New stop condition for Trains...

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

New stop condition for Trains...

Post by PanTobi »

TL;DR
New conditions for Trains:
:: If item count less / more for each wagon
:: If low on fuel
:: If other train is waiting

What ?
atm. we have condition to check for full/empty or item amount in cargo... but its not enough :/...
Lets say that we have 1-2 and one wagon is empty but second is full... in this situation without balancer half of our smelters do nothing...

In late i just build one / two "refuel" stations where Train stop on every loop to take fuel...
Because in early its fine to feed then on Stop / Start but in late where you have 50+ Train Stops?...

Yeee sure u can move Fuel with Bots... but i dont use bots... ( im using them only for MK2 eq and Power ( Uranium ) )
Actualy... Train should have "special" fuel stop, so we can pick Train Stop where Train can go when on low Fuel :c...

This might be little hard to do for Dev-s but it would be rly cool to have option to leave Train Stop if another train is already waiting
for example * condition for Train
if( empty_cargo )
or
if( ( Item < 2000 ) && ( TimePass > 30 || OtherTrainWaiting ) )

Why ?
Its very important :c...
Look at this Train ( One_Wagon_Train SS ), one wagon is still pretty full and because of that one wagon my Train
will stop here for long time with 3 empty wagons and one full... ofc. its my bad because i could use Balancer...

but tbh. this design is just cut from my other factory where i produce 200.000 iron / minute
Just look at "Train" Screenshot, here i can't build balancer because its direct in/out from smelter to trains

and tbh. all my stops works to be FAST so not everything is always balanced... ( Loader SS )
with option to check amount of items in EVERY wagon INSTEAD of items in WHOLE TRAIN... this could work even faster :x...

Plz new Train conditions for me T_T...
One_Wagon_Train
Two_Wagon_Train
JustRandomSSXD
Train
Loader
Yes it took me long to color and format everything <3

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: New stop condition for Trains...

Post by SoShootMe »

PanTobi wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:29 am
"Any wagon" and "All wagons" variants of item/fluid count and full/empty might have some uses, but for bulk transport, you want to balance unloading in order to maximise the amount transported per train journey and have no need of such conditions.

You don't necessarily need to balance as you unload a train. For example, when unloading ore into furnaces, you could balance furnace output instead.
PanTobi wrote:
The main value I can see of this is with "entry conditions" (which have previously been suggested), so you could say "skip the refuel stop if all locomotive fuel > n%".

For now, distributing fuel is just part of the game. Logistic robots make this easy and flexible, but if you don't want to use them then run belts past the stops (which favours grouping stops together) or have fuel depots at strategic locations.
PanTobi wrote:
I've never felt a need for this so I haven't tried it, but it should be fairly easily possible using the circuit network. A rail signal can send its state to the circuit network: being red indicates there is a train in the block it protects, which can be used to detect a train waiting. This can be used to provide a circuit network signal to the stop, which you can check in a wait condition.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

PanTobi wrote:
atm. we have condition to check for full/empty or item amount in cargo... but its not enough :/...
Lets say that we have 1-2 and one wagon is empty but second is full... in this situation without balancer half of our smelters do nothing...
Then add a balancer? Or change the waiting condition to 50%.
It’s the players responsibility in my opinion.
In late i just build one / two "refuel" stations where Train stop on every loop to take fuel...
Because in early its fine to feed then on Stop / Start but in late where you have 50+ Train Stops?...

Yeee sure u can move Fuel with Bots... but i dont use bots... ( im using them only for MK2 eq and Power ( Uranium ) )
Actualy... Train should have "special" fuel stop, so we can pick Train Stop where Train can go when on low Fuel :c...
There are several mods, that will enable you to send trains to some kind of refuel station.
Yes it took me long to color and format everything <3
I hope you had fun, because it is not so fun to read that BBCode-chaos in the editor. ;)

See also viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3394
You like colors? We like content! Don't use colors in text if there is no good reason.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by PanTobi »

Why u bully me so much silk T,T u probably hate me T-T

Can you give me 4x4 balancer that fit in space between my trains? You have only 2 width of free space...

