Give an option in the interface menu to revert to old quickbar behavior.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Give an option in the interface menu to revert to old quickbar behavior.

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

It seems that there is a general consensus that the old behavior is nicer because it is hard to accidentally click the incorrect item and move filters around. I can see why you changed it: there has been lots of confusion among new players, but we like the old behavior better.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Xenophore
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Give an option in the interface menu to revert to old quickbar behavior.

Post by Xenophore »

+1 to an option for the old behaviour or to change it to behave like filter slots.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:24 am
It seems that there is a general consensus that the old behavior is nicer
It doesn't really seem that way to me

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Klonan wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:38 am
AmericanPatriot wrote:
It seems that there is a general consensus that the old behavior is nicer
It doesn't really seem that way to me
there is at least on the discord
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I wouldn't even have noticed if people hadn't complained about it, as I systematically clear my cursor every time I switch from one slot to another (as when a slot is empty, clicking on it adds the item held in the cursor, which is undesired behaviour in general).
For me the new way makes perfectly sense.
The fact that all the people who don't like it and express it make a consensus, seems quite logical.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

+1

I never clear the cursor because that's an extra button press, which is inefficient. In the old system left-mouse-button was always "take" and middle was "set filter". Now it's context-dependant smart magic that punishes "wrong" clicks by messing up my quickbar order.

I thought the whole point of moving to the "quickbar of links" ui scheme was to make players put active thoughts into what goes where on the quickbar. But now it's back to unsorted inventory like behavior.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
It seems that there is a general consensus that the old behavior is nicer because it is hard to accidentally click the incorrect item and move filters around. I can see why you changed it: there has been lots of confusion among new players, but we like the old behavior better.
People don't complain when they like something. They also don't complain when they don't notice something. I wouldn't have noticed it because I always clear my cursor before interacting with the quickbar. It just feels wrong to click on it with something in my hand.

That said, I don't see why they changed it really. I assume there's a reason but I don't know what that reason is. I don't think "this is better, period" was it.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

5thHorseman wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:56 am
People don't complain when they like something. They also don't complain when they don't notice something.
Conveniently pretend that some fictional, immeasurable and invisible "silent majority" is on your side? With that "argument" you can arbitrarily dismiss anything and everything. Let's try:

People don't post thank you comments when they hate something. They also don't complain when they assume that their complaints will be ignored anyway.

[Edit:] Because apparently nowadays it's important to say this: This is not a personal attack. This is just showing a logical fallacy.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

+1

I just recently noticed, that clicking an item directly without clearing the cursor, is more efficient than clearing the cursor first. :)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

For the record: Kovarex said he'll implement an option.
kovarex wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:49 pm
I'm quite surprised by the complaints related to the quickbar change. It seems like a super obvious thing to me, that I always clear the cursor automatically whenever I'm done doing something with an item. Clicking some other quickbar item with something else is hand is just something that doesn't happen, but apparently they are people that don't do that. I will make an option that locks the quickbar for people doing fat-finger actions too often.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

I already said this in the 1.1.0 release topic, so just to put it in the right topic :

+1, I won't fight to death for it, but the new behavior (shortcut changing by left clicking with item in hand) makes the shortcut bar setup too fragile IMO.

Even if picking items in the bar with the mouse isn't the intended use, it's not utterly wrong IMO, because the game allows up to 4 shortcut bars at the same time, which cannot all be linked to a keyboard shortcut.

I'm glad that we'll get an option to use the previous behavior.

brevven
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by brevven »

Please add this option or at least an option to lock individual quickbar slots like the toolbelt used to have and inventory currently has.
I exclusively use the quickbar with my mouse.

So far, in my current experience with the new behavior:
- Things are not where I expect them to be, as I've clicked them away accidentally.
- As such my well-organized quickbar is completely disorganized.
- Commonly used things end up in multiple quickbar slots as they override less common things (because of next 2 points)
- There's no "easy" way to undo the damage even if you do notice. If you click one, click another, and then try to fix it, you just end up with the first thing in both slots.
- It's far too easy to completely "ruin" your quickbar setup in a few clicks: If you click one item, and then a second, the first replaces the second and the second moves onto your cursor, if you then click a third, the second replaces the third but stays on your cursor (and overwrites any further clicks).

I have a current workaround for this issue:
- locking the bottom few rows of inventory slots and opening it every time I want to build. This is not ideal but at least it stays organized.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:19 pm
For the record: Kovarex said he'll implement an option.
kovarex wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:49 pm
I'm quite surprised by the complaints related to the quickbar change. It seems like a super obvious thing to me, that I always clear the cursor automatically whenever I'm done doing something with an item. Clicking some other quickbar item with something else is hand is just something that doesn't happen, but apparently they are people that don't do that. I will make an option that locks the quickbar for people doing fat-finger actions too often.
[Koub] Kovarex has said this will be option controlled soon, so there will be an option for this. No need to ask for it, it's coming. Locking this thread.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”