QoL Inventory: Slot Filtered Item Auto-Deselect by clicking on another Slot Filtered Item

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

QoL Inventory: Slot Filtered Item Auto-Deselect by clicking on another Slot Filtered Item

Post by Durabys »

What it says in the name:
I have two rows of blue filter slots up in my inventory. I pick a filtered slot item, e.g. rails, build them on the map manually, then click to open inventory again, still holding the rails in my hand (and now comes the important part), then I always, ALWAYS, click on another item I want build, e.g. rail signal, but it tells me an error that I cannot insert a different item into filter slot Bla Bla Bla. I would like if it was possible to automatically send the e.g. rails I hold my hand back to their own filter slot when I click another different filtered slot item, that I then pick up while the rails return back.

This would save one entire mouse click and several centimeters of mouse movement.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: QoL Inventory: Slot Filtered Item Auto-Deselect by clicking on another Slot Filtered Item

Post by ssilk »

Press Q.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: QoL Inventory: Slot Filtered Item Auto-Deselect by clicking on another Slot Filtered Item

Post by Durabys »

ssilk wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:37 am
Press Q.
I think you are not getting it. I am currently testing the game, clicking Q while holding a filtered item to switch to another in the inventory and it doesn't work.

I will repeat myself more clearly: When I am holding a filtered slot item I would like to click on another filtered slot item in the inventory and have the first item (the one I held initially) jump straight back to its own filtered slot while the new one jumps to my hand from its filtered slot that I have clicked upon. I am getting this annoying message instead:
"Only X can be inserted into this slot. If you want to put something else here the filter has to be cleared."

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

ssilk meant that you can clear your cursor first by pressing Q. With an empty cursor the game won’t try to put something in the filtered slot that doesn’t belong there. I agree that your suggestion would make some interactions easier since you wouldn’t have to clear your cursor with Q first. But I think the use cases are very rare. My personal advice would be to use the quickbar instead. With up to four rows of ten items I rarely have to open my inventory at all. Your suggestion would kind of turn the whole inventory in a giant quickbar.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:59 am
ssilk meant that you can clear your cursor first by pressing Q. With an empty cursor the game won’t try to put something in the filtered slot that doesn’t belong there. I agree that your suggestion would make some interactions easier since you wouldn’t have to clear your cursor with Q first. But I think the use cases are very rare. My personal advice would be to use the quickbar instead. With up to four rows of ten items I rarely have to open my inventory at all. Your suggestion would kind of turn the whole inventory in a giant quickbar.
And that's a bad thing why?

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

It was meant more like a factual statement than an opinion but I don’t want to split hairs with you.

I think this idea is interesting if you consider the recent changes the devs made to the quickbar (and reverted again for the most part). Following the new rules this suggestion would be obsolete for consistency reasons because you would always have to clear your cursor before you click a filtered slot in the quickbar or the inventory.

Following the old rules (the new new) this would make more sense. There would be some more cases however that would have to be considered: What should happen if no filtered slot for the item in your cursor is available? What should happen if you click a filtered slot in an entity inventory like a car?

I personally don’t use filtered inventory slots at all and three quickbar rows are usually more than enough for my needs. So this wouldn’t affect me at all. I am therefore curious: How much do you use the quickbar? How many filtered inventory slots do you usually have? Have you auto sorting enabled?
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:07 pm
It was meant more like a factual statement than an opinion but I don’t want to split hairs with you.

I think this idea is interesting if you consider the recent changes the devs made to the quickbar (and reverted again for the most part). Following the new rules this suggestion would be obsolete for consistency reasons because you would always have to clear your cursor before you click a filtered slot in the quickbar or the inventory.

Following the old rules (the new new) this would make more sense. There would be some more cases however that would have to be considered: What should happen if no filtered slot for the item in your cursor is available? What should happen if you click a filtered slot in an entity inventory like a car?

I personally don’t use filtered inventory slots at all and three quickbar rows are usually more than enough for my needs. So this wouldn’t affect me at all. I am therefore curious: How much do you use the quickbar? How many filtered inventory slots do you usually have? Have you auto sorting enabled?
This was mostly an idea I brought because I wanted the Devs at Wube to at least know that the idea exists.

If you click on an unfilter slot, you take the item from it and the filter slot item you held previously jumps to its own filter slot.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”