[1.1.3] Rail signal's output signals names need to change

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.3] Rail signal's output signals names need to change

Post by ickputzdirwech »

I envisioned more like this. But you got the idea.
with LEDs.png
with LEDs.png (100.83 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

dangerarea wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:34 am
Essentially (but not tooltip friendly):

Red - no available route past this signal
Yellow - caution, slow down and stop at the next signal
Green - all clear, go go go
Blue - some routes are available (but it might not be yours)
Yellow - all clear, go go go
Green - no train approaching

Signal colors in factorio aren't useful for train drivers as they'll only see the yellow of their own reservation or red/blue at a signal they have to stop in front of. The current scheme is more useful to someone intending to cross the tracks...

Regarding the actual topic, the description currently matches the aspect shown by the signal and wouldn't loose that meaning even if the default signals were A/B/C/D. Using the matching colored signals makes sense, but isn't required for understanding when which signal will be emitted.

Understanding the meaning of each signal aspect is a completely different issue. The circuit network UI may be changed to display the meaning instead of the aspect, but it shouldn't be the place where a player learns the meanings of each aspect. I.e. a circuit network UI set to
Blocked - A
Reserved - B
(All) Free - C
Partially Free - D
must still be understandable without knowing the default signal for each meaning. Including colored dots showing the corresponding aspect won't help colorblind players, so the UI must be understandable without them.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Nidan wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:03 pm
Including colored dots showing the corresponding aspect won't help colorblind players
I am no expert here, but writing "red" or "green" is probably even less helpful for a colorblind person than showing the colorblind person the same color as the chain signal shows and a description of the functionality corresponding to that color.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:13 pm
Nidan wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:03 pm
Including colored dots showing the corresponding aspect won't help colorblind players
I am no expert here, but writing "red" or "green" is probably even less helpful for a colorblind person than showing the colorblind person the same color as the chain signal shows and a description of the functionality corresponding to that color.
For chain signals, true. For normal signals you at least have the position of the lights.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

Nidan wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:51 pm
For chain signals, true. For normal signals you at least have the position of the lights.
Yep. Which is borrowed from real signalling, which uses the position of the lights for that exact reason.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”