Belt building alternative to the 1.1 forced straight line fix

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

AlveKatt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Belt building alternative to the 1.1 forced straight line fix

Post by AlveKatt »

TL;DR
Belt building now has the feature to always follow a straight line when holding down the build button. I have an alternative suggestion that fixes the issue this was meant to solve without limiting how you paint down belts.

What ?
Instead of forcing a straight line, anchor the mouse pointer in relation to to the game world when the character is holding the build button and is moved in any direction that isn't the direct result of a player input, such as when you hit an electric pole or anything that pushes your trajectory to the side.

In other words, Instead of locking the belt to a straight line, move the mouse pointer in the opposite direction when the player trajectory is changed by something else than direct player input.
Why ?
When building a bus, anything with more the one belt alongside each other, the new behaviour is annoying. You also feel kind of trapped. And it would help building straight with everything, not only belts.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Belt building alternative to the 1.1 forced straight line fix

Post by Serenity »

Or change the behavior with a key. Like holding down shift or control

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

AlveKatt wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:01 am
Instead of forcing a straight line, anchor the mouse pointer in relation to to the game world when the character is holding the build button and is moved in any direction that isn't the direct result of a player input, such as when you hit an electric pole or anything that pushes your trajectory to the side.

In other words, Instead of locking the belt to a straight line, move the mouse pointer in the opposite direction when the player trajectory is changed by something else than direct player input.
I had to read this a couple of times to get what you're saying.

The scenario you're talking about is: You're running along laying belts, when suddenly you bump into a rock, or assembly machine, or electric pole, whatever. Suddenly your belts all go off track.

The idea here would be that if your character is moved in a direction you're not intentionally running, your mouse pointer wouldn't also move in that direction.

How far would this go, though? For example, you're running left and you run across several columns of blue belts. Enough blue belts might carry you quite a way up the screen, far enough that your mouse pointer would hit the edge of the screen. And then what?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Your suggested solution seems to completely ignore belt-line building without character movement.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Seems pretty similar to viewtopic.php?f=6&t=91538 to me.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

AlveKatt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AlveKatt »

Koub wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:15 pm
Seems pretty similar to viewtopic.php?f=6&t=91538 to me.
My wish would be that both the things in this suggestion and the one you link to were to be implemented.
And yeah, same problem, rather different suggestions for a solution though. And mine works for all the other stuff too. Not just belts.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

I know a lot of people have said they are having issues with this, but I personally have stopped really noticing it. It I want to place many belts in a row, I just copy-paste.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:31 pm
I know a lot of people have said they are having issues with this, but I personally have stopped really noticing it. It I want to place many belts in a row, I just copy-paste.
It can be annoying. I already had saved blueprints for 4-wide belts & 4-wide turns, though, so I've dodged a lot of it.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”