wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:43 pm
when a station can't accept a train, it is disabled.
I think like SYCLOPS that sometimes all train stop station of a certain station are disabled at the same time, which cause some trains previously parked at a depot with the "destination full" message, to stop caring about the station and skip it.

SYCLOPS wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:52 pm
OR you could make another station with limit 1 and name it the same as your pickup and have a single engine with only that stop sitting at it forever.
that's smart and new :)

Another possibility i was using before the train limit was a thing is to have 1 station of the same name as the one that might disable on a piece of rail unconnected to the network. This way instead of skipping the station because they are all disabled, the train would change from "destination full" to "no path", not leaving their parking.

However i think the "intended way" was to reduce the limit of incoming train to 0 instead of disabling the station, allowing the "no-skip" behavior. But that may not be an option given your setup, which i can't picture in my head :).
Last edited by mmmPI on Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This thread is indeed a bit confusing, because of not using correct game-terms.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

SpaceCat-Chan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SpaceCat-Chan »

just to clear things up: when i say reservation i mean the same thing as FFF-361.

this entire system was designed before stop limits were implemented, so that's probably why it's misbehaving.

i am thinking of testing a "set train limit to 0" system and ditching signals entirely, if that works it would simplify things a lot and clear the signal lines for new important data that i might need in the future
Mods:
Circuit Pinger
Hazard Lights

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”