"Mark all as read" for new item notifications in Crafting tab

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

"Mark all as read" for new item notifications in Crafting tab

Post by kirazy »

So I know that in a regular game you get items and recipe unlocks in a more organic fashion, so perhaps it's not as cumbersome to clear the notifications...

But in my modding development I've happened to unlock hundreds of items at once so the entire crafting grid is a wall of yellow explanation points. Is there a possibility we could get a button to mark all as read? :D?

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: "Mark all as read" for new item notifications in Crafting tab

Post by Bilka »

Just turn them off in the interface settings for your dev instance.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

I'm still thinking of instances in, e.g. Angel+Bob where you unlock dozens of recipes quite rapidly and mousing over each one of them to make them go away would be obnoxious, but you'd still want to have them show up for some of the recipes.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Just thought of researching "Fluid handling" when playing with Angel+Bob. *shudder*

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I don’t understand exactly the why. Why is it so disturbing?

You will pretty surely move your mouse over all entities during normal gameplay, aren’t you? Nobody forces the player to remove the “!” just when they appear ... and personally I would use that to say “oh, and then what else is new and needs to be tested out?”.

Or is it just the graphical noise it has?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:01 am
I don’t understand exactly the why. Why is it so disturbing?

You will pretty surely move your mouse over all entities during normal gameplay, aren’t you? Nobody forces the player to remove the “!” just when they appear ... and personally I would use that to say “oh, and then what else is new and needs to be tested out?”.

Or is it just the graphical noise it has?
The fluid tab in Angel's adds like 100 fluid-related recipes. Odds are you won't ever mouse over most of those, because you can't hand craft them, so there will be a persistent (!) until you clear it manually.

I'm not sure why there's such a strong push back against a mark all as read.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

kirazy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:17 am
Oh, I’m not against it. I just asked to clarify and made examples, why I need clarification.

And I need another clarification: when I hit “mark all as read” (which sounds wrong, because I don’t “read” the icons, better would be “seen”, but that sounds also somehow wired, but English is not my native language ), what should be marked as read? All entities or just those in the current tab?

Can I undo that action? Situation: new player tries out this function and clicks on it. “Oh, I didn’t want that it disappears, that was helpful!”
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:38 am
kirazy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:17 am
Oh, I’m not against it. I just asked to clarify and made examples, why I need clarification.

And I need another clarification: when I hit “mark all as read” (which sounds wrong, because I don’t “read” the icons, better would be “seen”, but that sounds also somehow wired, but English is not my native language ), what should be marked as read? All entities or just those in the current tab?

Can I undo that action? Situation: new player tries out this function and clicks on it. “Oh, I didn’t want that it disappears, that was helpful!”
"Mark all as read" is a very common phraseology for notifications, emails, etc. Typical behavior across an entire world of email programs and various applications is that mark all as read is the current folder/app, and cannot be undone. I would expect most people to be familiar with such behavior.

I'd like it to clear notifications on a per-category/tab basis, rather than all notifications on all items/recipes.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”