I like my chaos <3 it's good xd

:c....

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

PanTobi wrote:
This mod could help you to read the cargo wagons separately:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Inventory%20Sensor
PanTobi wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:20 pm

Can you give me 4x4 balancer that fit in space between my trains? You have only 2 width of free space...

:c....
I think you don't need to take this personally. It's just easier to handle, if you follow some formalities. At least, you took the template this time :)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

While playtesting recently, I was irritated at having to build fuelling at every train stop,
But i didn't want every train to go to a refuel all the time, when it might not need fuel,
And even worse, with the train limits it could go to refuel, and then be stuck there waiting for the destination to open

So I made a mod which adds special signals you can put in the train stop name, which will skip depending on certain conditions:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Train_Control_Signals

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Klonan wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:12 pm
So I made a mod
Awesome!
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Klonan wrote:
So I made a mod which adds special signals you can put in the train stop name, which will skip depending on certain conditions:
Brilliant. Just like many of the rest of your mods it's simple and straightforward and it should be stock, but you know better than I why it's not :)

Insta-install.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

PanTobi wrote:
You’re ok. But your posts aren’t. :) As webmaster it’s part of my job to help making good posts. 8-)
You have built it, you can change it. There is the destruction-tool, make a blueprint, remove it, rebuilt it shifted, voillá: free space. That’s what Factorio is about: it’s a puzzle to find a solution for the problems you made. :)
So why do you want to change it? ;)
Klonan wrote:
So I made a mod
Nice. I remember some mod in 0.12 that had a similar way to propose refueling (need to put “refuel” into the station name).
This is much more clever. :) From programmers standpoint I don’t like it, because you misuse a name for a hidden function. But as mod it’s really ok to do it so.
And from players standpoint I miss, that you can’t use it with LTN. ;)

PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by PanTobi »

jodokus31 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:03 pm
Spoiler
xDD im not taking this personally xD i was just trolling gosh :P...
i didnt know about this Mod <3 gonna try it soon <3 ty <3

ssilk wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:16 am
PanTobi wrote:
You’re ok. But your posts aren’t. :) As webmaster it’s part of my job to help making good posts. 8-)
Bfff... webmaster T_T...
just weeb xD !...

But i rly like colors :c...
Colors looks cool T_T... and amazing... and beauty T_T...

@klonan - why ping is not working lol... thats how u ping ppl everywhere T_T...
Anywaa... But u are Factorio Dev right?... because u have Pink Name... idk...

so why Mod? instead of Game Feature, i dont understand :x...
ofc. gonna download ur mod soon and test how it works <3

//Edit:

@Ssilk
Yes i know... Factorio is about puzzle etc. and i rly like this... but some things are just IMPOSSIBLE to make :c...
Im big fan of building something small and packed... but sometimes i have to pick between Size or Speed...

and if i have to waste another 3 blocks width for only 20% Speed Bonus... its not worth xD

Some of my crazy and amazing builds: ( lol )
FarradusRafineryV.3
Plastic4Line
Raw2RC
Steel800Furnances
StartBaseMK2
Start Base MK2 is mix of
- Early game Lab ( Sp1/2 )
- Power Production ( pipes, engines )
- Base building ( ins, belts, drills, asms )
and look how small and packed it is :D

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

PanTobi wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:12 am
@Ssilk
Yes i know... Factorio is about puzzle etc. and i rly like this... but some things are just IMPOSSIBLE to make :c...
Im big fan of building something small and packed... but sometimes i have to pick between Size or Speed...
I recommend to look into the viewforum.php?f=8 Show your creations board.

There are really crazy people with the same sense for perfectionism as you. ;) And some find absolutely crazy solutions to problems, that where formerly be told as unsolvable.

Kalanndok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kalanndok »

Klonan wrote:
While playtesting recently, I was irritated at having to build fuelling at every train stop,
But i didn't want every train to go to a refuel all the time, when it might not need fuel,
And even worse, with the train limits it could go to refuel, and then be stuck there waiting for the destination to open

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for on how to do it and could not come up with a solution in vanilla.
However, there seems to be a bug that can make a train skip a station that is neither refuel nor depot.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”